Muffin Break
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Muffin Break Employee Reviews

New Zealand22 reviews
Fast-paced job with many learning experiences available in customer service, food preparation, working with others, cleanliness and other cafe-style activities.
Testing the temperatures of the finished products, shelf life analysis of products, stock analysis, and customer service. These are regular job roles.
I had worked at muffin break for 2year and half and I also got a work visa during working with professional mind. I am a fast learner, skillfull, excellent preparation and had work to get along with coworkers and the boss.
Pros
free muffin and free coffee
Cons
no cons
cleaning, serving customers at the till, preparing food and cold drinks. i enjoyed cleaning and interacting with the customers. when the customers were satisfied with their meal, i was happy.
Didn't like working here. Franchisee denied requests to learn new things. There were good parts though; there was always something to do. 50-50% on recommendation to apply. It depends on the franchisee though.
Pros
One free coffee whenever you work, one free muffin whenever you work, staff discount on cabinet foods.
Cons
Lots of drama, boss isn't nice, too much staff working at once.
I enjoyed my time at muffin break. As this was my fist customer service role i learnt a great deal working here. Not only did i learn great customers services skills such as how to converse with customers and create customer satisfaction and well as learning to be apart of a team. I now know how to operate a point of sales machine. i also completed muffin break barista course. Hardest part of the job was very small work area. what i enjoyed was the great team culture and friendly managers.
Hands on job... Working alot with your hands being creative and a fast paced worker making sure all the dutys were done and everything was done healthy and correctly
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Night shift
When I at work in one of the first few days, there was a high peak order time and a long line in front of the counter. There had four staffs working at the same time. And not take too long, i was impressed with not only the fast speed of service, also the quality of preparing the meal which responded with satisfied feedback from customers. I learned the team work is very important and also the attitude towards work. Later, I tried my best in training and fasted to learn everything, also made comfortable communications with my colleagues.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
early start time
this job is normal and there workers are almost Indian.

culture is good, most of time is busy,

Owner and some people have good personality.

and have a lot of regular.
Pros
one coffee, muffin free a day
Cons
no pay breaktime
I enjoyed working as part of a passionate team, meeting new people everyday and the pride that came from providing customers with excellent service time and time again. I was hired over the busy period and worked hard, taking on long shifts. I was disappointed that post Christmas, as the shop became less busy I lost hours on the roster and was eventually told I was no longer needed.
Pros
Free muffin every day, working in a fun, social environment.
Cons
Losing hours on the roster when the shop was quieter.
the work place was great and fun, however management wasn't too good. had issues with manager not willing to increase my wage for my role as Assistant manager.
Co-workers were great and an enjoyable bunch to work with.
Pros
half price on food and drinks
Cons
bad management
I had worked at muffin break for 2year and half and I also got a residence visa during working with professional mind. I am a fast learner, skillfull, excellent preparation and had work to get along with coworkers and the boss.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent at Muffin Break. In this environment I learnt a range of new skills. I started out learning how to serve customers and operate the till. I learnt how to greet customers, make them feel welcome and provide them with fast and efficient service. Once I learnt how to carry out coffee, prepare cabinet food as I was serving customers and how to use the commercial dishwasher, I was required to move quickly from station to station during peak hour. The key thing I learnt in this job was to always put the customer first. No matter how busy or stressful the day was, I would take the time to provide friendly service and display a positive attitude. We had a "customer is always right" policy, so I learnt to problem solve with even the most difficult customers. Thanks to Muffin Break, I now have the skills to work well in a busy environment and display a positive and friendly attitude when dealing with customers. I am truly grateful for my time at Muffin Break and the great trianing I recieved.
Pros
Friendly customers, a fun and busy work environment.
Cons
Too many tasks to perform at once during busy periods, the occasional grumpy customer.
Learned about time management, making coffee, how to deal with customers and how to bake. Hardest part is cleaning and co workers are very co-prate.
you need to work under pressure and need to wake up very early in the morning. the whole team is friendly.
I've learnt some baking skills here and also learnt how to work under pressure.
Pros
free muffins
Cons
Fun workplace but very straight forward.
Strict rules to apply as expected. Must know your stuff as days can get very very busy and stressful. High standards from management such as health and safety rules etc.
Pros
Discount on beverages and food
Cons
Short hours
A typical day at muffin break would be getting there and tidying the store for about an hour until customers start to come. Then for most of the rest of the day I would be serving people and doing dishes and occasionally making coffee if it was super busy. I learned skills like how to please the customer, make enjoyable experiences, give the customers good quality food, make coffee and more. My co-workers were all quite a few years older than me I was very lucky to get a job at 15, but it was hard for me because they were all older and had more experience, but this was a positive I took as it an advantage and worked harder and learned off them. The hardest part of this job for me was getting the food for the customer I found this hard because I had not been told in the morning what food was where. The most enjoyable part of this job was serving the customers, I love to talk to people and make them feel welcome and want to come back to the store.
Pros
Half price food, a free muffin and drink a day
Cons
Some days I got no brake which was really hard for me, sometimes I was ignored because they thought I didnt know what i was capable of.
Everyone was friendly and easy to get along with.
Learnt everything very fast.
From serving customers with a good cuppa right through to managing staff as well as covering shifts - Muffin Break is a full on job. No two days were the same. I learned to think on my feet to come up with on the spot solutions. I am someone who enjoys a busy schedule and getting a lot done. But at times it is hard to take a step back and get a perspective. I have learned to delegate work to people so that I can be more efficient.
Pros
Meet people of diverse backgrounds
Cons
When busy- couldn't talk to my customers
A typical day at Muffin Break consists of serving a steady flow of customers all day while also maintaining food levels, cleanliness of table, chairs, dishes and store.
Within this role I gained a Food Safety certificate and learned basic barista skills. I also developed my existing food making skills which I have developed through years of working in hospitality and food service.

The co-workers were extremely friendly, helpful and strong team players.

The hardest part of the job would be training new staff members as I find it quite difficult if the person learning doesn't necessarily learn in the style I teach.

In saying that I really enjoyed the opportunity to develop my teaching skills within this position and learning basic barista skills has made me want to further my abilities within that field.
Pros
Half price food
Cons
You only get 10minute breaks every two hours
i did learn alot from the other staff members, the management was ok aswell.

I didn't really like it because i got bored easily and i think it just wasnt the job i wanted to stay with.
Pros
breakups
Cons
when my hours keep getting reduced