Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

Work
SSE (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 March 2019
Nice people, agile driven. Quality at highest standards, tests were like > 95% code coverage. QA, TL, UR, UX, WM, TL, BA, PO all present on the site which made communication thorough.
Disabled staff are bullied and used
Case Administrator (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk13 March 2019
Was so happy getting a break in the justice field. Had been trying for 16 years. Waited 6 months for security checks to go through. On the first day the manager said I have to go to London for training. I said I'm Autistic traveling there is challenging. I put it on form and had a medical before starting. I assumed the manager knew. On the 2nd day i was told I'm not suited to the job I was recruited for. I had been sterotyped without being given a chance. I had worked on the same team in Childrens services for 3 years previous I only had to retrain to their way and I can work on my own. I was stuck scanning 95% of the time. I was treated like an alien and got depressed really quickly. They wouldn't train me properly and never had time for me. I was hot desking. When i need my own desk being autistic i can't keep changing everyday. This put me on the edge my anxiety through the roof. Admin managers were useless. Was told I was underperforming. Never had that in an Civil Service Department I have worked in previously. Later found out they do that to every disabled person. I had just come off the dole to start the job had to wait 3 month's for my pay. Wish I hadn't bothered. I'm worse of now than before I started the job. Been struggling to find a job since. I'm living on £46 a week. Begging for food. No one cares. Took a grievance out to stand up for disabled people and appealed they all backed each other up. At least they have changed their training and recruitment procedures. But that doesn't help me.
Pros
5 min walk
Cons
Everything ive written
Approved Premises Residential Worker
Approved Premises Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Stafford4 March 2019
Warning: the rota for the full-time role is horrendous and will jeopardise your health in the long run. If you have a partner/family then don't expect to see much of them, and when you do you'll most likely be shattered.

The salary is okay when factoring in the unsociable hours enhancements, but I don't consider it a worthy trade-off for the detrimental affect the job has on health and life outside of work.

Expect a small-office mentality, with the usual back-stabbing, insecurity and pettiness that can come with such environments, and working conditions only look set to worsen if the rumoured government plans to sell-off Approved Premises to a company of dubious repute, turn out to be true.

There is a tendency amongst some managers to give out lucrative weekend cover-shifts to their greedy friends who already earn 30k-plus a year as probation officers, yet also want to grab time-and-a-half shifts at the expense of regular sessional workers for whom that work is often a means to make ends meet.

New staff retention levels are not good, primarily due to the rota, but also because of arrogant, bullying, control-freak managers in charge of some Approved Premises.

There have been instances over recent years where staff are known to have not only stolen from the Approved Premises they work at, but also from ex-residents who've been recalled and whose property has been placed into 'safe' storage for later collection by relatives - yet the matter has been swept under the carpet by management. And they're the one's supposed to be helping to rehabilitate offenders?
  more...

As a stepping stone or means of acquiring relevant experience en-route to more specialised work, this is okay, but long-term? I'd look elsewhere.
Pros
They aren't run by Sodexo, yet...
Cons
The rota. Management.
Approved Premises
Approved Premises Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire4 March 2019

more...

Pros
They aren't run by Sodexo, yet....
Cons
Hours. Management.
Good Organisation
Senior Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 February 2019
Rewarding career

But beware of managers who sit inside their bubble of protection that is a certain Boys Club
You will have a rough time if you cross these.
Pros
Good career
Cons
Uniforms rubbish now. No disciplined leadership
Challenging but uncertain
Interim Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London22 February 2019
Tough environment, but good governance generally, people are fantastic and look out for one another, some really good smart and hard working people. Downside is, you just don't know how long it's going to last.
Rewarding Position with lovely work colleagues
Fleet Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire20 February 2019
Working closely with Line Manager and Transport Manager, to collate fleet information from a monthly costing spreadsheet. Organising and procurement of vehicles and manual handling equipment for prisons nationwide, proved very challenging but also rewarding.

