New Zealand Army

New Zealand Army Employee Review

View all New Zealand Army reviews

Hard work and physical workplace
Crewman (Former Employee) –  Linton Military Camp4 February 2013
A typical day of work in the Army is very different compared to an average civilian workplace. I needed flexibility of change quite often, from timings we needed to meet, to a different training programme from another. We usually have a timed programme for upcoming training and what's going to happen. Starting off with a general overview of the year and then a detailed programme for the next month or two. It always involves things such as physical training, work maintenance, administration etc. We deploy to the Waiouru training area around at least 4-5 times a year, on average we stay there around 6-9 days. I learned a lot of punctuality, reliability to others from myself and vice versa, teamwork was a another big thing I learnt too. I've met a lot of people at the army since it is a big workforce. I learned a lot from them as well, from their personalities, work ethics, different attitudes, heaps of hard workers, their point of views of the military and many levels of experience. The management I've witnessed can be tricky since it works on a multiple rank structure, certain information might not get passed on, but they mostly cope very well with it. As said before flexibility is strongly needed since things change on a regular basis and can cause chaos. Patience was essential too as we usually sit around for long periods of time waiting for orders. I enjoyed the experience in the military life. I've been to different places overseas and just about everywhere in the north island. Made a lot of mates too which I still keep in contact with.
Pros
24/7 pay during off work and leave, free medical, free dental and gym time
Cons
the organisation, sitting around

Other New Zealand Army Employee Reviews

working on LAV
Crewman (Former Employee) –  Waiouru Military Camp13 August 2019
to me, it seems it was going to be no joyride but eventually it got better I was a new recruit and it took a lot of processing to actually get the position but got through all the police checks and was leaving to become a soldier in the NZ Defense Force
Pros
yes free lunch
Cons
long hours dorm
army life
joined the army 2008 straight from high school. I joined as a medic first then a year later trade change to a Administrator for 6 years then joined reserved forces as a supplier logisitics. rejoined regular force 2015 as suptech logistics. here I learnt about warehousing, freight distribution, I gain a International air transport association qualification where I am qualified to send dangerous goods overseas.
As a administrator I gained, communication skills, networking, intermediate standard of computer skills, planning and tasking, management. I gain more experience than real qualifications in this role.
Pros
free medical and dental
Cons
spent alot of time away from family