McDonald's

Shift Manager38 reviews
New Zealand38 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 38 reviews matching the searchSee all 217,428 reviews

Fast paced but lots of opportunities to learn

Great place to start your career as they have their own courses which you can do. Good career development and self development opportunities. Collaborative coworkers and amazing benefits by company.

Pros

Manageable hours and discounts.

Cons

Short staffed sometimes

McDonalds :/

Working at McDonald's for about 3 years now. Not every store is the same. Depends on the people which leads to toxic vibes. Hardest part was defiantly the customers and young kids working there. The young teens don't take the job serious and the customers can be very brutal. I did however learn quite a lot that will help me get into other jobs. As I went up to management quite fast.

Pros

Managers get free food, Crew get half price

Cons

no routine, 9-10 hour gaps in between shifts.

The job isn’t too bad, the corruption is

Did a 18 hour shift once and was expected to come back the next day, Ran an overnight shift in a new store with no training then they complained when the system shut down wasn’t done correctly. So many stories of how bad it is at any maccas store in the hutt valley

Fast Paced Work environment

This job is fast paced especially within peak times. Fun work environment. There’s room for growth here. They encourage development and train staff accordingly.

Pros

Discounted Meals

Stressful and demanding

Work for McDonald's if you want to work for a place that just takes takes takes until their employees are completely empty. They have strict expectations which are almost impossible to meet.

Pros

Fun crew

Cons

Higher management, no recognition

work

Working here was good experiences for me, and I learnt so much and grew so much from this job. I was giving opportunities by my employers to go further and that what i did.

Fun workplace

Management was good. days can be vary sometime very busy sometime quiet but freindly staff and fun place to work. develop my management skills by working there.

Pros

staff Discounts

Cons

Short staff

Productive and fun place to work with diverse people, usually youngsters

You always have something new to learn and do. High turn over, usually school kid, uni students, place to know people from divers community and age. On going training, opportunity to step a ladder, team work, management of time and people. Customer Service focused, attention to food safety, work safety and hygiene. Social club to join and enjoy outing with the crew members .

Pros

Managers get free lunch. Crews get 50% off . Birthday meals and crew recognition

Cons

Really busy store and might have to work long hours when needed.

Stressful place to work at

Dealing with rude customers everyday is changing my life to see the worst in others. Roster shift has been the worst, sometimes had to work 5-6 days only for 32 hours which is sucks. Free meal as a manager is a good thing n half price for the crews. Enjoy work with few of my other staff but some annoying people you don't want to turn up work with them in same shift lol. Management is alright but don't share them anything coz everyone in the stores will know it. MCD will good for your first job but don't get stuck there coz you will always complain about everything happen everyday.

Pros

Free meal

Cons

Short hours in 5 days work

Great Place to work

Fun vibrant place to work with lovely management and great team environment. On a day to day basis your working environment will change for the better, and you will be learning and achieving new things every day great place to work.

Productive and FUN workplace

McDonalds is a great place to start with, it gives you a lot of basic skills that you will need later in your life. The people you meet, are all different, crazy, kind, and FUN. I loved working here for 4 years, its helped build confidence and who I've become today. Every day is different, you're obviously satisfying customers needs, bringing them the best quality and service around. But also each day can fluctuate with customers, bringing different stress levels with it. The managers are usually quite supportive, as are the higher management to our younger staff. It is a friendly place to work in, and you make some life long friends there. I wouldn't say there is a particular hard or easy part, as its a job, and once you're trained on everything it becomes second nature. As are there all the pretty parts, negatives do also come with this job. Its not a fairytale all the time.

Pros

Cool co-workers.

Cons

long hours, manipulative managers

I have been enjoying working with the crew and the management team are very friendly. Hours are flexible. Dealing with the customers,cash and complaints.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Depend on contract

fun workplace

really enjoyed my time with this company, all staff and management were great to get along with. Everyone worked well as a team, in and out of work hours.

Pros

friendly, discounted food

Cons

at sometimes heavy lifting required.

Intersting and challenging

Serving customers and making burgers etc. learned that you have to stay calm even when you have angry people in front of you. Most of the culture was good but you did have some people that just wouldn't get along or listen to the managers. Hardest part was having to do everything at night nearly all by yourself and with no support

Pros

Managers got free meals

Cons

short notice of shifts working

productive

a good place to work lots of things to learn to face different ppl every day and to learn new things, I like working in this company there are new challenges to face every day.And its fun place to work

diverse cultural workplace

A the end of the day, it all comes down to this "customer-centric focus element for building customer relationship by being energetic and in a vibrant fashion, to create a fun store environment. This emphasizing customer-service orientation, and how it is used to associate good experiences with the brand. I think the hardest part for me was constantly working overnight shifts. This impacted heavily on my study as well as social. I think if Macdonalds is gonna hire students they should be allowed only one overnight shift, and possibly allow rotations for weekends.

Very busy workplace but yet fun

My fast job what can I say but fun fun fun. Every body love McDonald's so can't go wrong specially when you have a nice boss to work for and great team members

Pros

Free management training/foods/travel allowance/

Cons

Sometimes Long hour

good place to work

good place to work, fun and professional work environment.i really appreciate the way they support their employees . always encourage them by providing them awarded and feedbacks they deserve. Thanks

Stressful

They didn't help me with anything. All they did was criticised me on everything. They were rude and mean. Not how owners should be. They have no idea what they're doing and should have their licence revoked.

If you have a busy life this is a good job for you

There is a collective agreement which covers the numbers of hours an employee works. As long as you work the hours you are given and on average you will be garanteed those number hours no matter if the business is going slow or not.

Pros

collective agreements, free meals for managers

Cons

balancing of crew numbers

Everything was great

I had great experience while working with McDonald's Auckland and Hastings(Newzealand). The management of McDonald's was really good. I worked with multi cultural people though. I have good management skills which helps me a lot to performe my job better.

Pros

Free meal during shift

Cons

40 hours a week or 9 hours a day

• McDonald's
  • Shift Manager
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?