The more difficult part of the job came at financial year end where any money left over had to be used in the purchase of vehicles and MHE equipment.

Enjoyable part of the job was creating the paperwork and raising purchase requisitions for each vehicle purchased.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
commuting from Warwickshire at the time
Great team
Senior Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  UK-wide5 February 2019
A challenging project delivered successfully due to the dedication and hard work of the team and suppliers.

Everyone was prepared to roll their sleeves up and 'muck in'.
National Probation Service
Case Administrator (Former Employee) –  London31 January 2019
All Staff are friendly and helpful. Everyone works hard in a brilliant team. Professional colleagues working for a common goal. The work was a challenge and interesting, the management used to trust us to do our job and be responsible for making some decisions once applicable. Also, suggestions were accepted and reviewed by the managers, who would appreciate and may apply accordingly. Management has been always supportive and friendly, working for a common goal.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Great people to work with (very professional)
Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset26 January 2019
Important work and with a great team
Check emails
Place urgent orders immediately
Check for incoming quotes for work
Always look for best price but also best service
Best years of my life
SESSIONAL WORKER (Current Employee) –  Newbold Revel23 January 2019
Working part time as required is different toworking Full time as you have too. But its still a job and sessional work pays well for a day.

Nice crowd to work with mostly ex officers. Some interpersonal issues, but nothing worrying.
Pros
Canteen
Cons
Lack of Public Transport
Awful place to work
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire10 January 2019
after applying for a flexible work hours position with OPG I then had to wait months for my vetting to then be told my shift was 9-5 wich I stated I couldn’t work they didn’t care and basically told me to leave I gave my notice in in 2017 and 2019 I recived Bailifs at my door saying I was over paid and wanted to take my belongings to pay it back I new nothing about any overpayment Do not work for this company they lie and have no care for employees at all !!!!
Cons
Loved my job working for Capita.
Field Monitoring Officer (Former Employee) –  All over the country10 January 2019
I loved working as an Field Monitoring Officer, my job was hard and you had to be on the ball all the time rush assessing. I learn so much and would loved to have carried in the role. It was rewarding and satisfying.
Pros
Company car
Cons
Awful at paying expenses when owed
Productive and flexible working approach
ICT Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 January 2019
No job security as its a zero hour contract, I enjoyed working for the organisation and have learnt a lot working in this environment. I will be more than happy to work for the same organisation.
Pros
flexible working pattern
Cons
no job security
Enjoyable, management are a joke
Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London27 December 2018
learned a lot, management were a joke - only friends at the job made it worthwhile - management only want to keep you if you suck up to them and forget that you have a life and desires of your own.
Productive workplace
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 December 2018
You get to meet people from different works of life with a panorama of work ethics. It's a good place to begin your career if just out of university. Quite engaging and challenging atmosphere.
Pros
You have your weekends free
Cons
A challenging place for one who is a Christian.
Avoid at all cost
Area Relief Officer (Former Employee) –  East Midlands20 November 2018
Plenty of Bullying, hypocrisy , double standards. No prospects. Work like you have no life. all for minimum pay. many endless hours. different rules for each member of staff. Loads of back stabbing.
Poor management.
Pros
Cons
long hours, bad pay, poor management. Bullying
Caseworker/admin officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 November 2018
Friendly environment and the work load was reasonable. Plenty of overtime and the management were great. The work required a lot of attention to detail and the security precedures were extremely on point. Everything was super professional
Ever changing environment
Regional Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London1 November 2018
The MoJ is a dynamic working environment that has been undergoing constant change over the last four years, which is in line with Government strategies and objectives. This is both challenging and rewarding and has enabled me to expand my wealth of experience and management of change in the FM space considerably.
Pros
Flexible working
Interesting, Fun, Nice people
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 October 2018
I really enjoyed my time at the MoJ. A great place to work with friendly people. A nice environment and work culture, I really enjoyed my role and would return given the chance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.