MITRE 10 Employee Reviews

I quit because management bullied myself and many other team members out the door.
Check-out operator (Former Employee) –  Takanini, Auckland27 December 2018
Mitre 10 Takanini for at least 6 months before things went downhill. I began receiving 100% on mystery shop reports. I was always delivering with the "My 10 Cents Worth" survey. I loved my customers and had regulars that would come to my checkout. Things were good. The customer service team became sour towards quite a few of the checkout operators and due to them all being close in age, early 20's, they were all very involved in eachothers lives outside of work too, which meant they would bring outside drama in. I never had any problems with outside dramas, it was genuinely bullying for my praise from HR and other higher up management members.
Pros
I loved my customers. Cafe was always yum, food and drinks.
Cons
Long hours. Terrible management, too young for their roles mentally. No communication. Not much hands on training, only training was online.
Tyrant on the loose!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Nelson25 December 2018
I worked here for over 1 year. With such a huge emphasis on online training and health and safety it all initially appeared good.. The team I worked with worked extremely hard for just above minimum wage (interestingly lower than other areas of the same store). The Leadership in my area was dreadful (tyrannical). I encountered sexism, racism, bullying to a high extent and very low moral. Management was patently disinterested or out of their depth in addressing these issues.

Other hardworking staff shared these concerns.

Despite some efforts being made in some areas - the amount of plastic and recyclable materials being dumped (with little effort required) was shameful.
Old School
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato19 December 2018
An old school company with traditional values and bright orange uniforms. Staff are managed rather than empowered, and that, along with the uniform, means most people don't feel pride in their job. Feels much like working in a factory line. Morale was low and culture was negative. Store Managers could be bullies ruling their kingdom, and there were loads of sexist comments.

It's a good place to learn on the job and meet new people. The company was trying hard to improve and learn from past mistakes.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Uniform, bullies
Fun environment helpful work colleges lots of courses available to get more work knowledge
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland13 December 2018
I loved working for 8 years at mitre 10 mega botany i loved the environment loved working and meeting and helping customers worked as a team lot of challenges i faced but tackled them one after another..my pay was the major concern which was not to much of a help when i had to look after my extended family expenses were sky high and pay was not enough
Pros
Free courses free parking
Cons
Worked from 7am to 7pm
Senior influential role
Business Development Manager | Retail Operations (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland24 February 2018
Planning, coordinating and implementing merchandising and operational business initiatives at store level and supporting other
functional areas of the business requiring work program implementations or store level actions.
Project management and coordination with Owner Operators, internal Stakeholders, Suppliers and third-party
Contractors to deliver new stores and store upgrades across the Mitre 10 network.
Pros
Team commitment to delivering results
Cons
Limited career advancement opportunities
Great people to work with, poor pay and training
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, Otago20 February 2018
Easy job to get comfortable in but poor training and upper management weren't great on the whole. Experienced staff are great, really knowledgeable and helpful but tend to get underpaid hence such a high turnaround.
Productive and fun
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Ferrymead, Canterbury14 February 2018
I have enjoyed working with mitre10
I have been complemented by management and staff.
Had the opportunity to work on the shop floor as well as my cleaning roll.

