Ministry of Education Employee Reviews

A government agency with some passionate educators who are willing to serve.
Senior Adviser (Former Employee) –  Whangarei, N21 June 2015
The Ministry is undertaking ongoing change but for the time I was in the local team I found colleagues to be hard working, dedicated educators who want to make a difference. Policy adherence is paramount.
Pros
Great office environment, awesome team leader
Cons
More Māori required
Property Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Wellington2 March 2015
Enjoyed my time working here, got on well with both management and colleagues. Variety of work was a plus, and learning all about Property Management which was a new area for me. The hardest part of the job was leaving when my contract ended and the most enjoyable part of the job was making a life time friend.
Pros
meeting new people, treated well on special occasions
Cons
N/a
very interactive and funny working with the kids
Relief School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Auckland region9 December 2014
As a reliever I enjoyed a lot working with the kids. When the management and the co workers are co-operating that day is very enjoyable. As I am working with different schools in Auckland region different experience with the teachers and the kids that I am working. It is a great experience.
Rewarding field work, very good collegial support, good PD.
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Auckland, NW District29 September 2014
as above, and

Rewarding field work with Parents and families and children, students, schools-teachers, TA's and Principals, Pre-schools and ESW's and staff.

Great collegial support and time to discuss cases with colleagues and managers

Very good admin support- car use for field work, printing, computers and own work space-some support with typing and making resources, but not enough. Safe workplace.

Poor use of updated technology for in-field work. need to return to office to do 'paperwork' when it would be more economical to do this on a laptop 'on the road'.

Medium success by managers who have to manage many different fields of work for which they are untrained. Applying same tenants to all field staff

Poorly organised electronic recording of work system
It is time - consuming and prevents more field work.
Productive and fun working place
Education Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, N23 September 2014
Every morning I wake up and is always happy to be going to work because I know I will enjoy it. Some days were great and other days can be real tough. During my time working as an ESW, I learned so much about different children and their disabilities. Each child learns different and so I had to learn how to communicate with them in order for me to understand what they are in need of. Getting tpo work was a bit of a struggle as everyone needs to go to work but we did manage to sort out rides afterwards. The hardest part of the job was trying to understand the little educator when he was upset as they couldn't really speak properly. The most enjoyable part of the job was just having fun with the child and helping them join in with his/her class activities. I really enjoyed working eith kids and helping them become familiar with their environment.
Pros
Playing along side the children, enjoying myself
Cons
Far away from where I stay.
Excellent work environment, opportunities to advance in career.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Te Kauwhata College16 February 2014
Teaching Technology since 1987 both in RSA and NZ was really satisfying. It is always developing and challenging as new designs, material equipment etc. comes around.
I have set up and started Automotive Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Building and Construction at three High Schools in my career. To see that fully operational was really satisfying.

I am currently qualifying as an ordained minister through Trinity College and are considering a transition from the practical to the pastoral.
Pros
Professional development
Cons
Teaching in workshops for 28 years became physical demanding.
Administration and Personal Assistant
PA to Principal Catherine Rivers (Former Employee) –  Pakuranga28 January 2014
Challenging and dynamic work environment

Fast paced atmosphere

Constantly changing errands and check list

Multi tasking
Nz moe
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Auckland and Hamilton New Zealand17 November 2013
Many great ideas in theory, but many schools lacking the support or tools to be able to implement these ideas. Often imposed very unrealistic expectations for teachers with very little support.
Fun work place
After School Care (Current Employee) –  Te Kuiti, N24 October 2013
I learned a lot from working there, i learned childcare skills, communication skills, i got to meet new people. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the young kids happy and having fun. I don't believe there was anything hard with this job. My co-workers were amazing to work with, always supportive and knew how to have a good laugh.
Pros
Great co-workers, good work environment, overall a fun job
productive working environment
Support Staff/Learning Support (Former Employee) –  hamilton new zealand8 October 2013
i enjoy the day to day challenge of working with different children & assessing their needs & tailoring a program specifically designed with the individual child in mind
Pros
self satisfaction
Friendly and productive
Temporary Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellington3 August 2013
A typical day was busy but enjoyable.
I learned filing and organization skills, time management and people skills.
Management was approachable and hardworking.
My co-workers were friendly with a good work ethic.
The hardest part of the job was carrying the boxes full of files.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a friendly environment and the satisfaction of completing the job.
depressing
senior grounds and property maintenance (Former Employee) –  southern cross campus,mangere AUCKLAND20 January 2013
last 3 months got mucked around with pay via novopay,moe did nothing to help.
Excellent workplace
ESW (Current Employee) –  Whangarei5 January 2013
Moving one one childcare facility to another. Interesting to work within different environments on a day to day basis.