Merlin Entertainments Employee Reviews

Good experience
Theme park host (Former Employee) –  South West London1 September 2019
I enjoyed working at Chessington world of adventures and I learnt several skills that I will need for the future such as, communications skills, handling complaints, handling money and transactions and more. Overall this was a good experience working for Merlin entertainments.
Fun workplace
Thorpe park (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire30 August 2019
When working at Legoland is such a happy exciting place to work seeing all the family little ones having loads of fun on all the rides and everything as a ride operator and it was absolutely amazing
Excellent place to work
Lego Model Builder (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FL28 August 2019
Good company, good benefits, it was a great environment with great people to work with at the time of my employment. Had I not left the immediate area, I would have continued on with the company.
Attendance
Food and beverage (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FL26 August 2019
I would not recommend this job even to my enemy. They have an attendance policy. You can only have 3 points in your first 90 days. I worked in food service where if your sick you shouldn't be at work. It's like either you come to work sick or get so many points and get fired. But yet you do a training class that's tells you not to go in with certain illnesses.
Pros
Some of people are nice and helpful. Free tickets if you make it 6 weeks.
Cons
Not enough trainers or training. You never know what your suppose to do.
Great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NY15 August 2019
Great company however there's really no advancement unless you are willing to relocate. Offer competitive pay and benefits and a good work life balance. Great managers that coach and develop you.
Fun workplace however, not the best place to stay
Retail Host (Current Employee) –  Chertsey, Surrey14 August 2019
Its an amazing place to work, you meet friends for life and gain people skills and confidence that will set you up for life, however there can be some changes with the management. Overall its good for a first time job.
F&B Host (Former Employee) –  Warwick7 August 2019
Have so many great memories of working with Merlin. Everyone is so friendly and happy and it just makes it a pleasure to work there and time flies everyday
At Least I Got A Paid Induction
Seasonal Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire23 July 2019
Extreme loyalty and reverence to the company was enforced. All but explicitly stated that employees are second-class citizens compared to customers. I understand this attitude isn't uncommon, but it doesn't sit right with me. Often worked later than I was legally supposed to at the time. Training was virtually non existent and being completely new I had some mess-ups which could have been wholly avoided with proper training. Breaks were few and far between and you were absolutely expected to stand up at all times. I met some cool people and the managers were nice enough if a little brainwashed. I can't say much for work/life balance or management's organisation (although I was often randomly moved around during the day). The best thing about this job was the money, even temporary staff get a couple of paid induction days. In the couple of weeks I worked there properly I got a decent sum.
Underpaid and overworked.
Entertainer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MO22 July 2019
Do you like angry parents? What about working for peanuts? Do you enjoy unpredictable hours and being scheduled to work on days you asked for off? Do you revel in the general Incompetence of your employers? Then you'll love it here.
Good for a first job
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Thorpe Park16 July 2019
Merlin is a great company for a first job, you gain lots of experience and confidence. It's a fun and unique place to work with great socials and intensives. Unfortunately due to the nature of the company, the majority of staff including supervisors are straight from school - so there is a very toxic and immature working environment with favouritism.
Pros
Socials, Work Experience, Training
Cons
Management, Favouritism, Immature colleagues
A fun environment to work in
Photography and Games Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Alton Towers, Staffordshire12 July 2019
Unfortunately it’s forever making staff at risk of redundancy in ever changing strategic changes of direction & structure. Great place for season staff, avoid if looking for a career, pay is poor by comparison
Pros
Free staff passes for merlin attractions
Cons
No safe career path & poor pay
Ok place to work
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA28 June 2019
Pros: Good local management, work/life balance. Good culture, very diverse.
Cons: Upper management unpredictable, which is dangerous. no job security.
Fun workplace
Entertainments team leader (Current Employee) –  Legoland Windsor, Berkshire26 June 2019
The social side is great.
Management are disappointing (don’t really seem to care)
No work/life balance
Awful hours
Expensive lunch for staff
Disgusting staff canteen
Pros
Social
Cons
Bad management
It was Great then It wasnt
Senior Front Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FL16 June 2019
I loved my job the first 2 years of working here, then new management was brought in that was really close to the Director and it went down hill from there.
Pros
My Teams, The Front Line Employees and Work Atmosphere
Cons
Management, Favoritism and Upper Management Clicks
Very productive place to work with great co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 June 2019
Very productive place to work with great co workers with great management and excellent learning and growing opportunities and also gained very valuable experience along with long lasting relationships
Poor management, too much management, and too little hosts
Host (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MI5 June 2019
We have a Sea Life and Legoland cluster out in Auburn Hills Michigan. First of all, I will start with the positives. My co-workers are a literal dream, and it's super easy to get along with everyone, but our management team is a different story. We have 20+ managers throughout both attractions, and they are little to no help, not to mention extremely rude to host level staff. We are overworked, with very little pay, and some of us, with extreme hours. The work space overall is a little shady.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
poor management
Bad management
Resort Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Malaysia23 May 2019
My particular area of Merlin (Merlin Magic Making) was made up of Cliques, after working 15 years in the Theme park areas i had no problems. MMM section was well behind the times and did not welcome change at all.
I ended up losing my job with a severance package although no real reason was given or a chance to change any problems. Unlike the Wider Merlin.
Fun Place to Work
HEALTH & SAFETY COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FL16 May 2019
The organization itself is based out of the UK and has a different culture than most companies in the US. Fortunately, it does provide generous benefits, including health insurance being paid at a high percentage, and a significant amount of vacation.
Cooperative workplace with enjoyable coworkers
Attractions Staff (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MI14 May 2019
A typical day at work can be seen as either too stressful or too relaxing. On busy days, the site can see more than a thousand of guests. Other, non busy days see half a thousand. The site needs more staff, and I believe the only way to convince more people is an above minimum pay wage because the everything else is gratifying once you get accustomed to the team.
Pros
Excellent coworkers, managers, discounts
Cons
Lack of employees, minimum wage
Front Desk at Legoland
Hotel Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CA29 April 2019
The job of the front desk agent is very important to make the hotel run smoothly. You get trained in multiple areas around the hotel so you get a real understanding of how everything works. The staff and management are super nice. You do have to deal with guests of all kinds but you should already know that going into a position of hospitality. It’s also fun getting to help others and make kids have a great time.
Pros
Cheap lunch, pto, flexible schedule, free legoland pass, limited free passes for friends, commission
Cons
Angry guests, stress, busy for holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merlin Entertainments. Our community is ready to answer.