New Zealand Department of Corrections

New Zealand Department of Corrections Management reviews

Seeing people achieve .
Painting Instructor Rimutaka Prison (Current Employee) –  Wellington10 August 2018
Busy with requests and projects
Learnt to manage people and form good relationships . Communication is a key factor when dealing with management and when dealing with trainees.
Culture comes in many forms, people, age and health . Each department within a company will display a difference in there daily working culture and still meet the operational goals and requirements, yet everyone enjoys their day.
Bringing correction. But as my communication and knowledge has developed so have my interpersonal skills.
Seeing people achieve their goals was very rewarding .
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Lack of clear commication
Challenging and Rewarding
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland8 February 2018
The Department of Corrections, in summary, main Mission statement is to Reduce re offending and maintain Public safety, I take pride in my work and maintain a high standard of professionalism and integrity. I believe that a team can achieve more than an individual. I am in a middle management role and utilize the best attributes of the people that work for me to achieve and maximize the best possible goals/outcome.
Pros
Staff unity / Camaraderie, Job security, Remuneration, leave entitlements and Job satisfaction.
Cons
Hours of work, and job complacency
Excellent Team Environment
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato8 November 2017
Dept of Correction in Hamilton had an outstanding whanau feel and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the probation centre. I took away life long friendships and excellent skills I can carry with me throughout my career in administration, as well as skill that helped me grow personally.
Management were great and the majority that I worked along side with were extremely helpful in the way they guided me through my time with Corrections.
I was extremely sad to have to leave as I felt very at home with the people I was privileged to work along side.
The hardest part of the job was learning to disconnect from the crimes the offenders I spoke to on a daily basis had committed, but the probation officers I worked closely with taught me how to which I will always be grateful for.
The most enjoyable part of the job was all the different people I got to work with and finding hidden skills within myself I had no idea I even had, like how I was so easily able to deescalate negative people and situations before they had gotten too far.
Pros
Friendships I gained
Cons
Threatening and rude offenders
Good team spirit, gym facilities were good and refresher training was also good.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Hawke's Bay8 October 2017
Days were pretty routine given the job. Depending on were in the facility you worked, your day could be moderately busy to extremely frustrating and dangerous.
I learned fast that experience counts for a lot and size doesn't always matter, that rules are in place to keep people safe and asking for help is important when you need it.
Management was different depending on who you worked under. My manager was very supportive and happy to back his staff when needed and support them moving forward if they were helping themselves.
Most staff members became close friends but whether close friends or not everybody was there for you when needed. Staff would always have your safety and well-being in mind.
The hardest part of the job was working with constant staff shortages. This caused problems for staff and prisoners, and most problems for prisoners became problems for staff, but this is where experience, management support and team culture would hopefully front up.
Helping those that want to be helped and who want to change. Everybody deserves a chance, it's just very important not to become complacent, seeing your work mates happy and safe and enjoying their job.
Pros
Training at work during lunch breaks, being part of a close knit team.
Cons
Riots, staff assaults and staff shortages.
Whanau orientated workplace
Administration Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Auckland26 September 2017
Was a busy position, that had it's ups and downs. Workspace needed updating and problems with older wiring etc. But the people were great. Management was good to work with and supportive.
Worked in cutting room mainly 9-3 good atmosphere boss and co workers learned bout orders stock take
Sewing Worker (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury5 October 2016
Good atmosphere Awesome boss and co-workers learnt good work skills team work stock taking time management well there got good daily skills in working under pressure
Pros
Good hrs good boss
Fun place to work, but constraints with systems etc
Administration Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Albany, Auckland28 January 2016
Good management within the constraints they are set with, great people to work with and an overall family feel environment. Safety is paramount. Reasonable systems and office conditions, but dated. Salary package reasonable, but could be adjusted to a higher bracket considering the increased workload and extra responsibility in the last 12 months, or increase in part-time staffing to help cope with same.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
stress due to workload
Exciting and challenging, never the same.
Probation Officer Role & Functionalities (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, N9 November 2015
Secure employment
Great working environment - team support
Supportive management - service manager
Good office condition
Challenging clients but support network fits in.
Pros
secure, stable and ongoing training with promotion and progression in role
Cons
challenging clients and high demand performance.
working for my family
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  Auckland, N16 June 2015
offend management in daily ,
learning everyday,
good relationship with my co-workers,
the hardest part of the job is handling with non-compliance prisoner.
Military experience provided a good base for the Dept of Corrections
Senior Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Auckland Maximum Security Prison15 May 2015
My day at work normally started at 05:00am, a debrief with the shift Team Leader from the shift going off duty.

05:30am Briefing to staff ( Co workers )coming on duty covering incidents or need to knows from preceding shift.

A briefing of duties to be performed, personal responsibilities and any other tasks required to be actioned by staff about to start duty.

09:00am Daily meeting with management.

The hardest part of the job I found was maintaining staff and client safety in a work place where violence could flare up at any given moment.

The most enjoyable part of the job, having the knowledge that all staff were safe and had completed their duties to the best of their abilities prior to going off duty.

A typical day of a Team Leader in the Department Of Corrections.
Pros
The value ofTeamwork, regulations and having good systems in place
Cons
Working in a often violent environment.
The company has improved it training, Good salary, Job security is good with advancement prospects. The culture can be negative.
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Te Awamutu,25 July 2014
The job is not for everyone and can be very challenging. It is a job which has a lot of routine so can be monotinous at times, but also busy with moving prisoners about to classes, courts, other escorts such as medical, transfers etc. Perfoming searches, dealing with difficult situations. The management I wont comment on as I basically am not supposed to. But the people you meet in corrections make the difference, I have some fond memories of real characters that have come and gone over the years. I suppose the most difficult part of the job is dealing with phsycologically impaired individuals, mostly because you cant get through to them most of the time. And also the roster basically sucks.
Pros
Good wages, 6 weeks annual leave, meet good people, learn a lot about yourself.
Cons
The roster, stress, uncoopeative people, negative enviroment.
watch your back
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Dunedin22 July 2014
Good pay but watch your back. Their is a culture of corrections can be quite daunting.

Co-workers were forever talking behind my back and at times i felt very isolated. What i noticed was it was not only me but each other as well. A very unhealthy environment.

Management were more concerned about public controversy than doing what was required.

If you think being part of corrections is about making a difference in the lives of those you work with then think again.

Sadly the majority of the staff gain great please talking about clients (offenders) and how they are idiots, losers etc.

Not a healthy work environment which plays lip service to making a positive change in peoples lives. It was more about processing the numbers and pushing them through.

Could be a much better place if only management had the motivation to implement trust, honesty & integrity amongst its employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
office politics