McDonald's

New Zealand71 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 71 reviews matching the searchSee all 217,725 reviews

Fun and good experience

a good place to work as a student. very flexible hours and very chill if it's quiet. but some managers are very rude to the staff. they just keep telling people what to do but they themselves just want to do nothing.

Pros

discount or free meals. travel fees

Cons

bad managers

Making do with bad management

Training given was bare minimum and was also made to feel like a burden. But once you get the hang of it, everyday is a breeze. Upper management will only come in during one of those health checks where they'll just spend more time yelling at you and making your job harder than helping out. Lower management really tries their best and are usually chill as long as you do a good job. The thing that will really make or break your experience is whether your co-workers are good or not.

It was a really toxic environment to work in

Not a place I would ever work again, it’s super toxic as managers there are so double faced. They treat everyone differently and super unprofessional.

A good start but shouldn’t be permanent

I’ve been here for almost 2 years. It’s a good first job but you gotta be able to handle stress. I’m a CT/Barista & you will have to work with and serve the worst people in the entire planet. Sometimes it’s a good shift but do not stay here for the long run. Hustle & leave once you’re financially stable. BUT rostering is good. Flexible for teenagers.

Fast Paced

Working here was fun and easy if you had good work mates. The job itself can be pretty overwhelming at first but if trained properly was easy enough. You got the hang of it the more shifts you worked and being able to communicate makes the work load flow much easier.

Pros

People

Cons

Can be stressful/overwhelming at times

Busy all the time

I feel like working at McDonald's give u chance to understand new zealand culture abs peolke l. Being a migrant u can easily get chanbe to know people around you and especially language

Not a nice place to work

Managers are not nice. Lots of bitchyness and cattiness. Clicks form and you get bullied. Managers and higher ups don't listen to you when you have genuine concerns.

safe and fun work place

i enjoyed work with McDonald and would like to join again if i got chance . work place was safe for staff workers and customers as well. i would suggest friends to join and enjoy the meccas cultures.

Draining

As someone who held everyone to the standards that i was given, i felt no job satisfaction. Nothing was ever really organised and the road to management had nothing to do with skill, just who liked who better.

Pros

No previous skill required

Cons

Roster was never consistent nor available on time

Can be a Fun Environment

Found this Maccas is very demanding. I am constantly in OT so i tend to miss how busy it gets. This store has really good managers that care about their staff. We have mixed culture and no discrimination of others, everyone is equal. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with the busy times and rush hours or short on staff, it all works out in the end. Holidays and weekends are the most busy, very full on.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at McDonald's?

Best job I have ever had

I worked for a branch in New Zealand and I absolutely loved it. It challenged me in a way I've never been challenged before. The work was fast paced and strenuous at times, but the team and management there were amazing. It was definitely a McDonald's family. We all supported one another. I also progressed from crew member to crew trainer with support from my colleagues and management. I was also, before i had to come back to the UK offered management training. I think the hardest part of the job is being on drive thru in a rush. The pressure is unbelievable, especially as the league table is very competitive as all stores want to make it to number 1 drive thru time. My most enjoyable part of the job was when we had a rush in the cafe. I absolutely loved it! In New Zealand they had a proper cafe instead of just a coffee machine. I gained my barista certificates there as well.

Good for students rubbish for anyone else

Summary sums it up pretty well but general your franchisee has no idea what goes on in the business and doesn’t care about the problems in it, then if you complain or bring it up they try to find a way to get you fired

Continuous Learning

On-going learning throughout the whole restaurant allowed me to learn and grow so many techniques and skills for daily life. The hardest part is busy times the whole team and yourself have to put in the same effort to serve excellent food and customer service. The most enjoyable part is seeing regular customers on a daily or weekly basis which allows another level of interaction with the customer which makes me and the customer happy.

Fairly good

It was not all bad experience. Learned a-lot made friends but some managers are so harsh that it makes you question the credibility of the place and favouritism is always a priority over skill.

Mmm

Working here wasn't my intention to stay long but the people I worked it made it fun and I enjoyed it. the managers were helpful and understanding at any point.

Good

Good part time job during high school and good so that I could travel. I got along with my managment. It was close to my home. I got to pick my own hours

Mehh

Basically bad managements A billionaire business but always lacking staffs Always make you stay back Blame employee and humiliate us in-front of the customers even tho they’re wrong . Unfair to staffs that’s working hard

Fun work place but management wasn't the best

Working at mcdonalds gave me an opportunity to work in a fast paced and stressful environment. One of the only downsides to working at mcdonalds was some of the management team. When the place got busy a lot of the time we were understaffed which caused a lot of tension between members of the crew.

Pros

Free lunches when in green

Cons

long hours, short staffed, rude customers

Good first job , or job until you find a new one but dont stay at it forever.

Was good when I first started but then store went downhill , ended up being unappreciated and over worked , loved the co workers and dont get me wrong it was good at McDonalds I just personally had a really bad experience I would recommend going for a job at Mcdonalds

Pros

Co-workers, half priced meals, learning core job skills

Cons

long hours, management, rosters which meant not much time to yourself, finish late night with early morning start and they dont care. They over work you for your pay

good first job

Good first job ,fun work place ,good experiance. Good hours and benifits.A job with good ways to move up the ladder. Thought me alot and made me a more confident person.

Positive work environment

Teaches you important skills such as multi tasking and time management. Professional environment that is fast paced and always keeps you on your feet.

• McDonald's