New Zealand Army

New Zealand Army Employee Reviews

army life
joined the army 2008 straight from high school. I joined as a medic first then a year later trade change to a Administrator for 6 years then joined reserved forces as a supplier logisitics. rejoined regular force 2015 as suptech logistics. here I learnt about warehousing, freight distribution, I gain a International air transport association qualification where I am qualified to send dangerous goods overseas.
As a administrator I gained, communication skills, networking, intermediate standard of computer skills, planning and tasking, management. I gain more experience than real qualifications in this role.
Pros
free medical and dental
Cons
spent alot of time away from family
New Zealand Army Review
SHIFT LEADER / KITCHENHAND (Former Employee) –  Burnham, Canterbury3 April 2019
I loved my time with the Military. I was made redundant in 2017, otherwise I would still be there. In my time there I met a lot of wonderful people, from all walks of life. I learned all the skills I needed for formal and informal catering for large groups. the hardest part of the job was during the Christchurch earthquakes, yet in some ways it was the best, because the army is a family that takes care of its own. Management were wonderful to me when my husband was ill with cancer. They made it possible to see him every day, while allowing me to fit my work hours around this. A typical day at work was catering, while it was hard work, it was fun and very rewarding.
Pros
Free food, Superannuation, Study Leave, Great lifetime friends.
great time of my life
Driver Trainer and Licence Testing Officer (Former Employee) –  NZ4 February 2019
their isn't a Typical day
when I join the Amy I didn't have anything other than a drivers licence for a car, by the time I left I was a driver trainer and Licence testing officer. made some life time friends
the work was sometimes hard but with the culture of the Army your mates / co-workers would always pitch in and help

the hardest thing about the Army was towards the end of my time was being away from Family for so long
Pros
friendships
Cons
time away from family
Great
Gunner, RNZA (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, New Zealand20 December 2017
I was a Gunner in the New Zealand Army for 4 years, i enjoyed my time in the army, I had the opportunity to do various activities that i will remember for the rest of my life.
Good to make life mates
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, New Zealand2 October 2017
Good opportunities to make a life long career or have a good start to the working life. Plenty of sport involved and time off as well as early knock offs
Pros
Plenty of sport, good mates, cheap living, deployments
Stress workplace
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Linton, Manawatu-Wanganui25 June 2017
A job for some and a purpose for others

NZ ARMY is the pinnacle of the defence force alongside the Royal New Zealand Navy and the royal New Zealand airforce in both supporting in overseas operations and domestic operations from security of a camp/compound to helping keep the communities morale high
Pros
Free dental, medical
Cons
24 hours a day
Awesome
Soldier (Former Employee) –  New zealand10 April 2017
Great skills artillery infantry and crew man are your best combat careers or go from a trade if you don't want to be a lifer in the military gives you great skills and awesome training
Military
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Christchurch13 March 2017
It was the military so not much to disclose. It is what it is. There was a very social aspect to this and I have made life long friends no matter how many years pass, you just pick up where you left off, just a little rounder and more grey hairs.
Very Productive, Rewarding
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Linton Camp, Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui30 August 2016
- Varies within unit culture and objectives
- Many skills
- Great Management
- Great life-long co-workers
- ?
- Camaraderie and Army culture
A professional and dedicated organisation ready to serve New Zealand and her interests.
Lead Training Planner (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury9 May 2016
Professional
Mission Focussed
People Orientated
A very good set of values
Good leadership
Well equipped and resourced
Good balance between work and family life
Great experince
Gunner, OCP Operation Command Post, RNZA Artilery (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago20 March 2016
Life changing time for a young man. I gained experience and life long friends. I encourage any person to enter military service. Very big part of who I am today.
A very social and hardworking environment
Crewman, Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles, Linton (Former Employee) –  Linton,13 January 2016
A challenging career with a multitude of diverse skills to learn.
From employing soldiers in a tactical environment to maintaining your uniform to a high standard. The NZ Army has taught me a lot about maintaining disciplinary standards, equipment husbandry, how to effectively employ myself and soldiers under my command to best achieve our commanders' intents. There are also a few perks with the NZ army such as various courses, education, licencing, the ability to travel on exchanges and operations. The best part about the career was the social environment. The soldiers and officers are not just your work colleagues but your mates as well.
Pros
Free lunches in the garrison environments. Free meals in the field
Cons
Sentry duties at night
Work
Team Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Linton7 June 2015
Overall a good business to work for. A company that puts its workers first, with a great sense of achievement. The mix of work and life can be a struggle if you have a young family, so flexibility as an individual is very important if you decide to work for this company.
Tough but rewading environment, everyday offering a new life lesson
Armoured Reconnaissance Crewman (Former Employee) –  NZ based offereing global prospects9 April 2014
Great yet challenging experience, However not the most family friendly career.
Consistant, reliable, often adventerous.
Medic (Current Employee) –  Linton Military Camp3 March 2014
NZDF is a place for anyone wishing to work 'outside the box'.
Not for everyone however. Military service really is a lifestyle, not a job.
a life to remember
New zealand army (Former Employee) –  palmerston north new zealand22 January 2014
i couldn't tell you a typical day in the army it was never the same i learned how much a team environment means an how working together is a key .i learned not everyone in the civilian world always be there for you like my brother were in the army .no one is going to help in with out wanting something back .when ll you can give is your blood an sweat is more than enough even a simple hand shack makes your day
best hing a young man can do
engineer (Former Employee) –  papakura26 November 2013
no such thing as a normal day every day we did different thing
u did as u where told and go were they told u to go
soldier (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, S19 September 2013
every day was diffrent so it turned out to be very good as u did not know what was going to happen from day to day
Pros
travel
Cons
24/7 every day
Changes
Senior Electronic Warfare Operator (Current Employee) –  Burnham11 May 2013
The army along with the entire defence force has experienced many changes recently which has eroded a lot of the loyalty that existed.
My typical day involves Meetings with the command team (of which I am part of), conducting planning tasks both present and future focused, account for security items, deal with any issues that may arise from the meetings or from personnel, liaising with outside agencies and produce documentation in support of any Squadron issues.
Pros
Free gym/fitness training, uniform provided.
Cons
Difficult with family life, no longer a carear-just a job (major change and dissapointing)
Hard work and physical workplace
Crewman (Former Employee) –  Linton Military Camp4 February 2013
A typical day of work in the Army is very different compared to an average civilian workplace. I needed flexibility of change quite often, from timings we needed to meet, to a different training programme from another. We usually have a timed programme for upcoming training and what's going to happen. Starting off with a general overview of the year and then a detailed programme for the next month or two. It always involves things such as physical training, work maintenance, administration etc. We deploy to the Waiouru training area around at least 4-5 times a year, on average we stay there around 6-9 days. I learned a lot of punctuality, reliability to others from myself and vice versa, teamwork was a another big thing I learnt too. I've met a lot of people at the army since it is a big workforce. I learned a lot from them as well, from their personalities, work ethics, different attitudes, heaps of hard workers, their point of views of the military and many levels of experience. The management I've witnessed can be tricky since it works on a multiple rank structure, certain information might not get passed on, but they mostly cope very well with it. As said before flexibility is strongly needed since things change on a regular basis and can cause chaos. Patience was essential too as we usually sit around for long periods of time waiting for orders. I enjoyed the experience in the military life. I've been to different places overseas and just about everywhere in the north island. Made a lot of mates too which I still keep in contact with.
Pros
24/7 pay during off work and leave, free medical, free dental and gym time
Cons
the organisation, sitting around