Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

High caseloads. Poor training
Case Manager - Family Violence Court (Former Employee) –  Auckalnd, NZ24 September 2018
In house unassessed training. 2nd lowest government department pay scales. Long hours are typical depending on Court sitting times. Stressful position dealing directly with offenders, defendants and victims.
Pros
Secure employment
Cons
poor pay scales
MoJ is a good place to work overall
Contact Centre Consultant (Former Employee) –  North Island7 March 2018
Staff tenure is very long - a lot of people have been there for a long time. Some people like the job security, but over the last seven years the government has been restructuring the Public Service. That has led to people facing redundancy.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Some staff are bored and demotivated, which is bad for everyone
Productive and job satisfaction
District Court Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury23 October 2017
Enjoy the environment and work culture. Like the attitude of people around. The best part is the ability to help others. It is usually a productive and well managed day.
Interesting work and supportive managers
Junior Lawyer (Former Employee) –  New Zealand11 September 2017
I was given the opportunity to learn and grown as a junior lawyer. Manager's supported progression and colleagues were supportive of each other.

Day to day work was interesting and engaging and the work environment was generally positive.
Keeping Your Composure
Collection Officer/Bailiff for District Court (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland5 September 2017
As a collections agent/bailiff, work was never dull and there was always job security. There was a need for compassion for the department's "clients" but also a requirement to come to a successful conclusion for both parties
Pros
Team Comraderie
Cons
Threatening Situations
Collections Officer/Deputy Registrar (Current Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington19 February 2017
learned how to be calm in hostile situations
learned fines process as well as collection
Management at the Ministry of Justice is very approachable
workplace culture is awesome easy interaction with people and able to build rapport with each and every member of the call centre
hardest part of the job is when customers do not understand or not willing to understand the process
enjoyable part of the job - every call comes with a new challenge
High Pressure hit the ground running
CRO (Former Employee) –  Auckland18 July 2016
Great people lots of laughs......when time allows. Lowest paid govt organisation. High pressured target driven environment. Most not all staff do not stay long.
Pros
People
Cons
Everything else
A Day at Court
COURT REGISTRY OFFICER - CRIMINAL SECTION (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland16 June 2016
The hectic day starts with court schedule preparation. Case filing, case managment, arrest lists and bails are all part of a days work. The team is supportive enough and days do fly by due to the ever changing nature of different cases.
Pros
Varied Experience Gained
Cons
Long Hours
Steady job
Grants Officer (Current Employee) –  Albany, Auckland30 May 2016
Variety of clientele and groups to work with. some days are slow but some days are fast paced and at time frantic to meet tight deadlines.
Pros
Regular work
Cons
CAn be slow
great environment and team
Call operator/general administrator officer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland18 May 2016
on a day to day basis I answer phones, set up meetings, file folders, email staff/management, updating roster. I came out of this job with great learning experiences and many skills,due to previous studies i learnt a great deal around computing and internet/Microsoft programmes but working for the ministry boosted and enhance more of my skilled capability. My team were always a joy to work with i believe a company can only exceed if your workers are always happy and that was exactly what the atmosphere was. The hardest part of the job was just really being seated all day and not being very proactive due to high computing (email,files) needs. the most enjoyable part was always getting the job done and beyond the companies expectations.
Pros
great team, great employer
Cons
not very active
Stable long term employment
Court Registry Officer (Current Employee) –  Whangarei - New Zealand7 April 2016
I have worked within this organisation for over 15 years and have seen many changes. This organisation gives you the opportunity to be able to cross train. Very high pressured and stressful work environment driven by KPI's and short and long term goals.
All is good
Collection Registry Officer (Current Employee) –  Waitakere, Auckland7 April 2016
Good place to work. good salary
Good environment , with excellent people and friends.
Handy to home and the gym. The ministry of justice fines and collections is currently under restructure , I believe and trust the ministry of their decision as it happened to other ministry department last year and its time for me to move on.
Court Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Nuku'aofa, Tongatapu10 March 2016
Great team player, willing to work any hours required. I have learnt to quickly adept to whatever work environment I am in, I work well under pressure, have excellent research potential, and learn very quickly.
Challenging and fun workplace.
Registry Officer Collections (Liaison Officer) (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand2 February 2016
Working at the Ministry of Justice Fines Collections Department was a very challenging experience. My job involved preparing daily warrants for our bailiffs to action, issueing and printing Warrant to Seize Property, taking the next action on returned Warrants, assigning Warrant to Arrest, dealing with customers over the counter who have had their vehicles seized or clamped by our bailiffs, setting up time payment arrangements, dealing with customers who have Court Imposed fines, arranging police assistance for our bailiffs when needed. The job is very challenging and can be very demanding at times, but having to work in a great and supportive team made my job alot easier. The hardest part of the job would be sometimes having to deal with aggresive and abusive customers, but the most enjoyable part of the job, is having to help customers who are struggling to pay their fines by setting up time payment arrangements with them.
.....
"Court Registry Officer" - duties (Current Employee) –  Manukau City, N9 June 2015
I Enjoy working for the Ministry of Justice.
I have been here for almost 13 years.
Staff are friendly and its a stable job.
Most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help out the customer.
I enjoy meeting people everyday.

I am looking to move to Australia with my Family but need to secure a job in Australia before moving over.
As a government service this is one of the most busiest Government Services in New Zealand on a daily basis, a recommended service to be employed with
Team Leader, Criminal Jurisdiction (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, New Zealand24 March 2015
My typical day at work was dealing with customers requests and inquiries for the full 8 hours 5 days a week, as well as factor in if you are rostered on a Saturday. I learnt to value all my customers and support your co-workers. My managers were the most supportive and amazing leaders which I respected during the 15 years of service. My co-workers were hard-working, dedicated, committed and knowledgeable and as much experience as I had. The hardest part of the job was me resigning and moving to Australia. The most enjoyable part of the job was everything, the business of the entire operation, dealing with the sheer numbers of people in one given day, providing the best service you could give, results.
Pros
excellent staff, scope and range of work
Enquiry/Issuing Officer(S/O) & Counter (Former Employee) –  Tarrangower Primary School,Taumarunui, NZ29 September 2014
Refreshing & Exciting.
I learnt more about Election Staff, Polling places and the Voting process.
The Co-workers are Great, helpful and consistently courteous.
The hardest part of the job is assisting people who are unprepared to vote and that may be moody when they do come to vote.

The most enjoyable part of the job is doing the job professionally.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Moody people.
Productive, no 2 days were the same and my colleagues and management made it easier to come to work
Collections Registry Officer/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Manukau, Auckland28 September 2014
Typical day at work would involve great team bonding at the same time getting the required work done.
Having an awesome team allowed us to never have a dull moment at work, we could laugh at each other's errors and then solve them together as a team.
Hardest part of the day would be, having to do our jobs and the outcome not being to that of what the customer had to do but we were restricted by legislation to do anything else.
Enjoyed my Position As Court Security Officer
Court Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Hastings, Hawkes Bay.28 August 2014
Overall it was a great Job and working amongst such a diverse range of People. Each day was different so you never knew what to expect.
Learning while in this Job has shown and was able to achieve my path in success.

Being valued as a good asset was invaluable.
Comfortable and Amazing Workplace
Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Wellington, N11 August 2014
I was enjoying myself working together with the co-workers. I felt really comfortable and happy when I first entered the workplace - Awesome Place. I have learnt a lot of things such as filing, communication skills, photocopying and other jobs required. I cannot record any hard part of the job. It was brilliant working with the Wellington Legal Aid team (Ministry of Justice).
Pros
Free food
Cons
Don't have any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.