New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Review

This is a culturally different environment

18 May 2017
During my time at Corrections, it was going through a restructure. The current culture was unsure of what was going to be the outcome of the ordeal.

My manager was a stable rock in the whole event and was primarily focused on the work and its people. He is a true manager.
Pros
Amazing manger
Cons
Restructure
10 August 2018
Busy with requests and projects
Learnt to manage people and form good relationships . Communication is a key factor when dealing with management and when dealing with trainees.

Culture comes in many forms, people, age and health . Each department within a company will display a difference in there daily working culture and still meet the operational goals and requirements, yet everyone enjoys their day.

Bringing correction. But as my communication and knowledge has developed so have my interpersonal skills.

Seeing people achieve their goals was very rewarding .
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Lack of clear commication
17 June 2017
I enjoyed everyday working at Department, I learned s much from my co-workers who have been there for 10 plus years. I enjoyed making a difference to those who were behind bars and shut out off the society. I was happy to give productive advice that enabled them to rehabilitate themselves for the better.
Pros
Making a difference is someones life daily.
Cons
None that i ca think of at this time.
17 June 2020
There were positive and negatives. What ruined it for me was horrible shift patterns, No work life balance and zero flexibility from middle management who seemed to ‘look after their own’ or pandered to the squeaky wheel whilst ignoring and not really developing the more reserved / solid workers.
Pros
Worthwhile and interesting job
Cons
Sold a lot of dreams during recruitment
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Zealand Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.