Michaels

Michaels Employee Reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Showing all 10,024 reviews

Mediocre experience

Understaffed at times, would call for backup and no one would help. Management rarely appreciated the hard work that we put in, but overall not a horrible place to work

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Scheduling

Great people, corporate not so much.

Working for this company has been a great experience. The people I have worked with over the years have been unique and so amazing people. However, the biggest frustration is what comes from corporate. Hours cut to have the bare minimum of staff. Also adding more and more tasks with less people and less hours. All of this is unsafe. I understand saving costs, but at the expense of the safety of your employees, not so much.

amazing place to work

really great place to work, loved my management and coworkers. lots of room for growth at my location, seasonal time is definitely tough but still one of my favorite jobs

Stressful and exhausting

Very difficult to get anything done due to lack of payroll and staff. Workload is very heavy. Too many emails and tasks. You are micromanaged every day.

Fun job but manager is manipulative and snide

Lied to at this store about cashiering part time, I had made it clear I didn't want to cashier. Then yelled at while on register in front of customers. Three phone calls in row while manager stands around chatting. Poor manager communication skills.

Enjoyable workplace, but some things definetly need improved.

I loved working here a majority of the time. The people were a ton of fun. If you like arts and crafts its definitely great. The 30% off discount was also nice. Most of the customers were pretty nice usually. However, there were a lot of things that lead to me ultimately quitting. I had made an agreement on hours and days in a row I could work that was not adhered to. I was practically doing the work of a manager but was never acknowledged for it, or paid for it. Some of the management definitely needed a wakeup call. Whole store needs updating and repairs; Towards the end the registers were almost unusable with how buggy and laggy they are. I spent more time troubleshooting everyone's registers than anything. The pay also wasn't great, only 9.50. They also like to throw training new employees onto new employees, I had only been there a few weeks before I was training people. In my opinion for someone young looking for a fun first job, or just something for someone to fill time, it would be fine, but not long term honestly.

Pros

Fun environment, fun people, big discounts

Cons

Buggy equipment, minimal training, low pay

"Do you dream of Michaels when you're not in the store?" Yes. They are called nightmares.

Great place to work if you want to be overworked and underpaid. Hours are virtually nonexistent if it isn't seasonal and you aren't a manager. Expect maybe 4 hours a week between Feb-August and 25-30 during peak. Trucks were horrendously dangerous. Row after row of freight would fall on me and my coworkers. Most times, the time goals for unloading, stocking, and overstocking products were unachievable. All the stores are so understaffed and overwhelmed right now. I loved my managers and coworkers but with everything corporate is trying to push on team members and management I couldn't recommend anyone work here if you value your sanity.

Pros

Employee discount is 30% and stacks on sale items.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, no hours, dangerous work environment

Decent Workplace

It was honestly pretty fun at times. Truck days were usually a pain because not everyone would show up. Management was so bad people would quit every now and then.

Learning experience

Provided good work experience. Technology was a bit behind in times. Working in different departments grew service skills. People were hired more from outside than focusing on opportunity or promoting from within.

Fun people to work with, but low pay

For the most part, I love the people I work with. We are a good team, and my managers are respectful of me. I wish the district managers and people above him would realize how hard everyone works and pay us what we deserve. Whether Michaels succeeds or fails is going to depend on whether they start paying their workers a competitive wage, because most of the good workers end up leaving after a short time when they find jobs that pay them better.

Pros

Great people, good work environment, supportive managers

Cons

No benefits, low hours after the holiday season, low pay

Good part-time job for students

Very good with your availability. If you're deciding if you want to work at Michaels or not at the retail level, it depends a lot on how good the management is at your store. There have been some issues with management at my store, but overall things have been good.

Great company and people

Enjoyed my years working there, just a lack of hours in the non seasonal months. Busy schedule during Christmas, not guaranteed time off during holidays.

Not so Great

The upper level management created a toxic work environment. They wouldn't provide any support or development opportunities. Bonus pay was good, but regular salary was average.

Overworked and Underpaid

The company used to be great to work for a few years ago but things have just gone down hill. Anyone DM and higher are so out of touch with how the stores actually run and expect store managers to work day in and out to get things the hourly managers and team members can't get to because there are no hours and everyone is underpaid.

Best job I ever had

I was very saddened to hear of the closing of my local store, I loved working there, fun and happy environment. I went to work happy and I left happy.

Excellent Work Environment

Lovely coworkers, however sometimes confusing with so many people in management. The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling of success after helping a customer.

Pros

Flexable with hours (mostly)

Cons

short shifts

Great place to start out and get experience

In the beginning I was excited to work at Michaels because I thought it would have been fun. After a couple of months I learned the hard way that it wasn't, retail isn't enjoyable in any company.That being said while working at Michaels it felt like there was a lot of favoritism towards specific coworkers. The management honestly felt very immature and childish at times, as well. They tried to seem professional, but acted like they were family, which in turn created a conflux of trust and mistrust in some coworkers.If you are planning to apply for the framer position at a small or fairly new store expect a lot of work. They don't tell you this, but you don't just work as a framer, you're also expected to be able to shift into a sales associate as well. While having to switch from framer to sales associate didn't bother me, it wasn't what I was expecting. I definitely thought I'd be doing other things outside of framing, but sometimes there will be weeks where I don't enter the frame shop and I am just out on the floor as a sale associate. With that in mind, I would suggest you apply for what you want to do if you plan to be on the floor. If you want to put frames together and dedicate all of your time to that I would consider looking for a different framing position at a different job.Finally, their pay is ok for a starting job. You get a lot of benefits especially if you're going to college as they help cover some of your college fees (after completing 500 hours). That being said if you're a high schooler the only thing you get out of this job is money and experience. -

Has it's ups and downs

I started loving my job but in a few short months the place started showing their true colors, Store manager doesn't know how to train properly, kept swearing at me when I made a mistake. Co worker's who worked together the longest are really rude to the new people, they keep giving you paperwork that they want you to do but won't explain what it is for you to do.

Pros

You get 30% off merchandise

Cons

Rude, Entitled Customer, low pay

Poor treatment

This company treats their employees like servants. If you attempt to help a customer, they call you to do other work. They leave new, underage employees in charge of children's classes with no training or supervision. They will call you in on your days off and retaliate against you if you have already made other plans. Management is too friendly with underage employees, getting upset when they were not friendly back. I was underage at the time that I was working for this company.

Stressful and underpaid

I use to love working gor Michael's before they became super corporate and stopped caring about their employees. this job is extremely soul sucking and belittling. The only perk is working with cool people and there pretty flexible with schedules, accept if you are a manager

Okay por extra cash

It's an okay place to work. Management communication could be highly improved. Favoritism can be very present depending on the manager who is on shift.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Michaels