The opportunity to learn new things.
E. Learning on different skills
Pros
Free fruit... Ham at Xmas and Xmas gift
Productive and demanding
Trade Department (Current Employee) –  TeAwamutu20 January 2018
As I am only employed on a casual basis and only work Saturday and Sundays and on call on other days when required I can only review on the days I work,
I start at 8am and work till either 4pm or 6pm as required
Usually my typical day starts with either picking orders for builders if any required then it is cleaning up ie putting stock away that has been picked but not required general clean up to make the work area safe
learning has been the different grades of timber etc
Management in the store is by department the trade department I have found to be inflexible I have applied to transfer to week days instead of only weekends but without success
Hardest part is on occasions moving the extra long timber
Most enjoyable is the friendship of all the staff throughout the store
Pros
Good staff discount and BBQ's for staff
Cons
As stated inflexible, when wanting to change to weekdays so I can have quality time with family at weekends
2IC in training (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty7 January 2018
This was a great place to work with alot off friendly welcoming staff, very personalized management team always helpful, great team environment, lots of incentives for good sales and good salary, I had 3 pay rises in this company which was awesome, the hardest part of the job was grumpy customers but that was very rare. I enjoyed being responsible for the department for our manager, and I especially enjoyed the team building after hours that were provided for us, overall a great place to work I would definately work for Mitre 10 again.
Pros
Gas vouchers and supermarket vouchers 4 per week, free lunches, staff training for forklifts, health and safety training, osh, Nzqa certificates obtained aswell.
Cons
Some bossy staff and grumpy customers
Fun Workplace
Specifications Executive, Kitchen & bathrooms (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand16 December 2017
As meeting all the time architects and designers for specifications , it was interesting answering their queries and finding solutions to their requirements
Productive and Fun workplace
Night Fill (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury20 November 2017
The workplace at Mitre 10 was a positive, productive and fun environment that allowed me to learn new skills and thrive within the business. The staff were friendly and informative thus I was quickly able to learn how to do my job efficiently. I learned how to take the initiative and recognize what needs to be done and do it before being asked, customer service and inwards goods, as well as achieving a electronic pallet jack licence. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers and helping them with their needs as well as providing my service to a business in a way that was integral to the everyday successful operation (stocking shelves full of products at night).
Customer Services/ Head of Department (Former Employee) –  Ashburton, Canterbury11 November 2017
I learnt a lot about the ways of the Kiwi Culture which was new to me.
It was interesting and a fun place to work in.
We did a lot of in store training which was good
It was a non stop job you are on the go at all times
Friendly & Safe Working Environment
Trade Account Manager Support Backup - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland5 November 2017
Mitre 10 Mega Botany provided safe working environment to its staff and customers. Staff were friendly and enjoy working as a team.Since working for this company I have gained experience both in sales and administration as well and also some knowledge in timber industry.Most enjoyable part was interacting with customers and hardest part was serving difficult customers and making them leave the store with a smile.
Great environment to work in, everyones friendly.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury20 September 2017
Really enjoyed working there. Great culture, everyones friendly and welcoming and theres always something to do. Overall would definitely recommend if you are looking for a job that you know you'll be happy all the time working there.
Pros
always get a lunch break
Cons
no holiday between October and February
Not a pleasant enviroment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury10 August 2017
Some great/talented people work for this business who are completely undervalued. Management are not interested in the well-being of staff although they profess to be.
Pros
Some excellent staff
Cons
Everything else
Productive, unappreciated, underestimated & understaffed
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Henderson, Auckland27 June 2017
Workmates and team members were great to work alongside most of the time and I made good life long friends along the way but the management side of trade is slack and doesn't do anything for his staff and puts no effort into supporting team members on positive things but will lash out at the little things that makes him look bad.
Pros
Workmates, learning environment & the people I met
Cons
Trade manager
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty29 May 2017
At work I enjoyed it a lot, I had learned many new skills from the team and management.It is very diverse and comes with some difficulties but are achievable. The most enjoyable part of my job would be communicating with the team and also customer service.
Friendly
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato7 May 2017
Working here everyone is very nice and the people you work with become like family. There is a lot of standing around but otherwise everything is awesome here.
Pros
Make new friends
Cons
standing a lot, so feet hurt
Sad lonely place
Assistant Manager/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Rangiora, Canterbury18 April 2017
This branch has upper Management issues. They like to feel in control by picking on the most precious asset they have. Their staff!

The staff teams can be fun, with great knowledge and customer service, but they tend to let their fear of Management sadden their days. The hardest part of my day was being the buffer between Management and staff. They required me to manage and not lead! My teams worked better being led.

There are no benefits with this company. If you try to advance they will belittle you until you leave. This does however teach the soft leader, myself, to harden up. There is always a positive!

I would have liked to have been in the position to make friends here as there are some wonderful people from all walks of life and skill sets.
Pros
Staff and Customers
Cons
Upper Management
Customer Service Consultant/Trade Representative (Former Employee) –  Hastings, New Zealand6 April 2017
Strong culture of teamwork.
Excellent managerial support.
Encouragement and time to gain product knowledge.
Strong culture of company pride, customer care and personal motivation encouraged.
Pros
Team work and customer care