Ministry of Education
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Ministry of Education Employee Reviews

New Zealand39 reviews
flexable hours, support of teachers and they will always make you feel comfortable. The children that I worked with were very respectful as I was a ble to relate in a way.
Pros
shared lunches work close with other teachers
Cons
less hours
A typical day at work in the classroom would usually start by welcoming the students and following the daily programme of Literacy and Mathematics in the morning followed by Inquiry/Topic Studies/Art or P.E. in the afternoon. I have learned to be organized with planning and to record daily reflections. I have also learned to try a variety of resources to engage the students was ongoing. The management of students was a learning curve. The intermediate age group can be interesting and challenging. Understanding the developing adolescent and their family background was most helpful for class management and addressing the dynamics of the students in classroom. The senior management and principal were helpful and supportive when needed for any concerns with students and parents. The hardest part of the job was sometimes dealing with the large class sizes, the wide range of abilities of the students and limited resources or teacher aide assistants. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing fun moments wiith my students and celebrating their learning successes and achievements.
Pros
lots of school events throughout the year
Cons
lots of meetings
I have found building relationships the greatest reward in teaching. I enjoy working with colleagues and students. Each day brings at least one new challenge which keeps you alert.
Pros
Building relationships
Cons
Negative relationships
I enjoyed working at Waitoa School. It was in my local Community and I felt grateful to have been a part of the history of it while it was still Open. The Pay was good and the most enjoyable part of my day was seeing everything completed at the end of the clean. It makes it all worth the while knowing the kids will get a lot of enjoyment in a clean school.
Pros
Great Pay and Great People
Cons
Late Hours
I worked in IRD Wellington Upper Hutt branch as a Data Entry Operator for 2 years. I enjoyed my work there.That was my first job. I made good friends whom I still keep in touch. The working environment was alright. I was only a temp at that time so we didnt have the benefits as a full-time worker.
working with many different children with dual diagnosis planning reviewing implementing programmes contributing towards IEP. lots of ongoing professional development
The Ministry is undertaking ongoing change but for the time I was in the local team I found colleagues to be hard working, dedicated educators who want to make a difference. Policy adherence is paramount.
Pros
Great office environment, awesome team leader
Cons
More Māori required
Enjoyed my time working here, got on well with both management and colleagues. Variety of work was a plus, and learning all about Property Management which was a new area for me. The hardest part of the job was leaving when my contract ended and the most enjoyable part of the job was making a life time friend.
Pros
meeting new people, treated well on special occasions
Cons
N/a
As a reliever I enjoyed a lot working with the kids. When the management and the co workers are co-operating that day is very enjoyable. As I am working with different schools in Auckland region different experience with the teachers and the kids that I am working. It is a great experience.
as above, and

Rewarding field work with Parents and families and children, students, schools-teachers, TA's and Principals, Pre-schools and ESW's and staff.

Great collegial support and time to discuss cases with colleagues and managers

Very good admin support- car use for field work, printing, computers and own work space-some support with typing and making resources, but not enough. Safe workplace.

Poor use of updated technology for in-field work. need to return to office to do 'paperwork' when it would be more economical to do this on a laptop 'on the road'.

Medium success by managers who have to manage many different fields of work for which they are untrained. Applying same tenants to all field staff

Poorly organised electronic recording of work system

It is time - consuming and prevents more field work.
Every morning I wake up and is always happy to be going to work because I know I will enjoy it. Some days were great and other days can be real tough. During my time working as an ESW, I learned so much about different children and their disabilities. Each child learns different and so I had to learn how to communicate with them in order for me to understand what they are in need of. Getting tpo work was a bit of a struggle as everyone needs to go to work but we did manage to sort out rides afterwards. The hardest part of the job was trying to understand the little educator when he was upset as they couldn't really speak properly. The most enjoyable part of the job was just having fun with the child and helping them join in with his/her class activities. I really enjoyed working eith kids and helping them become familiar with their environment.
Pros
Playing along side the children, enjoying myself
Cons
Far away from where I stay.
Teaching Technology since 1987 both in RSA and NZ was really satisfying. It is always developing and challenging as new designs, material equipment etc. comes around.
I have set up and started Automotive Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Building and Construction at three High Schools in my career. To see that fully operational was really satisfying.

I am currently qualifying as an ordained minister through Trinity College and are considering a transition from the practical to the pastoral.
Pros
Professional development
Cons
Teaching in workshops for 28 years became physical demanding.
Challenging and dynamic work environment

Fast paced atmosphere

Constantly changing errands and check list

Multi tasking
Many great ideas in theory, but many schools lacking the support or tools to be able to implement these ideas. Often imposed very unrealistic expectations for teachers with very little support.
I learned a lot from working there, i learned childcare skills, communication skills, i got to meet new people. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the young kids happy and having fun. I don't believe there was anything hard with this job. My co-workers were amazing to work with, always supportive and knew how to have a good laugh.
Pros
Great co-workers, good work environment, overall a fun job
i enjoy the day to day challenge of working with different children & assessing their needs & tailoring a program specifically designed with the individual child in mind
Pros
self satisfaction
Cons
A typical day was busy but enjoyable.
I learned filing and organization skills, time management and people skills.

Management was approachable and hardworking.

My co-workers were friendly with a good work ethic.

The hardest part of the job was carrying the boxes full of files.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a friendly environment and the satisfaction of completing the job.
last 3 months got mucked around with pay via novopay,moe did nothing to help.
Moving one one childcare facility to another. Interesting to work within different environments on a day to day basis.