McDonald's

New Zealand828 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 828 reviews matching the searchSee all 217,428 reviews

Understaffed

Bad management always understaffed and the managers always felt lazy and passed on work to anyone even if they're busy. It takes more than 2.5 hours to get a single break

Pros

Discount on food

Cons

Very busy

Great advancement and on the job training.

If you put in the effort and want to achieve those goals maccas has some of the best training available. You can choose your agreed minimum hours you work a week so you have that job/income security. They're also flexible around study and other commitments.

Fast paced but lots of opportunities to learn

Great place to start your career as they have their own courses which you can do. Good career development and self development opportunities. Collaborative coworkers and amazing benefits by company.

Pros

Manageable hours and discounts.

Cons

Short staffed sometimes

Rush hour can get hectic.

Good place to work in. Management for the most part was good, nice atmosphere. However it got extremely busy & hectic during rush hours. Pay was great considering I was under 16.

horrible

customers are always complaining about their food and yelling and being rude for no reason, managers yell at you for no reason and when you dont know how to do something or do it wrong they get mad at you, but i will say that some of the managers are lovely to work with and actually teach you things and listen to you. some of the co-workers are very bossy when they dont need to be but for the most part they are so nice and i have made some wonderful friends while working here. sometimes they just assume you'll work later and they always call you into work on your days off and always ask you to work later even after you've said no.

Boring, stressful and underpaid work

Work is pretty much what youd expect for a fast food store except at mcdonalds the managers seem to be a lot more demanding and a lot less patient. 0 Incentive to work longer hours and started to wear on my health.

Pros

Half price meal although should have been free

Cons

Breaks often feel too sparse, harmful environment if working in small area

Fun for a high school job

Nice people, easy work for the most part.Great training! They trained me a lot which I found super helpful and made me more confident in the work I did

Pros

Free lunches sometimes Great workmates

Cons

Busy nights understaffed

just dont

just dont work here tbh. u meet so many amazing people but gosh does it ruin your mental health. i started working at maccas the day i turned 16 (and i turn 17 this year) and ngl ive learnt a lot but i would never recommend this job to anyone because i honestly dont think there has been a week where i havent cried over rude customers.

Pros

discounted food

Cons

long hours, underpaid, stressful, rude customers

McDonalds :/

Working at McDonald's for about 3 years now. Not every store is the same. Depends on the people which leads to toxic vibes. Hardest part was defiantly the customers and young kids working there. The young teens don't take the job serious and the customers can be very brutal. I did however learn quite a lot that will help me get into other jobs. As I went up to management quite fast.

Pros

Managers get free food, Crew get half price

Cons

no routine, 9-10 hour gaps in between shifts.

Busy

Teaches you how to adapt in a fast-paced working environment and they teach you how to operate/do a lot of the things there. Management was okay, they would try to solve a problem immediately when given.

Pros

discounted food

Cons

feel under appreciated

Pretty productive and fun workplace, fast paced and great work culture.

This place is great to work at, fun and kind people, managers are pretty good but majority of the managers only care about drive thru time and not the mentality of its workers effected. The kitchen people rely heavily on timed products and communication but higher up managers also care about appropriate procedure which is almost impossible to accomplish when it comes to a rush of customers and the store being understaffed. I on the other hand feel heavily underpaid and over worked, i basically carry the store through out an entire shift, flexing between different stations and still managing to hold my area (kitchen) on my own. People with higher experience deserve to get paid more here due to the fact that some of the workers don’t/can’t hold their own during busy hours.

Pros

Half price foods/free food for graveyard workers

Cons

Underpaid and under appreciated work

Busy workplace

My job position was crew member, always busy in the back cooking and preparing menu items. Working in the back was challenging for me always had to make sure there orders were right and they were out on time.I've learned to really respect and appreciate the hard work and sweat that it takes to perform those jobs, especially when you need to do it while having a bad day. What I loved about the job is getting to know others and working as a team and also helping one another out if we were stuck with anything if there were to many orders coming through. The management was good if anyone made complaint about there orders she would solve the situation straight away.

Pros

free lunches and drinks

Cons

8hours shift

Worst job ever

Toxic workplace, terrible managers, awful hours. Remember “you are replaceable” therefore don’t expect any respect from them. If you raise concerns it’ll go over their heads. Your safety is far from a priority. Managers there have a very “I’m better than all of you” attitude towards crew members. Seems most managers don’t know how to manage anything and create a stressful environment for nothing. No stability in your position you will be moved around constantly for absolutely no reason. Have posters promoting that they care for their staffs mental health yet when you express your struggles and needing to cut hours down to contracted hours their response is “you were not hired for these hours.” False threats thrown at you such as getting a “written warning” for calling in sick. I wouldn’t waste your time getting yourself into a job that is as draining as this.

Pros

Made a friend

Cons

Disgusting workplace

The job isn’t too bad, the corruption is

Did a 18 hour shift once and was expected to come back the next day, Ran an overnight shift in a new store with no training then they complained when the system shut down wasn’t done correctly. So many stories of how bad it is at any maccas store in the hutt valley

Busy all the time

I feel like working at McDonald's give u chance to understand new zealand culture abs peolke l. Being a migrant u can easily get chanbe to know people around you and especially language

Challenging

Worked part time. They are willing to work around your schedule. Managers are generally approachable. They are willing to help you learn. They recognize and appreciative of extra effort by the employee.

Pros

Food discount. Free uniform

Fast Paced Work environment

This job is fast paced especially within peak times. Fun work environment. There’s room for growth here. They encourage development and train staff accordingly.

Pros

Discounted Meals

Fun workplace

At McDonalds a typical day would be busy, they’re would be so many orders coming in but working on busy days it has helped me to become faster and faster to serve customers. Management was great and the workplace culture was good there were a mixture of all race that got along really well and was able to work together. I would say the hardest thing about working there was nothing and the easiest thing about working at mcdonalds was being able to go at a fast pace.

Pros

Discounts on your food

Cons

Working till late

There's friendly culture environment.

At my work place, I really enjoy working with Maccdonal family means my mamagers , team members all staff Working with teamwork. Cultural safe, always maintain health and safety environment.

Pros

Small soft drinks

Cons

Not more than 2:30 hours

Not a nice place to work

Managers are not nice. Lots of bitchyness and cattiness. Clicks form and you get bullied. Managers and higher ups don't listen to you when you have genuine concerns.

Team building workplace

You are part of a team because as a team, everything runs smoothly.There are always hours you can pick up and they are willing to train you to work in all areas of the company.

• McDonald's