MITRE 10
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

MITRE 10 Employee Reviews

New Zealand77 reviews
Working on the customer service desk is demanding as many of the customers may be returning goods or asking for a refund due to an unsatisfactory product, therefore your people skills and problem solving skills must always be at their highest, and always a smile on your face. Learning the internal computer system and the thousands of products we sold, which is mostly homeware, kitchens, bathrooms, tools and so much more so every day there was something new.
I've worked in a few Mitre 10 stores around, and each had different management, so it really depends on the specific store as to our experience.
Smith's Mitre 10 was excellent in providing discounts and events for staff which was very appreciated, and made a big difference in staff positivity. McAlpines Mitre 10 was less accommodating but still a relatively decent store to work at when I was there.
Good people and overall good company would have been nice to stay on bug it was only casual .
Great people. Helped out as much as they could make you laugh And good fun people.
Low wage, no job promotion or pay raise despite of the great result.
Physical pressure. But you can be lucky to have friendly and supportive team members.
It was my first official job so I wasn't too sure on what I should have expected. But it was extremely good. Gained new friendships and everyone was easy going. Environment ranged in age which made it more interesting and fun. Mangers and floor managers were really nice and just as easy to get a long with. Pay was always on time and accurate, everything was at a very high standard.
on floor staff team members great, management could give more direction and training. Feel that lack of direction from middle management. moved around different departments so no chance to have good product knowledge and specialize in one area . No training is given
The environment and work space at Mitre 10 QTown was amazing. Great staff with knowledgeable and informative training modules and support. Weekly mandatory retail modules were taken to ensure staff were up to date on any and all new rules procedures and WH/S.
Pros
Great work space
Cons
Cold inside sometimes
My store was in a very touristy location, therefore constant employee turnover. That was fine as the company provide plenty of online and in-store training and more when requested. Very expensive area for the salary I was.on
Pros
Great work life balance, Constant training and team building activities, highly regarded company, plenty hours
Cons
Low salary, management could be better
As I was full-time studying they did allow me to work when time was available for me which worked very well with my timetable but they also offered during the holidays more hours which could be great for someone that has the time applicable.
Working at mitre 10 is a fast paced job especially at this time of year. I have a supporting manager who I can talk to whenever I need. If you have family or health issues they are very accomodating. The pay scale is on par with the position pay elsewhere in the country. Team work is encouraged along with open communications the store owners provide a medical cover and fruit in the staff room every week
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at MITRE 10?
Need to close public holidays. Profits before people would be good if there was more balance. Definitely should be closed Waitangi Day and Labour weekend, also opening later on boxing day at 10.00 to 4pm
Pros
Cheap products for staff
Cons
Long hours, no balance of life, poor pay
Too much work not enough pay
Managers were useless never addressed issues bullying etc.

Worked hard for a 30 cent payrise was disappointed.

The manager sat on her butt all day barked orders drank coffees. Bullied and intimidated staff.

Struggled to survive and

Left for another job paying $7$7motemoremore. Just a job expect low pay sexism bullying no progression.
this company has an extremely high turnover of staff. there are many staff that have stayed and progressed however there is no guarantee that they will be the most supportive of employers
Pros
occasional bonuses
Cons
rostered hours to cover all opperating hours
I love the team I work with but there are multiple people in management that forget that the people working are humans with feelings. The benefits of working here are poor, the discount varies, I have worked for over a year and seen my salary rise little to nothing, my employers do not give match me in my deposit of KiwiSaver, there is next to no appreciation for the effort I put in and I have never been given the opportunity to pick up extra shifts. This job is one that has taught me a lot and I have met some amazing hard working people but I will not be raving about my experience there. Just hoping that the management and treatment of staff improves.
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Part time staff are left out of the loop and expected to know what to do constantly, management can be intense, few perks
I've learn about new products, items that's I've never heard of , I've enhanced my communication and people skills with dealing and assisting customers.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Extremely busy on weekends
A varied work day due to customers coming to the store and all of them wanting different products for different projects day would progress quickly. I learnt a lot about building compliance in NZ and how to interact with alsorts of people the culture overall was good some downs some ups but overall all a good place to work
Mitre 10 Takanini for at least 6 months before things went downhill. I began receiving 100% on mystery shop reports. I was always delivering with the "My 10 Cents Worth" survey. I loved my customers and had regulars that would come to my checkout. Things were good. The customer service team became sour towards quite a few of the checkout operators and due to them all being close in age, early 20's, they were all very involved in eachothers lives outside of work too, which meant they would bring outside drama in. I never had any problems with outside dramas, it was genuinely bullying for my praise from HR and other higher up management members.
Pros
I loved my customers. Cafe was always yum, food and drinks.
Cons
Long hours. Terrible management, too young for their roles mentally. No communication. Not much hands on training, only training was online.
I worked here for over 1 year. With such a huge emphasis on online training and health and safety it all initially appeared good.. The team I worked with worked extremely hard for just above minimum wage (interestingly lower than other areas of the same store). The Leadership in my area was dreadful (tyrannical). I encountered sexism, racism, bullying to a high extent and very low moral. Management was patently disinterested or out of their depth in addressing these issues.

Other hardworking staff shared these concerns.

Despite some efforts being made in some areas - the amount of plastic and recyclable materials being dumped (with little effort required) was shameful.
An old school company with traditional values and bright orange uniforms. Staff are managed rather than empowered, and that, along with the uniform, means most people don't feel pride in their job. Feels much like working in a factory line. Morale was low and culture was negative. Store Managers could be bullies ruling their kingdom, and there were loads of sexist comments.

It's a good place to learn on the job and meet new people. The company was trying hard to improve and learn from past mistakes.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Uniform, bullies
I loved working for 8 years at mitre 10 mega botany i loved the environment loved working and meeting and helping customers worked as a team lot of challenges i faced but tackled them one after another..my pay was the major concern which was not to much of a help when i had to look after my extended family expenses were sky high and pay was not enough
Pros
Free courses free parking
Cons
Worked from 7am to 7pm
Planning, coordinating and implementing merchandising and operational business initiatives at store level and supporting other
functional areas of the business requiring work program implementations or store level actions.

Project management and coordination with Owner Operators, internal Stakeholders, Suppliers and third-party

Contractors to deliver new stores and store upgrades across the Mitre 10 network.
Pros
Team commitment to delivering results
Cons
Limited career advancement opportunities