McDonald's

Christchurch, Canterbury16 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 16 reviews matching the searchSee all 217,702 reviews

An okay work place

Work was pretty okay, not always the most nicest environment to work with. can be majorly stressful most days but the co-workers made it more enjoyable.

Not a nice place to work

Managers are not nice. Lots of bitchyness and cattiness. Clicks form and you get bullied. Managers and higher ups don't listen to you when you have genuine concerns.

Fast Paced and stressful

The workplace culture of McDonald's is very toxic. The hours we get asked to do are ridiculous with no security in stable hours each week and the rostered hours change every week which makes it very difficult to establish a routine. Crew people are looked down upon by management if we do now actively go above and beyond in every aspect of our work, including when asked to cover shifts. This has meant that I've been asked to do 12+ hours shifts on numerous occasions. The team and collaborative work style in truly incredible at McDonald's and without my team, the job would've been near impossible. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to learn the different areas of the restaurant and discovering where my passions lay in the food industry. I also really enjoyed the frequent customers we received over the years and getting to know them better and being able to have conversations with them which made the job more personable.

First time working for franchise, not great experience, much better organised and operated from my time in UK & Taiwan, very biased to local work.

First time working for franchisee, not great experience, much better organised and operated from my time overseas where it was a centrally operated business, very biased to local worker, very poor standards, follow the business rules only when head of office visit.

Boring but reliable workplace

Only worked here for 3 months, found it very boring but gained at least some retail/customer service experience and it wasn't horrible. Worked mostly evening or weekend shifts.

I mean, it's work

I wouldn't recommend working here if you still have other options open, while it was good it is hard work, stressful, very fast paced with high expectations for not great pay or a thank you

Pros

Great co-workers, Relatively flexible, Pay increase every so often

Cons

Some power hungry managers, Unsympathetic management, Underpaid managers, Long hours, Bad breaks

Good

Some people were okay to work with and a lot were great and really friendly. Enjoyed going out to work parties during weekends and after work as well.

Poor Management Team

Some (very little) managers are great at running their shifts and others are just disrespectful to us crew members and even other managers. It can be quite a stressful place to work.

Pros

half price food

Cons

management

Fun work place

It was a fun work place with friendly staff and management. The hardest part of the job was during the weekend when we got really busy although I found it enjoyable still.

Pros

Bonus', Free meals, Amazing team, Fast paced

Cons

Wage

Friendly behaviour

Was good experience working there and one of the busiest company in hospitality i used to do night shifts sometimes had to manage shift runnings as well

Pros

Free meal

good first job for beginners

a great first job to get you started in the hospo industry. or any industry really, always have a great supportive team to work with, teaches you a lot of customer service skills.

Good Working Environment and Best For Freshers

Busy work environment. I improved my customer service skills, maintaining food hygiene and high level of Work place standards. The co-workers are all friendly. The hardest part of the job is when you have to give service quikly during rush hours while maintaining all standards.

Pros

Free Lunches, Flexibility with working hours

Cons

Irregular Roaster

Fun work environment

The team environment is amazing. Everyone got along so well. Hours were flexible (within reason). The atmosphere was a really enjoyable and comfortable place to work.

Crew - Shift Manager

Great start for learning and experience working in an overnight role, meet and learnt alot about customers, their behaviours, the change in the 3 am rush when clubs close and the overall different types of people. Training was great, people and staff were supportive and everyone wanted to help in one way or another. Management was supportive, until I moved to another store and they did alot of stuff differently from what we had been trained in the previous two stores so it was alittle differcult and the store Manager was not very supportive of me personally, the rest he was and the other managers were nice, just kept saying it was becausse ias new. I didnt mind him, i did what i knew and was taught, and maintained myself.

It was a fun and energetic workplace.

Fun work place with supportive workplace. A little under staffed but was a great experience. The people really make it wonderful to work there.

Pros

Free meals after certain length of hours worked.

Cons

Understaffed

Unorganised and uncaring

Management was not very helpful in development of needs and health in the workplace. It was made to make you leave if you had an illness and for someone with anxiety they tried to keep you working though you cannot and almost pass out

Pros

Meals

Cons

Various hours and management

• McDonald's
  • Christchurch, Canterbury
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?