McDonald's

New Zealand828 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 828 reviews matching the searchSee all 217,428 reviews

Understaffed

Bad management always understaffed and the managers always felt lazy and passed on work to anyone even if they're busy. It takes more than 2.5 hours to get a single break

Pros

Discount on food

Cons

Very busy

Great Place o work

A typical day at McDonalds involves making burgers, taking order, serving customers, bagging food, stocking up products when they run low. I learnt that the customer is always right but in regards to what the procedures and policies and rules are.Management can be challenging but most are understanding.The workplace culture is mostly work orientated but then when its quiet we talk about our own lives and are friendly with each other. The hardest part of the job is taking abuse from customers who think they are entitled to things but the most enjoyable part is making those other customers day by giving them great service.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Some Abusive customers

fun kicked back workplace

my time at McDonalds was great i spent alot of time getting to know everyone and learn new stuff about the business. everyone was always in a good mood when working

Pros

fun people to work with

Cons

slippery floors

Toxic and cliquey work environment

Linwood mcdonald's was toxic to work at. I had no other problems with mcdonald's except they pay close to minimum wage and hours offered are minimal. Half the staff would ignore me if I said hi, I got bossed around by one girl who wasn't a manager and had a crew trainer who never trained anyone but just barked orders at me and couldn't process that there's only so much one person can do at a time

Pros

Some good overtime at times

Cons

Terrible shift managers

Only work here if its your last resort

I would not recommend McDonald's as a place to work for any individual. The job itself is very fast-paced (that's the best part about it) but if you are running the line for your whole shift it can get very boring. The management at my store is very poor (I have no problem with my franchisee though, but I have only spoken to her a couple of times) and they have a complete lack of respect for the workers and totally do not understand the troubles we have/ show any empathy at all. The workplace culture is fine, however, I have no problem with the people I have worked with, bar 1 or 2 people. I also got quite annoyed at other workers and managers talking about other workers behind their backs. I even heard other workers and managers talking about myself behind my back, and from reading other reviews, it sounds like I am not the only person to have this problem. I feel like some of the shift managers favourites specific employees too, as I have had huge trouble with trying to increase my hours, even if I do what my shift manager tells me what to do to increase my hours he never increases them, which has got on my nerves so much I am going to resign and go to a place that treats their employees with respect and compassion.

Pros

good wage

Cons

poor management, poor work/life balance

Fun and fast pace.

Great team, fun to work at and an overall good working environment. The kitchen manager was really nice and he is a very good teacher. It was a shame how my employment with McDonald's ended but it was not their fault.

Pros

Free meal on graves and friendly. You can get more work through their Facebook group.

Cons

Their calling in sick system is bad and it's unclear on your roster which site you are working at.

Management are bullies

I was a high school student when I worked here. Management were middle-aged bullies that take advantage of hs kids not knowing their employment rights/being generally naive.

fun place to work, good team members

Good place to work short term, supportive team, learn heaps of skills for fastfood service. Suffered burnout afew times when staff never showed for their shifts so I would cover often

Pros

Good hours

Cons

unorganised work duties given by team leaders

Fun workplace

A typical day at maccas pretty much is a stressful one. I've learnt to take one step at a time and not rush things. Management was a bit blah but all in all i understand the pressure they were under as well. The hardest part about the job was that no one wanted to do their tasks for eg cleaning. So they would throw the newbie under the bus to do it for them. I was thrown to stand at the drive-thru and had a panic attack because I worked 8 straight hours without a break and wasn't able to leave my work-area because it was hecka busy at the time.

Cons

very much like long hours

Stressful and demanding

Work for McDonald's if you want to work for a place that just takes takes takes until their employees are completely empty. They have strict expectations which are almost impossible to meet.

Pros

Fun crew

Cons

Higher management, no recognition

Productive and fast paced most of the day

my opinion on the work experience at McDonalds is not all that great, there were good days and bad days. An average day never really came while i was working due to being hired around the busy holidays and well the store was really busy almost everyday. The people are good as far as i know. Id say the hardest part of the job would've been having to rush the orders when the store got busy or when something ran out and having to run to the back and grab more of whatever was needed. Its the worse thing to have to do during a rush. Lastly the most enjoyable part for me was either break or home time just to be honest it was always so busy.

Experience

Fast paced. Helps with multitasking. Work is sometimes filled with drama between crew and can become ridiculous. Easy part? Learning all the stations. Hardest part? Horrible customers. Most enjoyable? Making good friends with some crew and discounted food. Some shifts go fast and others feel slow, but is very good to learn how to deal with some horrible people

Fast-paced and fun environment

Really easy to pick up on what to do around you or your allocated position, Fun environment, engaging with the customers and workers, sometimes stressful but otherwise, overall its a really good place to work especially if you have a passion for preparing and organizing hot fresh food.

The w

It’s very hard to balance life and work when working at Mc Donald’s, especially if you’re an individual that gives their all to their work. The management where I worked was pretty solid but of course there’s room for improvement.

Self centred owners

Self centred owners and head office, unwilling to bend to any ideas even when show to improve thier company. Promise to advance you then leave you to strgglue

Productive and Fun Place to Work

McDonald's is an amazing place to work! It provides flexibility whether you are a student, a mum, or someone who just needs extra cash. Everyone who works there come from different backgrounds and it is a great place to make life-long friends! I loved it here and would recommend it to anyone who needs work.

it's pretty good

I went into the job with a very different expectation than what it turned out to be, the people are all really lovely but I found it very hard to settle in.

Fast Paced and Multitasking.

Fast paced , every day is different I would be attending to different work stations as per the requirements of the day . Friendly and helpful peers

Pros

discounted meals

Cons

Cleaning Toilets

Is good working at mcds

Working at mcds is very challenging. Very good team and management groups. Management is very helpful. Lot of chances to grow while working. Would prefer going back to mcds

would like to be a customer service respect the customers and follow instructions

A very nice Mcdonalds, you know what you are going to get with the food, it may not be great food but it is cheap. It can be noisy and busy at times but if you get in at the right time you will get what you want.

safe and fun work place

i enjoyed work with McDonald and would like to join again if i got chance . work place was safe for staff workers and customers as well. i would suggest friends to join and enjoy the meccas cultures.

• McDonald's