New Zealand Defence Force Employee Reviews

Nzdf
NZ Army Officer, Captain (Former Employee) –  Manawatu28 November 2018
A structured, regimental life that sets you up for success within its current structure. As a school leaver it did me well to establish routine, discipline, and structure. In my latter years it also taught me well in how to communicate with non-military individuals and organisations in the varied environments people will find military organisations in.
Pros
Health, motivation, direct answers, real life examples, courage, integrity, .
Cons
If you're in too long, you can become institutionalised.
Excellent Teams, Productive and Innovative
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland27 April 2018
The company were excellent to work for, the projects were complex laser and electronic data communication products. These required bespoke mechanical housings that were pressure sealed to Military Standards
Pros
Innovative ideas were encouraged on difficult Military specifications
Cons
Hours could be long
excellent
Marine engineer Electrical (Current Employee) –  Devonport, Auckland25 February 2018
An excellent career to build soft and hard skills, really enjoy working alongside like minded people who contribute to protecting New Zealand Trade, EEZ and Shores.
Well balanced
NZ Soldier (Army) (Former Employee) –  Burnham, Canterbury9 January 2018
The New Zealand Defence Force is a proud, strong and well balanced organisation. The NZDF supports all personnel (and their families) in service with a whole range of support networks as well as others.

As per the rating chart above, 5 stars overall.
Pros
Free dental, medical and life insurance. Fitness.
Varied and Mature
Manager Supplier Relationships (Current Employee) –  Trentham, Wellington17 November 2017
NZDF is a mature commercial entity, with a vast and varied range of supplier requirements. There is almost nothing we don't purchase and every day is different. NZDF has some real and somethings intensive requirements, that result from real life situations (Kaikoura earthquake).
Pros
Culture, variation, range of tasks
Cons
bureaucratic processes
Hard worker ready to stand to
Directorate of Defence Security Officer (Current Employee) –  NZ2 October 2017
Currently looking for a job that will have job progression and the opportunity to educate, every job I've ever worked at has been great environment but can only go so far.
Pros
Good team members, great job
Cons
no job progression, long hours
Challenging and Fun
Trainee (Current Employee) –  Waioru2 September 2017
Really hard work. hardcore p.t sessions. but gained a lot of trust in people, learnt a lot of skills like team work and communication skills. hardest part of the job was just the timing. mins to shower stuff like that.
Fun Workplace
DENTAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury22 February 2017
seeing patients everyday from 0800 to 1500. Learned a lot things for example about personal Hygiene. How to communicate with people and how to work under pressure.
Physically demanding and travel
Relocation Technician (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington31 January 2017
Constant travel throughout country working at various different sites, ability to work alone or in a team, accomodation paid for in various locations.
Pros
Travel and accommodation paid for
Good cumpony
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Linton Manawatu New Zealand29 January 2017
Learnt a lot while I was in the defence force, made heaps of good friends.
Hardest part o te job was leaving family behind when I was on exercise.
Management was really great and always helpful.
Excellent team culture and dynamic.
Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury15 December 2016
I make my own day and there is always time for physical activity/fitness to improve the body and mind.

Free doctor and dental are huge benefits I'm not sure every soldier really appreciates.
Pros
Available access to funded study. Physical fitness being apart of everyday life.
Cons
Changing leadership requiring continual adaptation.
Productive and forfilling workplace
Military Policeman (Current Employee) –  Ohakea4 July 2016
- A typical day at work can include a wide variety of different tasking s with not one thing being the same.
- How to deal with many different situations, people and cultures.
- I have been a self manager the last year but have found that people are placed into the Management roles to early.
- Co worker have been great.
- Time away from home. I have spent on average 30 weeks a year away from home.
- Traveling the world and the wide variety of different work.
Pros
Great Team Environment
Cons
Always on duty
Geospatial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland29 May 2016
Professional and Productive but improvement still requires in many areas such as training etc. Working for Geospatial Intelligence Organisation provides significant challenge in term of professionalism and skills to become effectively on performing your tasks.
Pros
productive
Cons
require further improvement
Army Fire rescue
Qualified Fire Fighter (Current Employee) –  Waiouru13 May 2016
Getting a callout at 3am, a vehicle crash roll over, trapped pers stuck inside vehicle, we are a 4 man team each with a specific role, adrenaline rushing. recover the trapped pers using the jaws of life, safety first, saving lives second, job done go back to station for a brew.
Pros
Free Medical and Dental and kit
Cons
cant save everyone.
great people, great focus, great experiences and opportunities military culture, lack of direction, good pay and benefits. Good place to work
Finance Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Wellington13 April 2016
Productive work environment excellent leadership
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington3 April 2016
Great teamwork eager to improve their processes. Leadership Management supported me in setting up the Lean Six Sigma program.
Pros
Working environment at the corporate office and the military bases
Cons
followup of implementation solutions
Exciting, great career development.
Commissioned Officer NZ Army (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui13 March 2016
A typical day is hard to describe as a member of the New Zealand Defence Force.

As an Army Officer you will be required to pass a rigorous recruiting process as well as a year of intense physical and mental training in order to prepare you for the challenges you will face serving your country.

The variety of roles and areas that you can specialise in are a great positive for working in the Army, the skills you learn and friends you make wills stay with you forever. You will learn everything from how to fire a pistol to how to correctly fill out a form requesting food for your soldiers during training, both of these skills and everything in between are vitally important.

Management varies as with every job however, I do believe due to the intense selection and training processes prior to qualifying the overall standard is good. A good manager in the Army not only cares about how you do at work, but also that you are mentally and physically at peek performance, they will always have a hand out to help and advice to give to a young soldier, I believe the support networks that the NZ army will provide you is second to none.

The hardest part of the job for me was the long hours that you will need to dedicate to your service. Expect to work for periods of up to 6 months or longer with no weekends and expect it to be hard work.

This inversely is also the best part of the job, when you deploy to give a helping hand to other nations in hardship you know that your skills are being used in the service of your country, to help others and that is something to be immensely
  more... proud of.

Of note: Don't let the physical requirements put you off! download the Force Fit app and get training.
Pros
Trips overseas, great support networks, career progression
amazing career pathway
recruit/gunner (Former Employee) –  Waiouru Military Camp, Wellington2 February 2016
I enjoyed my time in the nz defence but due to medical problems I was MD715 until my condition allows me to go back , I recommend this career to anyone looking for a job/ career which is diverse no days are the same which is what I loved learning new skills everyday instead of civi employers who expect you to do the same thing everyday you show up to work , definitely going back its true what the say the army is the best career path out there , get what it takes and do it
working as a team to get the job done
Administration Assistant/ Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Wanganui, N1 August 2015
processing all reports needed. keeping all accounts correct. maintaining staff in confidence. Making sure all pers are trained for their future
Pros
stress
Cons
helping people
The people I work with are professional and social.
Senior Accounts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Trentham, Upper Hutt10 March 2015
Role is challenging I like that as it helps me when I learn new tasks. Immediate manager is very supportive.
Co-workers are helpful and supportive.
Hardest part of the job is when files are delayed for processing.
Enjoyable because as a team we all pull together to achieve our deadlines/tasks.
Pros
Discounted suppliers nation wide
Cons
very little resources (man-power)