New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Review

The company has improved it training, Good salary, Job security is good with advancement prospects. The culture can be negative.

25 July 2014
The job is not for everyone and can be very challenging. It is a job which has a lot of routine so can be monotinous at times, but also busy with moving prisoners about to classes, courts, other escorts such as medical, transfers etc. Perfoming searches, dealing with difficult situations. The management I wont comment on as I basically am not supposed to. But the people you meet in corrections make the difference, I have some fond memories of real characters that have come and gone over the years. I suppose the most difficult part of the job is dealing with phsycologically impaired individuals, mostly because you cant get through to them most of the time. And also the roster basically sucks.
Pros
Good wages, 6 weeks annual leave, meet good people, learn a lot about yourself.
Cons
The roster, stress, uncoopeative people, negative enviroment.
17 June 2020
Same role
There were positive and negatives. What ruined it for me was horrible shift patterns, No work life balance and zero flexibility from middle management who seemed to ‘look after their own’ or pandered to the squeaky wheel whilst ignoring and not really developing the more reserved / solid workers.
Pros
Worthwhile and interesting job
Cons
Sold a lot of dreams during recruitment
9 February 2018
Same role
Every day was different. Always had to be on your toes and aware of your surroundings. I was always a team player and was prepared to multi-task when required. Had to be prepared to respond to emergency's and incidents when necessary. At times, I was required to act up in a SCO position(Senior Corrections Officer), which I achieved successfully.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Shift work
10 October 2015
Helping others to achieve tasks
how to deal with a variety of personal problems

there for support when needed

communicate with variety of aged people skilled and unskilled.

who will complete tasks, who needs to be encouraged to do tasks

Tasks completed during day

policys over riding, day to day tasks.

just a number, not a person.
Pros
Rumuneration package
Cons
not near Partrners, family. start 5.00am
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Zealand Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.