New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Review

Challenging and Rewarding

8 February 2018
The Department of Corrections, in summary, main Mission statement is to Reduce re offending and maintain Public safety, I take pride in my work and maintain a high standard of professionalism and integrity. I believe that a team can achieve more than an individual. I am in a middle management role and utilize the best attributes of the people that work for me to achieve and maximize the best possible goals/outcome.
Pros
Staff unity / Camaraderie, Job security, Remuneration, leave entitlements and Job satisfaction.
Cons
Hours of work, and job complacency
17 June 2020
Same role
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) - Hamilton, Waikato
There were positive and negatives. What ruined it for me was horrible shift patterns, No work life balance and zero flexibility from middle management who seemed to ‘look after their own’ or pandered to the squeaky wheel whilst ignoring and not really developing the more reserved / solid workers.
Pros
Worthwhile and interesting job
Cons
Sold a lot of dreams during recruitment
9 February 2018
Same role
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) - Manawatu District, Manawatu-Wanganui
Every day was different. Always had to be on your toes and aware of your surroundings. I was always a team player and was prepared to multi-task when required. Had to be prepared to respond to emergency's and incidents when necessary. At times, I was required to act up in a SCO position(Senior Corrections Officer), which I achieved successfully.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Shift work
15 January 2019
Same location
Probation Officer (Former Employee) - Auckland
I had a very enjoyable experience at this organisation. Wide exposure to people of all walks of life. As your career progresses, you are dealing with some very serious ex-offenders.
Pros
Great career advancement
Cons
Deal with more serious offenders can be very challenging.