New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Department of Corrections Management reviews

New Zealand49 reviews
I worked in the public safety/justice sectors here and overseas for over 20 years so I know what I'm talking about. Probation in NZ is primarily adminstrative social work and is easy if you are not in a service centre with an large case load. At times.the work is slow.
Probation Officers are expected to do social work and offender compliance which leads to role confusion. Courts will usually sentence offenders who breach community sentences to more community sentences or short terms of imprisonment because prisons are full. Offender behaviour varies little and consists of inablity to think beyond today and high self entitlement, similar to adolescent behaviour. This behaviour is reinforced by MSD, Corrections and the Courts and leads to learned helplessness.

Offenders can be unpleasant to deal with but are manageable as their behaviour is consistent. Some do turn their life around but this is not due to Corrections, it is because they decide to stop offending.

What is not manageable is the management. They can be negative, especially when you point out their lack of competence. Most managers are shoulder tapped and don't know how to lead or manage. The Department encourages management bullying and there will be negative consequences for staff who report this. Central office comes up with plans to manage offenders but they usually fail. An example is "reduce re offending by 25% by 2017." This didn't happen. Staff are usually good to work with although since there is no pre employment requirement or substantial entry standards for Probation Officer (university degree not required,
 - more...
Pros
Work hours, flexiblity of work
Cons
management, role conflict, offenders
There were positive and negatives. What ruined it for me was horrible shift patterns, No work life balance and zero flexibility from middle management who seemed to ‘look after their own’ or pandered to the squeaky wheel whilst ignoring and not really developing the more reserved / solid workers.
Pros
Worthwhile and interesting job
Cons
Sold a lot of dreams during recruitment
Busy with requests and projects
Learnt to manage people and form good relationships .
Communication is a key factor when dealing with management and when dealing with trainees.
Culture comes in many forms, people, age and health . Each department within a company will display a difference in there daily working culture and still meet the operational goals and requirements, yet everyone enjoys their day.

Bringing correction. But as my communication and knowledge has developed so have my interpersonal skills.

Seeing people achieve their goals was very rewarding .
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Lack of clear commication
The Department of Corrections, in summary, main Mission statement is to Reduce re offending and maintain Public safety, I take pride in my work and maintain a high standard of professionalism and integrity. I believe that a team can achieve more than an individual. I am in a middle management role and utilize the best attributes of the people that work for me to achieve and maximize the best possible goals/outcome.
Pros
Staff unity / Camaraderie, Job security, Remuneration, leave entitlements and Job satisfaction.
Cons
Hours of work, and job complacency
Dept of Correction in Hamilton had an outstanding whanau feel and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the probation centre. I took away life long friendships and excellent skills I can carry with me throughout my career in administration, as well as skill that helped me grow personally.
Management were great and the majority that I worked along side with were extremely helpful in the way they guided me through my time with Corrections.
I was extremely sad to have to leave as I felt very at home with the people I was privileged to work along side.

The hardest part of the job was learning to disconnect from the crimes the offenders I spoke to on a daily basis had committed, but the probation officers I worked closely with taught me how to which I will always be grateful for.

The most enjoyable part of the job was all the different people I got to work with and finding hidden skills within myself I had no idea I even had, like how I was so easily able to deescalate negative people and situations before they had gotten too far.
Pros
Friendships I gained
Cons
Threatening and rude offenders
Days were pretty routine given the job. Depending on were in the facility you worked, your day could be moderately busy to extremely frustrating and dangerous.
I learned fast that experience counts for a lot and size doesn't always matter, that rules are in place to keep people safe and asking for help is important when you need it.

Management was different depending on who you worked under. My manager was very supportive and happy to back his staff when needed and support them moving forward if they were helping themselves.
Most staff members became close friends but whether close friends or not everybody was there for you when needed. Staff would always have your safety and well-being in mind.

