Middlemore Hospital
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Middlemore Hospital Employee Reviews

New Zealand22 reviews
Lots of friendly people always coming through the hospital but there can be some not so nice ones. Just stick your head down and work, dont get caught up with some of the negative people. Always taxis out the front for patients or visitors and lots of parking. It can get quite fustrating when you are taken for granted at work and others dont help and get the job done but there are also some great nurses and doctors always willing to help. Lots of food spots and a great staff cafeteria with great food and drinks, serving breakfast lunch and dinner.
Pros
Staff discount at different places eg gym
Cons
Hard to fall asleep if your on night shift.
Able to learn new things when I did my placement in the middlemore hospital in different areas. Some staff are very helpful and welcoming. As a Healthcare assistant I was able to learn more by being exposed to different wards
not a supportive place to work. worked there over 40 years. never felt like a valued member of staff. not encouraged to increase skills. being a second level nurse has been horrendous. especially when you are sent to a ward to assist staff and people make comments like. " ah! they sent an enrolled nurse! we ordered an r/n.
Work is challenging some days however relax in the other days, no one day is the same
Everyday there is something new to learn from this working environment

management is good

culture sensitive, awareness and safety are staffs first priority with patient and their families

every job is challenging, needs critical thinking to make the job easier

when you struggle with something and ask any staff, they are willing to help you out.
Totally unacceptable environment for transcriptionists both physically and mentally. No rewards for hard work such as get together lunches. Absolutely unapproachable. You can consistently type high levels of output and sit opposite people whose work is substandard and may only be a few letters a day and they are paid the same! Love the clinical staff. Totally unappreciated and thank god for the friendly cleaners.
Pros
Cons
Hard work for nothing
Time management has been the most crucial thing I had struggled with. This was also one of my weakness. However, slowly overtime, I learnt the basics and ropes of how to work in such a complex industry (Middlemore Hospital wards).

There were alot heavy responsibilities. Most of time I had to be thinking on my feet, have a sharp eye and attention to detail around the things I had to do and deliver to patients and other staffs (Health professionals, management team, FSA staffs).
i am very hardworking person and honesty peron, i love to work in a area of team working beacuse, working as a team we will achieve everything, i am very good in computer and the most enjoyable of the job is sharing with someone in there knowledge
Pros
free lunch
I worked in renal ward 1

A typical day include giving medication, oral, IV antibiotics, Ip antibiotics, doing manual dialysisy capd bags in day time, doing apd machine dialysis at night.

preparing patient for our own ward theatre operation, tenkoff insertion/removal, tunnel line insertion/removal.

Preparing patient for other procedures happening in other theaters, biopsy of renal, colonospcopy, uss , xray etc etc.

looking after patient post op.

working with ot, pt, physicians, diabetic team etc towards the patient goal .

Admit and discharge patient using the online apps.
working at middlemore hospital as a kitchen hand has been amazing, from supervisors to co workers and to different types of patients my experience was always something different every day.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Middlemore Hospital?
My co-workers were very supportive in furthering my understanding of the health sector. They continued to provide me with opportunities to explore different aspects of Middlemore processes, and encouraged me to take on new challenges including small projects.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that I learnt the processes quickly and was trusted by my co-workers and manager to work independently and unsupervised for the majority of the time. There was a great balance between team-work and individual work, which suits me as an individual.
Pros
Mutual trust, Supportive co-workers and management
Cons
N/a
I have great customer service skills.Its a great company I could learn new challenges and gain new experience.Every day is very difficult but we know how to manage each and every task in proper manner.Because we got great supervisor they supervise us in very effective manner.I have learned so many new thinks from my manager and supervisor how to interact with the patient and become a problem solving person.Having a great communication skills with the patient and understand the patient in positive manner.I could manage every thing in a great manner. I am working with different kinds of people and they are belonging to different religion .It will improve my intra personal relationship .Tackle with rude and angry patients.Thats obstacle but understanding of someone make us easy.gossip and enjoying parties with friends and colleagues thats make life enjoyable.
Pros
great service
Cons
no negative points
My second job in New Zealand and in the hospital environment. Found it easy to settle in to the work flow and environment. Staffs were helpfull and my manager was verry atttentive.
Pros
gained hospital environment experience
Cons
was employed as a casual employee
I worked at MMH for almost 6 years. I loved this job, the staff and the patients, family and caregivers I was priveleged enough to work with and for.
My 7 on 7 off position of Ward Clerk was very busy but with a good balance of time working and time at home this JOB SHARE position worked extremely well. Better than most.

I enjoyed working alongside caring and professional people from all walks of life and cultures. This is truly an amazing place to work. I expect all hospital boards to be the same.
Pros
Job Share for life balance
Cons
A normal day at middle was usually very busy and kept me active. What i had learned there was how to socialize with other people and being able to help them out. My management was good, always kept us on task. working with others had a very good turn out as i am very co-operative. There were a few situations which required more attention, but with my fast thinking and my ability to makeshift in any situation, whatever the problem was it had a positive outcome. I enjoyed meeting and helping out new people, being able to know they could come to me if they were ever lost or had any problems felt good.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Amazing people - Great team support in the majority of teams I have worked within
Diverse cultural experiences

Great learning opportunities
Having work experience at Middlemore Florist was amazing, over the two weeks being there I've learned so much about flowers and customer service. It was good to see people smiling when helping them find something special or best suited for a special someone or patient. The difficult part when I was working there was the cash register, it was very confusing but as I slowly remembered the processes of it, it was alright in the end. the most enjoyable part about this work experience was that I learned things I didn't know before also building my strength to talk to customers. I loved doing the practical part about this job. (wrapping flowers, doing up some bows, helping out customers, phone orders etc.)
Pros
Good Atmosphere, Positive.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being part of a team that is supportive and encouraging...
Working with Clinical nurses, Drs, Social Workers, Physios - being part of a multidisciplinary team to ensure that patients get quality care during their stay in hospital.
Pros
Great working relationships
Cons
Not enough staff
I am a student nurse so I work under a registered nurse. I was able to learn how to care for patients under the NZ Nursing Organisation Guidlines
Typical day at work is mainly talking with people and making sure they are comfortable. I have learned alot from working at the hospital. I have learned to be open to everyone and I have also learned to help people in need. The hardest part of the job is when I cannot help the person. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping sick people.
Cons
short hours
The most enjoyable part of the work experienced is helping people/ students out with some advise and directory through the campus, and I love asnwering outside calls and tranfer them over to specific person they want to speak to.
And the hardest past is dealing with angry customers and trying to make those who has english as their second language but most of all I enjoy it alot, it a challenge for me, and i love it..
Pros
Free Lunches and Drinks
Cons
Long Hours
I worked here which I enjoyed very much but it was only for a short time frame,
Pros
good pay rate on weekends
Cons
wasnt a perm job