New Zealand Defence Force
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Defence Force Employee Reviews

New Zealand31 reviews
I was employed as an armament technician for 6 and a half years. Over the time, I learnt many new skills and made some excellent friends that have endured to this day. I picked up many engineering skills through working on aircraft and firearms, the likes of which would not be easily picked up outside of the military.
Miliatry culture didn't understand role of civilian staff well at all

Not a good experience

Wasn't a long term option for myself. Peased to leave this culture
Great place to work, fun culture, great faciiities to use on base, encourage the work life balance culture. Good events held for staff throughout the year.
Pros
lots!
The best place ever to work .relaxed and we'll supportive people always inspired to do more. Careing for the Navy's assets.is more than a job.its a passion.doing ship to shore is amazing.and exciting.to see such amazing vessels and the professional crews that man the ships..
I spent 29 years with the New Zealand Defence Force (Army) and was exposed to a wide variety of opportunities and challenges. I would recommend service of any kind to anyone looking for a good start to life and career.
Great place to work. Brilliant colleagues I worked for.
Excellent place for benefits.

Will work there again.

Outstanding

Friendly environment

After five amazing years as a cornet player for the NZDF, I hve gained so much experience in performance, self development, management and self discipline. Over the five years, I was fortunate enough to perform at events such the Royal Edinburgh tattoo, the changing of the guards at Buckingham palace and the queens diamond jubilee in Windsor. I truly believe that by experiencing these wonderful events and being a key part of these performances, they played a huge role in giving me the knowledge to be where I am today, performing as the principle cornet of the world famous Brighouse and Rastrick band in the UK.
Pros
performance opportunities and a fantastic team.
A structured, regimental life that sets you up for success within its current structure. As a school leaver it did me well to establish routine, discipline, and structure. In my latter years it also taught me well in how to communicate with non-military individuals and organisations in the varied environments people will find military organisations in.
Pros
Health, motivation, direct answers, real life examples, courage, integrity, .
Cons
If you're in too long, you can become institutionalised.
The company were excellent to work for, the projects were complex laser and electronic data communication products. These required bespoke mechanical housings that were pressure sealed to Military Standards
Pros
Innovative ideas were encouraged on difficult Military specifications
Cons
Hours could be long
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New Zealand Defence Force?
An excellent career to build soft and hard skills, really enjoy working alongside like minded people who contribute to protecting New Zealand Trade, EEZ and Shores.
The New Zealand Defence Force is a proud, strong and well balanced organisation. The NZDF supports all personnel (and their families) in service with a whole range of support networks as well as others.

As per the rating chart above, 5 stars overall.
Pros
Free dental, medical and life insurance. Fitness.
NZDF is a mature commercial entity, with a vast and varied range of supplier requirements. There is almost nothing we don't purchase and every day is different. NZDF has some real and somethings intensive requirements, that result from real life situations (Kaikoura earthquake).
Pros
Culture, variation, range of tasks
Cons
bureaucratic processes
Currently looking for a job that will have job progression and the opportunity to educate, every job I've ever worked at has been great environment but can only go so far.
Pros
Good team members, great job
Cons
no job progression, long hours
Really hard work. hardcore p.t sessions. but gained a lot of trust in people, learnt a lot of skills like team work and communication skills. hardest part of the job was just the timing. mins to shower stuff like that.
seeing patients everyday from 0800 to 1500. Learned a lot things for example about personal Hygiene. How to communicate with people and how to work under pressure.
Constant travel throughout country working at various different sites, ability to work alone or in a team, accomodation paid for in various locations.
Pros
Travel and accommodation paid for
Learnt a lot while I was in the defence force, made heaps of good friends.
Hardest part o te job was leaving family behind when I was on exercise.

Management was really great and always helpful.
I make my own day and there is always time for physical activity/fitness to improve the body and mind.

Free doctor and dental are huge benefits I'm not sure every soldier really appreciates.
Pros
Available access to funded study. Physical fitness being apart of everyday life.
Cons
Changing leadership requiring continual adaptation.
- A typical day at work can include a wide variety of different tasking s with not one thing being the same.
- How to deal with many different situations, people and cultures.

- I have been a self manager the last year but have found that people are placed into the Management roles to early.

- Co worker have been great.

- Time away from home. I have spent on average 30 weeks a year away from home.

- Traveling the world and the wide variety of different work.
Pros
Great Team Environment
Cons
Always on duty
Professional and Productive but improvement still requires in many areas such as training etc. Working for Geospatial Intelligence Organisation provides significant challenge in term of professionalism and skills to become effectively on performing your tasks.
Pros
productive
Cons
require further improvement
Getting a callout at 3am, a vehicle crash roll over, trapped pers stuck inside vehicle, we are a 4 man team each with a specific role, adrenaline rushing. recover the trapped pers using the jaws of life, safety first, saving lives second, job done go back to station for a brew.
Pros
Free Medical and Dental and kit
Cons
cant save everyone.