McDonald's

Barista23 reviews
New Zealand23 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 23 reviews matching the searchSee all 217,428 reviews

enjoyed the job title but not the people.

I really enjoyed the job itself and being able to work in the cafe but the other employees were not the nicest towards me. at times i felt like i wasnt welcome to work there.

Management are bullies

I was a high school student when I worked here. Management were middle-aged bullies that take advantage of hs kids not knowing their employment rights/being generally naive.

Productive, fast paced and fun working environment

Great place to work. They are really great with college students and work around school and studies. When I started there were a lot of students working there. We all got on really well. We all came from different colleges, backgrounds, religions, cultures and ethnicities. Everyone was very respectful of each other and we just got on with it. Management were awesome with us (as we were quite young). It was a great feeling being able to earn money while still being at college. It taught me commitment and that if we couldn't make it to a shift we were letting someone down. So the incentive was always there to show up - other than when we had to study for exams. It's a great place to work though.

Fast paced job working alongside a team of people

Always looked forward to coming into work and working alongside a team of positive and helpful crew members. Really loved working at a fast pace and enjoyed giving great customer service along with completing and keeping up with orders. This was a great job for someone like me who loves to work in the hospitality industry.

Pros

Half price meals

Good first job.

It’s a good place to learn and grow, working at McDonald’s you get taught how to deal with customers, you’re in a fast paced environment, I don’t like how we don’t get weekend rates, it’s unfair.

Pros

Half price under $13 half an hour before or after a shift.

Cons

Tiled floors hurt the knees and customers always treat you as though they are superior to you.

Busy, fast pace, enjoyable workplace working with a team of people

Worked for nine months at Mcdonalds serving customers needs, working on the till, taking and delivering orders, barista, and anything else that needed doing also. I enjoyed working with a team and at a fast pace. I also enjoyed coming into work each day and working alongside my team to get the job done.

Flexible but unstable

A typical day at work starts early with a constant flow of people so having people skills is essential. I learnt customer service working for mc donalds because it is the main focus, problem solving is next because no day is ever the same therefore a different problem happenes everyday. Workplace culture is very diverse people from all walks of life work in mc donalds restaurants ranging from school kids to young adults, parents and grandparents with a mix of cultures. The hardest part of the job is securing hours. Like most businesses most parents with young children need 9-5 five days a week which is fine unless youre a 24/7 business you need people to work outside of those hours. Mc donalds cant provide all parents with those hours because they would lose money. The most enjoyable part of the job is the experience the friendships and genuinely making people happy.

Pretty good

Whilst management has its moments overall they are lovely people. You really get to know everyone who works there and we all look after each other. The customers are trying at times and can make your day unbearable, but overall the other workers are great and that is what is important.

Fun workplace

Love the workplace culture and the people I work with. Do not enjoy managers telling me to do one thing then the next thing to do while im still completing the activity they told me to do earlier. They bunch up so much work on you during the day and panic so much when it gets busy. Most managers just sit in their office not worrying about the employees who are struggling at the front counter when its really busy. Sometimes I won't get my first break till 5 hours later from my start time.

Productive and busy orkplaces

I enjoyed the people I worked with and the challenges I faced when orders came in on a busy day. A very busy job to work at and can be physically and mentally draining but worth the challenge and seeing customers appreciate your efforts getting their order ready. Hardest part would be dealing with difficult customers or being on a shift with staff not tuning up to shifts which makes the work load heavier doing twice as much work. Working at McDonalds is great for a kick start job, very tiresome but you get through with the fun and diverse young people who work with you. Maccas helps you further your career also. Enjoyed my time there.

Pros

Discounts. Fun environment. Great people.

Cons

Not a reasonable pay for the hardwork that goes into working at Maccas.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at McDonald's?

Your typical Fast food place

Regularly hard work. I often just worked in the cafe alone during busy times, which was hard and stressful work. I also regularly did the delivery shifts, where I assisted in bringing in the new product for the next couple days, moving often 2 tonnes worth of product.

Pros

Learn to work in a fast pace environment

Cons

Working in fast food

Productive and professional workplace

This job requires you to endure difficult situations with customers. You gained the skills and confidence to handle angry customers with best intentions. I have gained the skills to multitask under pressure (eg speaking with a customer on the speaker while making coffee and dealing with another customer on kiosk). This particular skill has to be the hardest part of the job. At times the circumstance you are in exceeds you and you freak out. However, you are surrounded by great workers who over the process becomes like your family. The people have to be the best part of the job.

Pros

Half price meals

Cons

Extended hours

Easy, Friendly

Best for students who want easy work, can be stressful at times dealing with rush hours and difficult customers. Can be fun working with the right people and time off is flexible as there are so many employees.

I love my job and enjoy making coffee

Prepares and sells coffee by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques for coffee drinks, such as, Mocha, Long Black, Expresso, Caffe Latte, and Cappuccino. Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs. Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following organization standards and sanitation regulations.

Cultured Atmosphere

Real family orientated, loved the many different cultures. Fun and productive with a lot of opportunity to advance, Fast paced pressured work place. Face to face conduct, personal relationships,

Pros

Meet New People

Cons

Long Hours

Fun workplace

The most enjoyable part of the day is the fact that it's not the same, every day. Different customers, different orders, everything is different, and that's what i most enjoy. I enjoy delivering satisfying customer service to customers knowing that I've improved their day.

Pros

New people everyday, awesome crew.

Cons

Long process to move up.

busy day

Having rude customers and to deal with them but what I learned from it is just keep on smiling because the end off the day you do not know them nor keep in touch with them. Our managers make sure they deal with the problem and make sure the workers are okay. It is all about team work. my most enjoyable part of the job is see my regular customers because they keep me going and positive attitudes.

Pros

half price on a meal

fun, face paced

making serving barista made coffees, preparing and serving food, customer service, EFTPOS and cashier operations, running shifts, helping to train new empoyees

Enjoy working in a fast work enviroment

In a typical day was starting at 5am preparing food for McCafe and then once the store opens at 6am got busy making coffee and serving customers. I learnt different ways of coffee making, food preparation and so on. The supervisors were very helpful people and would help you when you are very busy and are not able to cope alone. We had a team of very friendly and helpful people so that no one felt like they were been left out at any point of time. The hardest part of the job was getting started so early in the morning. I enjoy talking to people while serving them and that was the most interesting part of my job.

Pros

Management taking good care of the employees

Cons

Starting very early in the Morning at 5am

Awsome workspace

How to interact with different cultures learning new things everyday very structured shift starts then how ever the customers come through hardest part not knowing the busy times enjoyable part all the people :)

Pros

cheap food

Cons

casual hours

its okay

working with customers handling with money 50% discount on your lunch break 10% discount otherwise new uniform shift work how to display good coffee

• McDonald's