Ministry of Education Employee Reviews

Educational
Business Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, Northland18 June 2019
There was great management and support. Working with Psychologists, social workers helping children and whanau with education. Very culturally aware and always will to participate
Very demanding
Receptionist/Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Auckland27 April 2019
It was a frontline demanding job, I have learnt to be patient with the service I provide. The staff and management were good. The workplace was very large and was a mixture of staff working for Special needs education and Ministry of Education staff.

It was a very pressurizing job at the frontline but I really enjoyed meeting new people and helping them.
Pros
Learnt a lot about the education system
Cons
Very pressurizing
Fun workplace working with children and teacher aids
After School Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland15 December 2018
Awesome fun place to work and gain experience in. Only a casual job so it is a good job to have whilst studying or working at another job. Working with young children from the age of 5 can be very uplifting and rewarding if you have a passion for teaching young kids and helping with their learning abilities.
Pros
Helping children learn
Cons
Not enough hours to earn a sustainable living.
I love teaching what I enjoy doing playing the drums
TEACHER DRUM SET (Former Employee) –  Hawkes bay New Zealand1 June 2018
I have group class's and individual class's some students are there for fun and some for grading and help in jazz band or orchestra. I learn a lot from my students, they teach me how to be better by teaching me different ways of teaching so I can help them understand. The work place is great and so is management.
I love what I do and to teach what I enjoy doing there is nothing
better then that.
Moe
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington23 April 2018
The job was fine, although during school breaks the work dipped and you were often given dull and tedious tasks to fill the time or asked to take leave.
Pros
Friendly office
Cons
Temps treated like temps
Flawed management
Property Advisor (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury21 March 2018
Great role that serves the community but management leaves a lot to be desired.
Shifted to hot desking which was a disaster. Management never follow through with recommendations for improvements,
Pros
Postive work
There is more to it then Joe Public may think
Senior Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty29 January 2018
A great place to work. Immersed in the 'behind the scenes' of education the staff work tirelessly to ensure that best practice, guidelines and the interests of the children in education are at the forefront of their agendas.
Pros
Seeing education from a whole other level
Cons
The loss of great staff due to contracting and lack of money to continue to pay to keep good, hardworking and dedicated staff on
Amazing workplace
Legal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mount Eden, Auckland23 January 2018
Not a bad thing to say here! Everything from working, to the people who were there, not a problem nor an issue arose! Was fun, enjoyable and independant.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Traffic in the morning!
Nice enviroment
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland18 January 2018
Good place to work, nice environment, management Good, fun people, easy to get information when needed, secure safe environment good fun people .......
Great School good place to work.
ESOL Educator (Former Employee) –  Rotorua District, Bay of Plenty12 September 2017
Loved this job as it was one of my first NZ jobs.
The school, staff and management teams were friendly and professional.

The children were fantastic friendly and were keen to learn.

The ESOL lessons were fun and levels grew quickly and time went to quickly too.

This is a fantastic school to send your children too.

Everyone was included and the end of year Barbeque the Best.

Catholic Ethos kind and friendly great place to learn welcoming to all.
My first experience at working with an intermediate school a real NZ experience
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty12 September 2017
This was my first experience in with working with older children, previously worked with early years and
primary.

This was also my first experience of Academy School the children got to pick areas which they had strengths and interest. Made good learning choices.

On going professional development. Ever evolving to meet the needs of staff and pupils within the school. Great support from colleagues and senior management alike.
I loved being part of that organisation
National Trainer (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington22 August 2017
I was a contractor training Universaties and Polytechs on managing the student loans and allowances. I travelled from Invercargill to Whangarei. I learned that some people were hard to train, so I developed other learning styles. I do not want to mention the two Universities that were difficult to deal with. Sometimes it was hard out in the field
The people at the Ministry were fabulous and supportive. I loved what I was doing amnd knew I could make a difference
Pros
Good suport
Productive learning environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland22 May 2017
i thoroughly enjoyed this workplace because I got to work with year 4-6's during my two and a half years of teaching there. It was a fantastic experience that I will treasure
Pros
Children's progression
Cons
Great to work with teachers and children
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland13 April 2017
A library is a great place to work. You have the repetitive jobs to do as well as adding a bit of your own personality. Because this job is basically a government department you usually get pay increases yearly.
Scale A Teacher (Former Employee) –  Morrinsville, Waikato15 February 2017
A typical day at work in the classroom would usually start by welcoming the students and following the daily programme of Literacy and Mathematics in the morning followed by Inquiry/Topic Studies/Art or P.E. in the afternoon. I have learned to be organized with planning and to record daily reflections. I have also learned to try a variety of resources to engage the students was ongoing. The management of students was a learning curve. The intermediate age group can be interesting and challenging. Understanding the developing adolescent and their family background was most helpful for class management and addressing the dynamics of the students in classroom. The senior management and principal were helpful and supportive when needed for any concerns with students and parents. The hardest part of the job was sometimes dealing with the large class sizes, the wide range of abilities of the students and limited resources or teacher aide assistants. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing fun moments wiith my students and celebrating their learning successes and achievements.
Pros
lots of school events throughout the year
Cons
lots of meetings
Teaching brings daily changes and challenges.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty15 November 2016
I have found building relationships the greatest reward in teaching. I enjoy working with colleagues and students. Each day brings at least one new challenge which keeps you alert.
Pros
Building relationships
Cons
Negative relationships
The Local People were Great...
School Janitor (Former Employee) –  Waitoa, Waikato10 August 2016
I enjoyed working at Waitoa School. It was in my local Community and I felt grateful to have been a part of the history of it while it was still Open. The Pay was good and the most enjoyable part of my day was seeing everything completed at the end of the clean. It makes it all worth the while knowing the kids will get a lot of enjoyment in a clean school.
Pros
Great Pay and Great People
Cons
Late Hours
Workable
Recruitment as a Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington15 July 2016
I worked in IRD Wellington Upper Hutt branch as a Data Entry Operator for 2 years. I enjoyed my work there.That was my first job. I made good friends whom I still keep in touch. The working environment was alright. I was only a temp at that time so we didnt have the benefits as a full-time worker.
great place to work
Education Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Napier, N18 November 2015
working with many different children with dual diagnosis planning reviewing implementing programmes contributing towards IEP. lots of ongoing professional development
A government agency with some passionate educators who are willing to serve.
Senior Adviser (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, N21 June 2015
The Ministry is undertaking ongoing change but for the time I was in the local team I found colleagues to be hard working, dedicated educators who want to make a difference. Policy adherence is paramount.
Pros
Great office environment, awesome team leader
Cons
More Māori required