New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Review

Review

8 August 2012
The Prison service can be a hard job from time to time mainly the shifts and Prisoners we work with on a daily basis I learned alot about myself in the job and meet some great friends (co-workers). The best part of the job was seeing Prisoners moving forward in a possitive manor and doing well back in the community.
Pros
meeting people, and over time
Cons
10 day straights were hard at times
17 June 2020
Same role
There were positive and negatives. What ruined it for me was horrible shift patterns, No work life balance and zero flexibility from middle management who seemed to ‘look after their own’ or pandered to the squeaky wheel whilst ignoring and not really developing the more reserved / solid workers.
Pros
Worthwhile and interesting job
Cons
Sold a lot of dreams during recruitment
9 February 2018
Same role
Every day was different. Always had to be on your toes and aware of your surroundings. I was always a team player and was prepared to multi-task when required. Had to be prepared to respond to emergency's and incidents when necessary. At times, I was required to act up in a SCO position(Senior Corrections Officer), which I achieved successfully.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Shift work
8 February 2018
The Department of Corrections, in summary, main Mission statement is to Reduce re offending and maintain Public safety, I take pride in my work and maintain a high standard of professionalism and integrity. I believe that a team can achieve more than an individual. I am in a middle management role and utilize the best attributes of the people that work for me to achieve and maximize the best possible goals/outcome.
Pros
Staff unity / Camaraderie, Job security, Remuneration, leave entitlements and Job satisfaction.
Cons
Hours of work, and job complacency
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Zealand Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.