Ministry for Primary Industries
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Ministry for Primary Industries Employee Reviews

New Zealand14 reviews
Great opportunities. Day and night shift. Involved checking stock and ensure OMAR requirements. Main role is verification, writing PBV reports. Great support available.
Some Departments are great with friendly, helpful and supportive staff; however there are also departments where the support you would think you would get from Management is not there. Making life difficult and stressful.
One of the most rewarding and enjoyable jobs I have had. Amazing work structure and the management are understanding and supportive. The work environment is challenging and enjoyable.
Great work/home balance. Results orientated. Macro-management. Technical jobs are interesting, innovative, and plenty of travel is involved. Always have to write a report afterwards of course!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
On call
I enjoyed going to work everyday because I knew that I would be working with people that I got along with. There is always something new to learn and experience.
There is more work to do than time to do it in, but the workload is somewhat up to the individual. Learning how to push back and do less was the hardest part of the job.
The second hardest is normal for the Public Service: the political landscape shifts regularly and quickly under your feet. If you don't like surfing through your project management duties it creates tension.

The people were fantastic.
Fast and accurate data entry. Learned very fast being in the numbers. Very good time management skills, how to work under pressure. Well paid, Employees are taken care of. Actually a very good place to work. Hardest part is accuracy and speed.
Pros
Offer shares
Cons
Shares are offered based on the performance
A lot of hard working, passionate people. Some micro-managing occurs and people not understanding their roles and responsibilities at times. There is a definite "MPI" way which is not standard across government or businesses.
Pros
Very nice people
Cons
The "MPI" way of working can be tedious and difficult
Awesome diversity place to work in. staff got along very well. it was fun meeting new people everyday and dealing with different situations everyday.
management was productive
Pros
four days off
Cons
start times
Subcontracted to MPI laying ant traps around Wellington's local ports and entry points where ants could enter the country. Was fun work during summer and pretty easy.
I thoroughly enjoyed this job was very different as It was something that I wouldn't see myself doing but I gave it a shot anyway considering that it was only temp work I had loads of fun doing it, met some awesome people from all walks of life (Arrivals Department at the Auckland International Airport) and learnt some more interesting things about myself was always the Happy very chatty person so at all times was making all in flight customers feel comfortable during their baggage searches, you will be surprised who you meet and greet and the storys that you hear hence why I say every day was different and unique and that it was!
Pros
Meeting people from Overseas and from different cultures
Cons
Shift Work - Uncertain of what hours will be allocated until a day or two prior to starting
MPI, is a large org that has amalgamated with 2 other ministrys/govt departments

Fisheries

Food

The total org is made of up

MAF Bio

Animal Welfare

Food

Fish

Forestry

This makes for a ministry that was forced to eat everything up to consolidate and reduce govt spend on groups such as finance etc - however it also grew a lot more red tape. Now MPI is going on another round of dieting, to hopefully be sustainable.

Why is MPI reactive, because of its responsibility - any issue from capture, harvest - plate has an implication on MPI.

MPI, Is a great place to work - the people make it, some of the smartest people I have ever meet have worked here and still do.

MPI is a driving force or a closed gate for our industries, Milk rains supreme sometimes, Bees the next - it changes with the seasons.

Engagement with its stakeholders is key - relationship building is paramount.

Overall, a hugely enjoyable place to work - plenty of opportunities if you are actively looking and so many industries to help make an impact with.
Pros
People
Cons
Red tape
No such thing as a typical day at work. Work varies from medium to highly intensive in terms of time and deadline management. Regionally based with management based in Head office in Wellington. Most enjoyable aspect is the relationship management and implementing strategies that create mutual benefit for both the organisation and the parties concerned. Hardest part of the job is the out of town travel and isolation being regionally based which at times could be a risk to not only yourself, your team and the organisation. High level of self determination in terms of decision making. Need to be emotionally intelligent, hold exceptional relationship management skills, people reading and be able to prioritise. Most enjoyable part of the job - learning aspect as not confined like others to one business unit within the organisation so interactions with all primary sectors.
Pros
Greast team, great learning and development opportunities
Cons
long intensive hours depending on priorities. Not always good work life balance
The only reason I left the Ministry of Primary Industries was to return to the UK, otherwise I would have stayed and developed my skills further within the Ministry
Pros
flexibility of working
Cons
hostile work environment on the foreign vessels