The hardest part of the job was working with constant staff shortages. This caused problems for staff and prisoners, and most problems for prisoners became problems for staff, but this is where experience, management support and team culture would hopefully front up.

Helping those that want to be helped and who want to change. Everybody deserves a chance, it's just very important not to become complacent, seeing your work mates happy and safe and enjoying their job.
Pros
Training at work during lunch breaks, being part of a close knit team.
Cons
Riots, staff assaults and staff shortages.
Was a busy position, that had it's ups and downs. Workspace needed updating and problems with older wiring etc. But the people were great. Management was good to work with and supportive.
During my time at Corrections, it was going through a restructure. The current culture was unsure of what was going to be the outcome of the ordeal.

My manager was a stable rock in the whole event and was primarily focused on the work and its people. He is a true manager.
Pros
Amazing manger
Cons
Restructure
Good atmosphere Awesome boss and co-workers learnt good work skills team work stock taking time management well there got good daily skills in working under pressure
Pros
Good hrs good boss
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New Zealand Department of Corrections?
While I usually embrace change too much happening and not enough consultation with staff and industries managers. After health issues I retired from here, but am fine now and more than happy to return to the workforce - preferably in CHB.
Pros
Great workmates and staff in general
Cons
Too much travel time for me
Good management within the constraints they are set with, great people to work with and an overall family feel environment. Safety is paramount. Reasonable systems and office conditions, but dated. Salary package reasonable, but could be adjusted to a higher bracket considering the increased workload and extra responsibility in the last 12 months, or increase in part-time staffing to help cope with same.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
stress due to workload
Secure employment
Great working environment - team support

Supportive management - service manager
Good office condition
Challenging clients but support network fits in.
Pros
secure, stable and ongoing training with promotion and progression in role
Cons
challenging clients and high demand performance.
offend management in daily ,
learning everyday,
good relationship with my co-workers,

the hardest part of the job is handling with non-compliance prisoner.
My day at work normally started at 05:00am, a debrief with the shift Team Leader from the shift going off duty.

05:30am Briefing to staff ( Co workers )coming on duty covering incidents or need to knows from preceding shift.

A briefing of duties to be performed, personal responsibilities and any other tasks required to be actioned by staff about to start duty.

09:00am Daily meeting with management.

The hardest part of the job I found was maintaining staff and client safety in a work place where violence could flare up at any given moment.

The most enjoyable part of the job, having the knowledge that all staff were safe and had completed their duties to the best of their abilities prior to going off duty.

A typical day of a Team Leader in the Department Of Corrections.
Pros
The value ofTeamwork, regulations and having good systems in place
Cons
Working in a often violent environment.
The job is not for everyone and can be very challenging. It is a job which has a lot of routine so can be monotinous at times, but also busy with moving prisoners about to classes, courts, other escorts such as medical, transfers etc. Perfoming searches, dealing with difficult situations. The management I wont comment on as I basically am not supposed to. But the people you meet in corrections make the difference, I have some fond memories of real characters that have come and gone over the years. I suppose the most difficult part of the job is dealing with phsycologically impaired individuals, mostly because you cant get through to them most of the time. And also the roster basically sucks.
Pros
Good wages, 6 weeks annual leave, meet good people, learn a lot about yourself.
Cons
The roster, stress, uncoopeative people, negative enviroment.
Good pay but watch your back. Their is a culture of corrections can be quite daunting.

Co-workers were forever talking behind my back and at times i felt very isolated. What i noticed was it was not only me but each other as well. A very unhealthy environment.

Management were more concerned about public controversy than doing what was required.

If you think being part of corrections is about making a difference in the lives of those you work with then think again.

Sadly the majority of the staff gain great please talking about clients (offenders) and how they are idiots, losers etc.

Not a healthy work environment which plays lip service to making a positive change in peoples lives. It was more about processing the numbers and pushing them through.

Could be a much better place if only management had the motivation to implement trust, honesty & integrity amongst its employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
office politics