Ministry of Health Employee Reviews

Great modern, clean building but management problems
Payments Officer (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington8 November 2019
Most staff are very stressed with workload and some team leaders are not very understanding about this although they say they are. Daily targets are sometimes unrealistic and most people are stressed because of the pressure. All this and they are "Min of Health". They should be leading the way in making employees work/life balance more comfortable.

Team leaders/management ask for feedback but staff are too scared to say what they actually think because of fear of being unpopular or sacked, so it continues to stay the same way.

Last year on Xmas Eve, the CEO came around to each area and said thank you to everyone for our hard work throughout the year and said we could all go home for the day. Our Team Leaders/Management made us stay on until we had finished our days work. Once again nobody complains because of fear of being frowned upon. I have seen people very miserable working there and also have seen some people leaving with no notice given and no real proper explanation given to the rest of us as to why. Not a nice atmosphere to work in.

I feel better in myself in my new job since I left Min of Health.
Pros
Comfortable, clean and modern work environment
Cons
Management problems with lack of communication between Team Leaders
second home, improve culture, work life balance
Team Leader - Payments & Purchasing (Former Employee) –  New Zealand2 January 2018
MOH is a great place to work in, flexible hours to suit young families, ongoing building of targets to meet the needs of the public and each DHB region to ensure better quality of life /care is available and/or provided.
staff development needs to be increase each year
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough staff/ lack of staff development each year is available
Large public sector organisation covering complex issues in a busy, professional environment
Senior Business Planning Advisor (Current Employee) –  Wellington, New Zealand22 October 2017
A busy environment with a good number of committed staff working to deal with complex public health issues.
Currently working through strategic and business planning issues - appears to be a need for more outcomes based planning
Pros
Experience, public service
Cons
Complex environment
Lovely place to work
Deputy Director General Strategy (Former Employee) –  Wellington Central, Wellington20 June 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the manager there. Easy to talk to and clear guidance was provided to do my work successfully. Lots more use of skills in powerpoint and word was required here. Did a lot more typing for the Ministry as most people wrote on paper and then it was typed by the PA. Managed the diary and also had to pay a lot of attention to details in the reports (kind of proof reading) to make sure the documents was written correctly by the manager or the analysts in his team. Helped out with team administration to the staff as well.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the staff there.
Cons
Can't think of anything.
Funworkplace
Radiographer (Former Employee) –  Rakiraki18 August 2016
Fun place to work in, with good management but less benefits given to the staffs in terms of training and short courses. Management at higher level needs to improve in this area. From my point of view , its the staffs in the rural settings need to be given more opportunities to further their studies or training because of their proximity to the main centers.
Pros
Relaxing place
Cons
Less benefits
Ministry of Health - great learning environment.
Sr Data Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington25 May 2016
During my tenure at Ministry of Health, I have been able to make a difference to the National Collections by focusing on quality improvement through rigorous data quality analysis and relationship management. My main role has always been to create an ideal work environment by devising innovative and more meaningful ways to provide information that is fit for purpose for the sector as well as the external clients including researchers and other Government departments across New Zealand. I have learnt a lot while working at Ministry of Health.
Pros
More job security than other sectors
Cons
Low increase in wages
Great working environment
Therapist (Current Employee) –  650 Great South Rd, Ellerslie, Auckland 1051.8 December 2015
I deliver weekly a dynamic stretching program prescribed by the Ministry of Health to my client who has Muscular Dystrophy in order to neutralize adaptive muscle shortening, reduce stiffness and to maintain a functional range of motion.

I ensure the safety of my client by acknowledging their physical limitations, feedback, their comfort and providing recovery between stretches. I do this also by providing an appropriate warm up and cool down of the shoulder, wrist and ankle joints.

I thoroughly enjoy my work as a Therapist and do not find it to be challenging. The most fulfilling part of my job is helping and communicating with my client, acknowledging their limitations and ensuring their comfort at all times.
Pros
fantastic working environment and communication.
My role
RN Assessment Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Hutt Valley New Zealand23 September 2015
My role involves comprehensive needs assessment with the intellectually, physically and sensory disabled client.
I work with the babies, children, young people and adults in the home, hospital and community settings.

The Needs Assessment Unit is contracted by the Ministry of Health to do comprehensive assessments with the under 65 client.
productive and a i gained a lot of experience
STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  l4 January 2015
I worked as a emergency room nurse and operating room nurse in the Ministry of Health Libya. it was the most challenging experience in my whole nursing career because i experience handling a mass casualty patients. i worked in the war capital of Libya the Tripoli and i gained a lot of experiences especially having a continuous busy duty from different shifts.
Very personal job
Carer (Former Employee) –  Motueka, New Zealand26 July 2013
This job was ok. It was an easy job which picked up a few personal opportunities such as birthday outings. The job was very enjoyable but very stressful at times as it was a very personal experience.
Pros
fulfilling, good pay
Cons
short hours, stressful