New Zealand Defence Force Management reviews

Good cumpony
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Linton Manawatu New Zealand29 January 2017
Learnt a lot while I was in the defence force, made heaps of good friends.
Hardest part o te job was leaving family behind when I was on exercise.
Management was really great and always helpful.
Productive and forfilling workplace
Military Policeman (Current Employee) –  Ohakea4 July 2016
- A typical day at work can include a wide variety of different tasking s with not one thing being the same.
- How to deal with many different situations, people and cultures.
- I have been a self manager the last year but have found that people are placed into the Management roles to early.
- Co worker have been great.
- Time away from home. I have spent on average 30 weeks a year away from home.
- Traveling the world and the wide variety of different work.
Pros
Great Team Environment
Cons
Always on duty
Productive work environment excellent leadership
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington3 April 2016
Great teamwork eager to improve their processes. Leadership Management supported me in setting up the Lean Six Sigma program.
Pros
Working environment at the corporate office and the military bases
Cons
followup of implementation solutions
Exciting, great career development.
Commissioned Officer NZ Army (Former Employee) –  Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui13 March 2016
A typical day is hard to describe as a member of the New Zealand Defence Force.

As an Army Officer you will be required to pass a rigorous recruiting process as well as a year of intense physical and mental training in order to prepare you for the challenges you will face serving your country.

The variety of roles and areas that you can specialise in are a great positive for working in the Army, the skills you learn and friends you make wills stay with you forever. You will learn everything from how to fire a pistol to how to correctly fill out a form requesting food for your soldiers during training, both of these skills and everything in between are vitally important.

Management varies as with every job however, I do believe due to the intense selection and training processes prior to qualifying the overall standard is good. A good manager in the Army not only cares about how you do at work, but also that you are mentally and physically at peek performance, they will always have a hand out to help and advice to give to a young soldier, I believe the support networks that the NZ army will provide you is second to none.

The hardest part of the job for me was the long hours that you will need to dedicate to your service. Expect to work for periods of up to 6 months or longer with no weekends and expect it to be hard work.

This inversely is also the best part of the job, when you deploy to give a helping hand to other nations in hardship you know that your skills are being used in the service of your country, to help others and that is something to be immensely
  more... proud of.

Of note: Don't let the physical requirements put you off! download the Force Fit app and get training.
Pros
Trips overseas, great support networks, career progression
Cons
Strict, fair and challenging workplace.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Burnham Military Camp,Christchurch12 June 2013
I worked shift hours at the Sergeants and Warrant Officers Mess at Burnham Military Camp. Usually start at 5.00am and work through too 2.00pm or start at 10.30am through too 7.00pm with Physical Training before hand.

On the morning shift I would prepare ingredients and meals for breakfast and lunch (which were made to order) and dinner for the late shift as well as smokos and afternoon teas for VIPs.

I learned how to handle and prepare food to a high standard and to high hygiene and safety protocol.

My Management was strict but fair as it was the Army chain of command and rank system.

My co-workers were of my rank and working as a team is a huge part of the Defence Force.

The hardest part of my job was the long hours and a good deal of time being away from family and friends if we were deployed into the bush or other parts of the country.

The most enjoyable part of my job was a sense of family within the New Zealand Army and the challenges that we were given in our jobs were not what the everyday person would face.
Pros
Free medical dental and close friendships formed
Cons
Long hours, time away from family.
Demanding, Challenging, Enjoyable, Great team to be involved with. Changing due to Defences fiscal decisions.
Operation Branch Clerk (Former Employee) –  Linton Military Camp, New Zealand21 June 2012
7.30 start, 4.30-5.00 finish.
Day started with setting up any Video telephone conferences as required. Email check for reports and returns to collate.
Check on facilities booking for various activities ( Administrator for Range shoots, Military Justice Courses, Secure and non secure conferences.)
Train the trainer role advisory to sub unit clerks/trainers for reports and returns submissions.
Drafting signal approval responses for sub unit training activities.
Co-workers were great and we all were constantly short staffed due to nature of military commitments. Management was good and very knowledgable and helpful when required. The hardest part of the job would have to be the adapting to last minute changes without having adequate resoures to be completed to the same standard. Most enjoyable would have to be the practical aspects where I was involved with setting up training, or driving duties.
Pros
used to be a secure job, great poeple to work with, great variety of rolls to perform.
Cons
can't think of any - i was treaded well.