Michaels
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Michaels Employee Reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Showing all 8,896 reviews

Mediocre experience

Understaffed at times, would call for backup and no one would help. Management rarely appreciated the hard work that we put in, but overall not a horrible place to work

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Scheduling

A joke to work at

If you don't mind other people getting paid off your work ethic while management does nothing, then this place is for you!!! They make you do 30 percent more work for another shift, they have you do other d.c. work and don't compensate you!!!

Pros

Paid time off

Cons

Work for someone else to get that money/ management incompetence!!!

easy job but toxic work environment

this job is easy, but the managers are annoying, they all stay in the office and gossip. Half of the time they just walk around doing nothing and talking to employees while a line forms and then yell at you because the line is long.

Pros

employee discount off on holidays (thanksgiving, christmas)

Cons

don’t accept change for availability quickly or time off

will call you on short notice

management is nice and so are the workers, they are short-staffed and will ask you or text you to see if you are able to come in on days that you are off.

Pros

regular breaks, nice workers, equal hours, 30% off products

Cons

while ask you to come in on short notice

Easy part time job

If you enjoy crafting, you would enjoy working at Michaels. The work environment would depend entirely on the management and type of customers of the area.

Great to earn job experience as a student

It was a fast paced environment with a lot of customers, especially during the holiday seasons. Basic training was given as a cashier but was left to figure out a lot things by yourself.

Pros

Nice manager and team members.

Cons

short break. minimum payment.

Good teamwork

People were great! Loved everything about this job, but the pay and the store manager. The current customers are amazing. I love the creative atmosphere.

Pros

Great work environment when store manager isn’t there. Other managers are fantastic.

Cons

Pay Store manager

I was a sales associate/cashier. It was stressful at times but good overall.

Some days were tough (i.e. closing and there would be customers still in the store that were adamant about buying their things, customers that got mad for no reason). My coworkers were great, as well as managers

Great place to start working retail

I love working at micheals but I cant help feel disappointed with the hours, having 3-4 hours per shifts feels too little to me. Other than the hours, I loved the management and all the coworkers.

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

4 hour shifts

You sign up thinking is nice but you get stuck with so much trouble

They made me clean up sewage and keep the store open with the store smelling of sewage and make you clean things stores often hire other people to do. The mangers don’t communicate and you only get 3 hours a day no matter if you ask for more or not.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Annoying managers Short hours Ok pay for what you do Short staffed

Not a great place to work.

Management gets paid more but seems to do less and care less about their employees. Not enough time is given to complete tasks. They always took hours away from replenishment to give to the daytime associates, when replenishment had the harder jobs to get done. The replenishment team never got recognized for the work that they did. At my store, the store manager would retaliate against associates that somehow made him mad. Complaints from the night crew were never heard because they would only talk to the daytime crew about what was happening in the store. All around a horrible company to work for. They care more about their money and bottom line than they do their associates.

Pros

Employee Discount

Cons

Everything else

It is an ok place to work for a starting job.

I initially really liked the job, but my schedule of working before school became too much. The manager became a pain because he would complain about their not being enough people taking shifts to me when I was the only person taking on additional shifts at the time.

Great part time

If you want a chill place to work at, have no ambition in regards to moving up, pretty much just a job thats great for passing time but not much else.

Redundant job with little advancement and poor management

A boring and redundant job with either minimal duties, or maximum duties. Was often given 4 hour shifts while being told to leave early so they wouldn’t have to give me a break. Teenagers were hired as a managers thus giving way to multiple ego trips and arrogance, though upper management wasn’t nearly as bad. Pretty boring and bland place to work, especially for $10 / hourly.

Pros

Some decent coworkers, inclusive work environment

Cons

Breaks shorted, horrible middle management, stress (for $10 / hourly?), lack of drive, lack of advancement, retail

Great workplace environment

Great workplace environment, friendly co workers and management. The customers are great. If you love crafts this is the place for you. After christmas hours do go down but overall a great place to work.

Pros

Great staff Good pay Friendly Management Great customers

Cons

4 hour shifts

Okay place to work

Not my favorite it was an okay place to work the staff was nice. I was in college when I worked for them so they worked a lot with my college schedule

Retail environment that highly depends on its management- better/more management would have greatly improved the experience

While I worked there, management was terrible. From my start date, I knew everything one manager hated about the other, and I heard and witnessed daily her complaints. They were highly disorganized. Inventories were way off, empty spaces on shelves, things in wrong places, and so on. The store manager was new and already showed a lack of caring or effort to learn his job. It took over a month for me to be able to log into the employee site to be able to do things like correct my availability, so every time a new schedule went up, I had to approach the manager and have it corrected, and was met with a sense of irritation from them as though it was my fault. In the several months that I worked there, I also was never given a locker despite my periodically asking/reminding and being told it would be taken care of "next time." They were almost always understaffed and I'd be asked to stay late and be stuck at a register past the end of my shift frequently because of it. Management rarely did anything about rule breaking or slacking on the job, so coworkers got away will all sorts of stuff. Several months after working there, I learned that management was supposed to do regular/frequent audits of things like register type errors, at which point I learned that for months I'd been making the same error when taking checks because the "cheat sheet" at the register was wrong. Also, the fact that registers only recorded the first person that logged in that day as though they were the soul user was very worrying. You could log in for one transaction at the start of the day, and at -

Pros

employee discounts were ok and sometimes combined with coupons

Cons

poor pay, iffy/bad management, careless coworkers

Good flexible hours and really empathetic management. The fellow employees aren’t as welcoming

Good management, solid staff during the open hours, the early morning crew is a little harder to warm up to but they are hard workers and do what they need to do.

Pros

Good management and flexible hours

Cons

Work life balance

A very fun place

I love working at Michaels, the customers are very fun to talk to and learn about what they are working on. For the most part managers are awesome and do what they can to help you do better.

Pros

Good management, customers are nice, get a break

Cons

Pay can be low, hours can be off and on depending on time of year

Wonderful team but not paid enough for what you do

Honestly it was a huge shock to me when I first joined because everyone was so nice. The management were very supportive, and I can say that it was the best management I've ever had in a job, it's just you are never paid enough for what you do. Instructions are sometimes unclear. I left because I was moving but I wasn't going to stay longer regardless, I didn't get paid enough for the stuff I dealt with. I wasn't the only person that felt underpaid.

Pros

Very friendly team

Cons

Not worth the pay

No training. Too many pretend managers who just wanted to control shop. Micro managment.

Terrible managment, no training. Refusued to accomadate disabilites(that were mentioned prior to hire). Instead of training they just randomly changed info and job role.

Cons

Managment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8