New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Reviews for Correctional Officer

Correctional Officer13 reviews
New Zealand13 reviews
My day
Every day was different. Always had to be on your toes and aware of your surroundings. I was always a team player and was prepared to multi-task when required. Had to be prepared to respond to emergency's and incidents when necessary. At times, I was required to act up in a SCO position(Senior Corrections Officer), which I achieved successfully.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Shift work
Challenging and Rewarding
The Department of Corrections, in summary, main Mission statement is to Reduce re offending and maintain Public safety, I take pride in my work and maintain a high standard of professionalism and integrity. I believe that a team can achieve more than an individual. I am in a middle management role and utilize the best attributes of the people that work for me to achieve and maximize the best possible goals/outcome.
Pros
Staff unity / Camaraderie, Job security, Remuneration, leave entitlements and Job satisfaction.
Cons
Hours of work, and job complacency
Excellent Employers
Always able to support and encourage staff while offering a safe and team oriented environment.

A diverse work place with good structure and leadership...
Good team spirit, gym facilities were good and refresher training was also good.
Days were pretty routine given the job. Depending on were in the facility you worked, your day could be moderately busy to extremely frustrating and dangerous.
I learned fast that experience counts for a lot and size doesn't always matter, that rules are in place to keep people safe and asking for help is important when you need it.

Management was different depending on who you worked under. My manager was very supportive and happy to back his staff when needed and support them moving forward if they were helping themselves.

Most staff members became close friends but whether close friends or not everybody was there for you when needed. Staff would always have your safety and well-being in mind.

The hardest part of the job was working with constant staff shortages. This caused problems for staff and prisoners, and most problems for prisoners became problems for staff, but this is where experience, management support and team culture would hopefully front up.

Helping those that want to be helped and who want to change. Everybody deserves a chance, it's just very important not to become complacent, seeing your work mates happy and safe and enjoying their job.
Pros
Training at work during lunch breaks, being part of a close knit team.
Cons
Riots, staff assaults and staff shortages.
Training provided always
Very fulfilling and training was always provided. I gained a lot of experience in dealing with spontaneous situations and I loved working with people from different walks of life.
Pros
Ongoing training
Cons
Long rostered shifts
Locking up Criminals
Unlock, feed, get off to their work and courses, feed, lock up.
Shift work 6-2, 2-10, or night shift on rotating roster. Commute is 60km each way, which takes around 40 minutes.
Pros
secure job
Cons
Lots of cons....we keep them locked up.
lousy place to work
I do not have anything good to say about corrections, except the pay. Some workers were good but very few a great many were backstabbing career builders who did nothing to help but cause problems for staff who dared to question directions that were needed to improve working there. Overall I would warn people to stay away from there
Pros
pay
Cons
too much to put in here
working for my family
offend management in daily ,
learning everyday,

good relationship with my co-workers,

the hardest part of the job is handling with non-compliance prisoner.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New Zealand Department of Corrections?
Overall - Balanced Career
You can learn so much and gain more from becoming a Corrections Officer as it is a extremely rewarding career.
Pros
Good support from your team
Cons
The company has improved it training, Good salary, Job security is good with advancement prospects. The culture can be negative.
The job is not for everyone and can be very challenging. It is a job which has a lot of routine so can be monotinous at times, but also busy with moving prisoners about to classes, courts, other escorts such as medical, transfers etc. Perfoming searches, dealing with difficult situations. The management I wont comment on as I basically am not supposed to. But the people you meet in corrections make the difference, I have some fond memories of real characters that have come and gone over the years. I suppose the most difficult part of the job is dealing with phsycologically impaired individuals, mostly because you cant get through to them most of the time. And also the roster basically sucks.
Pros
Good wages, 6 weeks annual leave, meet good people, learn a lot about yourself.
Cons
The roster, stress, uncoopeative people, negative enviroment.
High Standard
We Officer's operated in a very high standard and professional manner as both company expected his worker's to be
I have good day's and not so good but I enjoyed most day because meeting new people and challenge is all part of the Corrections Officer duties.

I enjoyed interact with prisoner's and help them with whatever their needs.

I played a lots of table tennis with them and its good way to built a relationship with them

I have very a good working relationship with my work mate's. They are very important to me, someone that I can talk to when thing's are not running so well at home or work.
Pros
money
Cons
not much
Review
The Prison service can be a hard job from time to time mainly the shifts and Prisoners we work with on a daily basis I learned alot about myself in the job and meet some great friends (co-workers). The best part of the job was seeing Prisoners moving forward in a possitive manor and doing well back in the community.
Pros
meeting people, and over time
Cons
10 day straights were hard at times
Active Management, Challenging, Rewarding
Actively Managing Prisoner's, providing necessary needs to each prisoner. Learned policies, procedures, and treaty of waitangi.
Managing time effectively and efficiently.

Professional, pride and team work with co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was the return of prisoner's whom have been actively managed and continually keep coming back to prison.

The most enjoyable is having the comradeship with co-workers and the very few prisoner's maintaining a offense free lifestyle.
Pros
comradeship
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Zealand Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.