New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

New Zealand49 reviews
I worked in the public safety/justice sectors here and overseas for over 20 years so I know what I'm talking about. Probation in NZ is primarily adminstrative social work and is easy if you are not in a service centre with an large case load. At times.the work is slow. Probation Officers are expected to do social work and offender compliance which leads to role confusion. Courts will usually sentence offenders who breach community sentences to more community sentences or short terms of imprisonment because prisons are full. Offender behaviour varies little and consists of inablity to think beyond today and high self entitlement, similar to adolescent behaviour. This behaviour is reinforced by MSD, Corrections and the Courts and leads to learned helplessness. Offenders can be unpleasant to deal with but are manageable as their behaviour is consistent. Some do turn their life around but this is not due to Corrections, it is because they decide to stop offending. What is not manageable is the management. They can be negative, especially when you point out their lack of competence. Most managers are shoulder tapped and don't know how to lead or manage. The Department encourages management bullying and there will be negative consequences for staff who report this. Central office comes up with plans to manage offenders but they usually fail. An example is "reduce re offending by 25% by 2017." This didn't happen. Staff are usually good to work with although since there is no pre employment requirement or substantial entry standards for Probation Officer (university degree not required, - more...
Pros
Work hours, flexiblity of work
Cons
management, role conflict, offenders
There were positive and negatives. What ruined it for me was horrible shift patterns, No work life balance and zero flexibility from middle management who seemed to ‘look after their own’ or pandered to the squeaky wheel whilst ignoring and not really developing the more reserved / solid workers.
Pros
Worthwhile and interesting job
Cons
Sold a lot of dreams during recruitment
I had a very enjoyable experience at this organisation. Wide exposure to people of all walks of life. As your career progresses, you are dealing with some very serious ex-offenders.
Pros
Great career advancement
Cons
Deal with more serious offenders can be very challenging.
Busy with requests and projects Learnt to manage people and form good relationships . Communication is a key factor when dealing with management and when dealing with trainees. Culture comes in many forms, people, age and health . Each department within a company will display a difference in there daily working culture and still meet the operational goals and requirements, yet everyone enjoys their day. Bringing correction. But as my communication and knowledge has developed so have my interpersonal skills. Seeing people achieve their goals was very rewarding .
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Lack of clear commication
Every day was different. Always had to be on your toes and aware of your surroundings. I was always a team player and was prepared to multi-task when required. Had to be prepared to respond to emergency's and incidents when necessary. At times, I was required to act up in a SCO position(Senior Corrections Officer), which I achieved successfully.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Shift work
The Department of Corrections, in summary, main Mission statement is to Reduce re offending and maintain Public safety, I take pride in my work and maintain a high standard of professionalism and integrity. I believe that a team can achieve more than an individual. I am in a middle management role and utilize the best attributes of the people that work for me to achieve and maximize the best possible goals/outcome.
Pros
Staff unity / Camaraderie, Job security, Remuneration, leave entitlements and Job satisfaction.
Cons
Hours of work, and job complacency
Always able to support and encourage staff while offering a safe and team oriented environment. A diverse work place with good structure and leadership...
Dept of Correction in Hamilton had an outstanding whanau feel and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the probation centre. I took away life long friendships and excellent skills I can carry with me throughout my career in administration, as well as skill that helped me grow personally. Management were great and the majority that I worked along side with were extremely helpful in the way they guided me through my time with Corrections. I was extremely sad to have to leave as I felt very at home with the people I was privileged to work along side. The hardest part of the job was learning to disconnect from the crimes the offenders I spoke to on a daily basis had committed, but the probation officers I worked closely with taught me how to which I will always be grateful for. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the different people I got to work with and finding hidden skills within myself I had no idea I even had, like how I was so easily able to deescalate negative people and situations before they had gotten too far.
Pros
Friendships I gained
Cons
Threatening and rude offenders
Different staff abilities and opinions makes work life a little bit of a struggle. Training and helping prisoners learn new skills and gain knowledge was rewarding when they achieved what was taught. Also gaining more knowledge and qualifications was very helpful to me.
Pros
Rostered 5 days on 3 days off
Cons
Prisoners, different staff personalities
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New Zealand Department of Corrections?
Days were pretty routine given the job. Depending on were in the facility you worked, your day could be moderately busy to extremely frustrating and dangerous. I learned fast that experience counts for a lot and size doesn't always matter, that rules are in place to keep people safe and asking for help is important when you need it. Management was different depending on who you worked under. My manager was very supportive and happy to back his staff when needed and support them moving forward if they were helping themselves. Most staff members became close friends but whether close friends or not everybody was there for you when needed. Staff would always have your safety and well-being in mind. The hardest part of the job was working with constant staff shortages. This caused problems for staff and prisoners, and most problems for prisoners became problems for staff, but this is where experience, management support and team culture would hopefully front up. Helping those that want to be helped and who want to change. Everybody deserves a chance, it's just very important not to become complacent, seeing your work mates happy and safe and enjoying their job.
Pros
Training at work during lunch breaks, being part of a close knit team.
Cons
Riots, staff assaults and staff shortages.
Very fulfilling and training was always provided. I gained a lot of experience in dealing with spontaneous situations and I loved working with people from different walks of life.
Pros
Ongoing training
Cons
Long rostered shifts
Was a busy position, that had it's ups and downs. Workspace needed updating and problems with older wiring etc. But the people were great. Management was good to work with and supportive.
Unlock, feed, get off to their work and courses, feed, lock up. Shift work 6-2, 2-10, or night shift on rotating roster. Commute is 60km each way, which takes around 40 minutes.
Pros
secure job
Cons
Lots of cons....we keep them locked up.
I owned the contracting business that maintained the gardens and lawns at the newly built facility until the inmates could take over the maintenance themselves.
Pros
Working out doors
Cons
Long hours on a weedeater
I enjoyed everyday working at Department, I learned s much from my co-workers who have been there for 10 plus years. I enjoyed making a difference to those who were behind bars and shut out off the society. I was happy to give productive advice that enabled them to rehabilitate themselves for the better.
Pros
Making a difference is someones life daily.
Cons
None that i ca think of at this time.
During my time at Corrections, it was going through a restructure. The current culture was unsure of what was going to be the outcome of the ordeal. My manager was a stable rock in the whole event and was primarily focused on the work and its people. He is a true manager.
Pros
Amazing manger
Cons
Restructure
Interesting environment with a real sense of making a difference in the community. No two days are the same. A diverse role, supporting Probation Officers and Service Managers to manage offenders sentences. Varied role including reception duties, court run, making up breaches and other administrative duties. Supporting the Home Detention Team, Community Work Team and being a site resource for North Shore Community Corrections as a whole. Pleasant work culture with frequent gatherings, shared lunches.
Pros
Working in a team environment.
Cons
High pressure requiring resilience and composure.
A typical day at work would require focus, short term and long term goals and advancement. The aim would be to achieve the companies overall philosophy.
Pros
Work standards
Cons
Low work standards
Good atmosphere Awesome boss and co-workers learnt good work skills team work stock taking time management well there got good daily skills in working under pressure
Pros
Good hrs good boss
While I usually embrace change too much happening and not enough consultation with staff and industries managers. After health issues I retired from here, but am fine now and more than happy to return to the workforce - preferably in CHB.
Pros
Great workmates and staff in general
Cons
Too much travel time for me
Really enjoyed working here. People were great and very supportive. Met a lot of local people. Made some good friends. Left to start own business.
Pros
Great job Good People
Cons
Not much money