New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Review

Exciting and challenging, never the same.

9 November 2015
Secure employment
Great working environment - team support

Supportive management - service manager

Good office condition

Challenging clients but support network fits in.
Pros
secure, stable and ongoing training with promotion and progression in role
Cons
challenging clients and high demand performance.
15 April 2019
Same role
Probation Officer (Current Employee) - Various location
I worked in the public safety/justice sectors here and overseas for over 20 years so I know what I'm talking about. Probation in NZ is primarily adminstrative social work and is easy if you are not in a service centre with an large case load. At times.the work is slow.
Probation Officers are expected to do social work and offender compliance which leads to role confusion. Courts will usually sentence offenders who breach community sentences to more community sentences or short terms of imprisonment because prisons are full. Offender behaviour varies little and consists of inablity to think beyond today and high self entitlement, similar to adolescent behaviour. This behaviour is reinforced by MSD, Corrections and the Courts and leads to learned helplessness.

Offenders can be unpleasant to deal with but are manageable as their behaviour is consistent. Some do turn their life around but this is not due to Corrections, it is because they decide to stop offending.

What is not manageable is the management. They can be negative, especially when you point out their lack of competence. Most managers are shoulder tapped and don't know how to lead or manage. The Department encourages management bullying and there will be negative consequences for staff who report this. Central office comes up with plans to manage offenders but they usually fail. An example is "reduce re offending by 25% by 2017." This didn't happen. Staff are usually good to work with although since there is no pre employment requirement or substantial entry standards for Probation Officer (university degree not required,
 - more...
Pros
Work hours, flexiblity of work
Cons
management, role conflict, offenders
15 January 2019
Same role
Probation Officer (Former Employee) - Auckland
I had a very enjoyable experience at this organisation. Wide exposure to people of all walks of life. As your career progresses, you are dealing with some very serious ex-offenders.
Pros
Great career advancement
Cons
Deal with more serious offenders can be very challenging.
7 January 2014
Same location
Senior Corrections Officer (Former Employee) - Manukau, Auckland New Zealand
I would like to be part of team who have the same passion and objectives. I have learned about the team effort is more successful than the individual effort. I have always treat my team with respect and integrity. The hardest part of the job when the team have no passion about the job. Clear and concise communication within the team is the most enjoyable part of the job because everyone have the same knowledge about the job.
Pros
job security
Cons
inconsistency
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Zealand Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.