McDonald's

Lower Hutt, Wellington16 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 16 reviews matching the searchSee all 217,725 reviews

Be prepared

When I first started I adjusted to the environment quite fast, I soon learned that the work environment is very competitive and stressful. Some days are better than others and often hard to work in. Overall, it is an interesting experience and I've learned a lot of new skills and met a lot of people.

Pros

Half-price meals.

Cons

Long hours, stressful rushes

The job isn’t too bad, the corruption is

Did a 18 hour shift once and was expected to come back the next day, Ran an overnight shift in a new store with no training then they complained when the system shut down wasn’t done correctly. So many stories of how bad it is at any maccas store in the hutt valley

fun workplace but stressful

A typical day at work is running around to get everything sorted out. Not everyone knows what they are supposed to be doing and it makes the job even harder to do.

Good for a first job

A typical day at work would be showing up, clocking in and then jumping onto the job you're assigned. I learned how to use a Point of Sale system, how to put down food, and dealing with issues customers have. The management at Mcdonald's could be better, I noticed that my shifts were only smooth if my managers were in a good mood. Workplace culture was great! You make new friends who know what you're feeling when you're working. The hardest part would be the rush hours because you can't fall behind as it impacts the store. The most enjoyable would be the discounted food, and great friends you make.

Pros

discounted food

Cons

discounted food if you're trying to be healthy

fun workplace

really enjoyed my time with this company, all staff and management were great to get along with. Everyone worked well as a team, in and out of work hours.

Pros

friendly, discounted food

Cons

at sometimes heavy lifting required.

Caring staff

Very friendly staff, always somethong to do at work. Only down side is that unifrom is uncomfortable. Always new challenges eah day/ week. Highly recommend working at mcdonalds

Pros

50% off lunch

Challenging but rewarding

Each shift is, without a doubt, going to be different from the last. Keeps you on your toes and your mind ticking. We get unpredictable rushes which you have to adapt to and a different team working with you on each shift. Like any job, it has its real awful days and its really awesome days! The management team is well run and are always looking to help you improve on your skills to give customers the ultimate satisfactory experience. The hardest part is when you are understaffed and are making more sales then projected because you might be low in stock or hands on board and it wears you out. Understaffed can also mean getting breaks late which tires you out but you do get heaps of credit from the management team when they see you working hard.

Pros

Qualifications, Stars

Cons

Not always getting your entitled breaks, not always enough hours, or too many hours

fast paste

McDonalds was just a job till I found something with more hours, its not my cup of tea so I am currently looking for something with more hours.

Pros

half price food

Cons

hardly any hours, different shifts

Two Sides to a Coin

I do enjoy working at McDonald's Lower Hutt. The people who work there make it an enjoyable place. The work itself is not complicated or hard. Straight forward processes and easy to pick up how business goes. However, the environment or feel for the place is really bad. Poor direction and focus from senior management, which in my opinion, is the main reason why the Lower Hutt store is under performing.

Pros

The people who work there

Cons

Work Ethic and Business culture

Very productive yet fun workplace

several different tasks were involved in a typical day at work such as serving customers over the counter, cash handling, hosting childrens birthday parties, cooking food out back and cleaning, or serving customers via drive-thru. I learned how to multi-task and work fast at mcdonalds. I learned how to help others efficiently whilst doing my own work at the same time. It taught me how important it is to work as a team and how important customer service is. I found the co-workers were awesome to work with, it was a very friendly environment yet productive and there was always things to be done and managers kept on top of ensuring employees were doing something at all times if they didn't use their initiative. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with abusive customers who refused to calm down or cooperate. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was hosting the kids parties and making them happy as well as seeing everyone at work because it was always a positive happy environment.

Pros

50% food and social club where we did fun events together

love working around people and do my best to serve customers

i have always love working at MacDonald i work at MacDonald before but in Auckland , so im looking for a job at MacDonald in lower hutt

Pros

buy lunches

Cons

40 hrs

Productive and Target orientated

Great environment to be working in as we are more like a family than co workers. The hardest part of this job would be working in the hot kitchen on a summers day otherwise its a great place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles on the customers faces from the lovely service they get as well as having regulars who come there because they enjoy the service you give them.

Pros

free meals ad discounted meals

Cons

long hours on your feet in uncomfortable shoes

Fast paced and friendly

I was a crew member and McCafe crew member spending most of my time on McCafe where we were in charge of taking coffee orders and delivering barista standard coffee to customers. We also had a small variety of semi cafe style food available from our display cabinet in which we had to set up every morning. In the McCafe Crew role i learnt how to make quality barista style coffee at a fast pace. I also learnt how to open and close the McCafe area including the maintenance of the coffee machine and food cabinet. Working on the Crew side was a pretty similar experience, I was generally based in the front area where we have to deal with customers, taking and delivering orders at a fast pace. The crew i worked with were generally friendly and happy to give hand if someone was struggling to keep up. We also shared our skills and offered advice to others.

Pros

If we passed both our GAPS we got free meals. Half price food during our shift.

Cons

Rosters changing every week/ not set hours

Fun workplace but still productive

A typical day working at McDonalds was rather fun but always very busy during rush hours of lunch and dinner. It was fun because all staff were very friendly, helpful, and did their part. It generally involved serving customers on the till, handling cash and eftpos transactions, collecting food and beverages for the customers and making sure they all leave with a smile. I learned to speak very well with customers handle problems well by either giving them what they wanted or communicating with the shift manager. I learned there a many small things you can do to help customers which I did. such as opening doors carrying food out for the elderly or other people who couldn't carry everything at once. I learnt how to cook all different types of meat and how to prep food and make it. I learnt how to clean things well and how there is always work that can be done when we are not busy. All co-workers were overall really lovely and great fun to work with. The hardest part of the job for me would be when you get drunk or abusive customers as it can be upsetting, also trying to work as fast as you can when put under pressure. The most enjoyable part to me was seeing my co-workers and having a laugh with them whilst working.

Pros

50% of food and free drink on breaks

Cons

sometimes long hours or a shift you really need off but have to do

Enjoyable but limiting workplace.

Working in this job has a larger demand on the likes of hospitality and teamwork than anything else, making it an enjoyable place to be and work with a bunch of friendly people. However there is a limit as to how far you can go regarding training and experience. Training on all stations within the workplace gives a wealth of knowledge and experience on the tools and technology used in the fast-food industry, but once this point has been reached your options for further enhancement as a crew person becomes more limited.

Pros

Half-price lunches, many new friends.

Cons

Minimum wage until promoted to a Trainer.

Social, Fast paced Work enviroment

I enjoyed working here as i developed alot of work and life skills, such as communication and customer service

• McDonald's