New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Review

Good team spirit, gym facilities were good and refresher training was also good.

8 October 2017
Days were pretty routine given the job. Depending on were in the facility you worked, your day could be moderately busy to extremely frustrating and dangerous.
I learned fast that experience counts for a lot and size doesn't always matter, that rules are in place to keep people safe and asking for help is important when you need it.

Management was different depending on who you worked under. My manager was very supportive and happy to back his staff when needed and support them moving forward if they were helping themselves.

Most staff members became close friends but whether close friends or not everybody was there for you when needed. Staff would always have your safety and well-being in mind.

The hardest part of the job was working with constant staff shortages. This caused problems for staff and prisoners, and most problems for prisoners became problems for staff, but this is where experience, management support and team culture would hopefully front up.

Helping those that want to be helped and who want to change. Everybody deserves a chance, it's just very important not to become complacent, seeing your work mates happy and safe and enjoying their job.
Pros
Training at work during lunch breaks, being part of a close knit team.
Cons
Riots, staff assaults and staff shortages.
17 June 2020
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) - Hamilton, Waikato
There were positive and negatives. What ruined it for me was horrible shift patterns, No work life balance and zero flexibility from middle management who seemed to ‘look after their own’ or pandered to the squeaky wheel whilst ignoring and not really developing the more reserved / solid workers.
Pros
Worthwhile and interesting job
Cons
Sold a lot of dreams during recruitment
9 February 2018
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) - Manawatu District, Manawatu-Wanganui
Every day was different. Always had to be on your toes and aware of your surroundings. I was always a team player and was prepared to multi-task when required. Had to be prepared to respond to emergency's and incidents when necessary. At times, I was required to act up in a SCO position(Senior Corrections Officer), which I achieved successfully.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Shift work
8 February 2018
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) - Auckland City, Auckland
The Department of Corrections, in summary, main Mission statement is to Reduce re offending and maintain Public safety, I take pride in my work and maintain a high standard of professionalism and integrity. I believe that a team can achieve more than an individual. I am in a middle management role and utilize the best attributes of the people that work for me to achieve and maximize the best possible goals/outcome.
Pros
Staff unity / Camaraderie, Job security, Remuneration, leave entitlements and Job satisfaction.
Cons
Hours of work, and job complacency