New Zealand Army

New Zealand Army Employee Reviews for Crew Member

A very social and hardworking environment
Crewman, Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles, Linton (Former Employee) –  Linton,13 January 2016
A challenging career with a multitude of diverse skills to learn.
From employing soldiers in a tactical environment to maintaining your uniform to a high standard. The NZ Army has taught me a lot about maintaining disciplinary standards, equipment husbandry, how to effectively employ myself and soldiers under my command to best achieve our commanders' intents. There are also a few perks with the NZ army such as various courses, education, licencing, the ability to travel on exchanges and operations. The best part about the career was the social environment. The soldiers and officers are not just your work colleagues but your mates as well.
Pros
Free lunches in the garrison environments. Free meals in the field
Cons
Sentry duties at night
Tough but rewading environment, everyday offering a new life lesson
Armoured Reconnaissance Crewman (Former Employee) –  NZ based offereing global prospects9 April 2014
Great yet challenging experience, However not the most family friendly career.
Hard work and physical workplace
Crewman (Former Employee) –  Linton Military Camp4 February 2013
A typical day of work in the Army is very different compared to an average civilian workplace. I needed flexibility of change quite often, from timings we needed to meet, to a different training programme from another. We usually have a timed programme for upcoming training and what's going to happen. Starting off with a general overview of the year and then a detailed programme for the next month or two. It always involves things such as physical training, work maintenance, administration etc. We deploy to the Waiouru training area around at least 4-5 times a year, on average we stay there around 6-9 days. I learned a lot of punctuality, reliability to others from myself and vice versa, teamwork was a another big thing I learnt too. I've met a lot of people at the army since it is a big workforce. I learned a lot from them as well, from their personalities, work ethics, different attitudes, heaps of hard workers, their point of views of the military and many levels of experience. The management I've witnessed can be tricky since it works on a multiple rank structure, certain information might not get passed on, but they mostly cope very well with it. As said before flexibility is strongly needed since things change on a regular basis and can cause chaos. Patience was essential too as we usually sit around for long periods of time waiting for orders. I enjoyed the experience in the military life. I've been to different places overseas and just about everywhere in the north island. Made a lot of mates too which I still keep in contact with.
Pros
24/7 pay during off work and leave, free medical, free dental and gym time
Cons
the organisation, sitting around