New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

New Zealand48 reviews
A good job but management needs improvement
I worked in the public safety/justice sectors here and overseas for over 20 years so I know what I'm talking about. Probation in NZ is primarily adminstrative social work and is easy if you are not in a service centre with an large case load. At times.the work is slow.
Probation Officers are expected to do social work and offender compliance which leads to role confusion. Courts will usually sentence offenders who breach community sentences to more community sentences or short terms of imprisonment because prisons are full. Offender behaviour varies little and consists of inablity to think beyond today and high self entitlement, similar to adolescent behaviour. This behaviour is reinforced by MSD, Corrections and the Courts and leads to learned helplessness.

Offenders can be unpleasant to deal with but are manageable as their behaviour is consistent. Some do turn their life around but this is not due to Corrections, it is because they decide to stop offending.

What is not manageable is the management. They can be negative, especially when you point out their lack of competence. Most managers are shoulder tapped and don't know how to lead or manage. The Department encourages management bullying and there will be negative consequences for staff who report this. Central office comes up with plans to manage offenders but they usually fail. An example is "reduce re offending by 25% by 2017." This didn't happen. Staff are usually good to work with although since there is no pre employment requirement or substantial entry standards for Probation Officer (university degree not required,
 - more...
Pros
Work hours, flexiblity of work
Cons
management, role conflict, offenders
Exciting and challenging, never the same.
Secure employment
Great working environment - team support

Supportive management - service manager

Good office condition

Challenging clients but support network fits in.
Pros
secure, stable and ongoing training with promotion and progression in role
Cons
challenging clients and high demand performance.
Fun work place with supportive management
fun place to work laid back co workers get the job done quick and correctly to go home early. low learning curve easy to get into
helping other to achieve tasks
Helping others to achieve tasks
how to deal with a variety of personal problems

there for support when needed

communicate with variety of aged people skilled and unskilled.

who will complete tasks, who needs to be encouraged to do tasks

Tasks completed during day

policys over riding, day to day tasks.

just a number, not a person.
Pros
Rumuneration package
Cons
not near Partrners, family. start 5.00am
Not going to be made redundant in the cities
Working in Corrections is an eye opener and can be very stressful. Working in such a negative environment can take its toll.
Pros
Stable career
Cons
Shift work, abuse
Administration environment
Most pleasant part is the interaction with the instructions who work on the farm/piggery or inside the wire as I do a lot of ordering for them. We have gone through a few reconstructions now and are still recovering from the latest, which saw a whole heap of changes for our work in the department.
lousy place to work
I do not have anything good to say about corrections, except the pay. Some workers were good but very few a great many were backstabbing career builders who did nothing to help but cause problems for staff who dared to question directions that were needed to improve working there. Overall I would warn people to stay away from there
Pros
pay
Cons
too much to put in here
working for my family
offend management in daily ,
learning everyday,

good relationship with my co-workers,

the hardest part of the job is handling with non-compliance prisoner.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New Zealand Department of Corrections?
Military experience provided a good base for the Dept of Corrections
My day at work normally started at 05:00am, a debrief with the shift Team Leader from the shift going off duty.

05:30am Briefing to staff ( Co workers )coming on duty covering incidents or need to knows from preceding shift.

A briefing of duties to be performed, personal responsibilities and any other tasks required to be actioned by staff about to start duty.

09:00am Daily meeting with management.

The hardest part of the job I found was maintaining staff and client safety in a work place where violence could flare up at any given moment.

The most enjoyable part of the job, having the knowledge that all staff were safe and had completed their duties to the best of their abilities prior to going off duty.

A typical day of a Team Leader in the Department Of Corrections.
Pros
The value ofTeamwork, regulations and having good systems in place
Cons
Working in a often violent environment.
An important community safety-minded department
Hit the floor running every day-job where prioritising a heavy workload is a must. Wide ranging duties and great colleagues to work with. Can be a stressful environment to work in.
Pros
Flexible hours and varied duties
Cons
Lack of employee concern
Challenging Role
This was a busy and challenging role which was varied. A typical day would consist of screening visitors by doing police checks, answering phone and fielding calls, meeting all visitors on their visits, ensuring they have no contraband, ensuring they put all phones etc in their lockers. It was a great team environment.

The hardest part of the job was seeing families upset. and the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make them feel at ease and not to fear the process
Pros
working with the public
Cons
long hours and lots of travel
Productive , hands on workshop
Running a comercial workshop with 1st yr apprentice's and makingg it profitable .
Prisoners are paid on average 40cent's per hour , however motivating them to become great workers is a challenge .

You can lead a hose to water but you can't make it drink ?

sure.... how so you firstly have to make it thirsty ?

This is the challenge
Pros
A great self learning opportunity and a great social experiment
Cons
Conflict, lacks variety
Overall - Balanced Career
You can learn so much and gain more from becoming a Corrections Officer as it is a extremely rewarding career.
Pros
Good support from your team
Cons
The company has improved it training, Good salary, Job security is good with advancement prospects. The culture can be negative.
The job is not for everyone and can be very challenging. It is a job which has a lot of routine so can be monotinous at times, but also busy with moving prisoners about to classes, courts, other escorts such as medical, transfers etc. Perfoming searches, dealing with difficult situations. The management I wont comment on as I basically am not supposed to. But the people you meet in corrections make the difference, I have some fond memories of real characters that have come and gone over the years. I suppose the most difficult part of the job is dealing with phsycologically impaired individuals, mostly because you cant get through to them most of the time. And also the roster basically sucks.
Pros
Good wages, 6 weeks annual leave, meet good people, learn a lot about yourself.
Cons
The roster, stress, uncoopeative people, negative enviroment.
watch your back
Good pay but watch your back. Their is a culture of corrections can be quite daunting.

Co-workers were forever talking behind my back and at times i felt very isolated. What i noticed was it was not only me but each other as well. A very unhealthy environment.

Management were more concerned about public controversy than doing what was required.

If you think being part of corrections is about making a difference in the lives of those you work with then think again.

Sadly the majority of the staff gain great please talking about clients (offenders) and how they are idiots, losers etc.

Not a healthy work environment which plays lip service to making a positive change in peoples lives. It was more about processing the numbers and pushing them through.

Could be a much better place if only management had the motivation to implement trust, honesty & integrity amongst its employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
office politics
Productive Learning and Fun workplace
A typical day at work was busy from the get go but a good learning establishment and a sense of direction of where I want to go and what I want to do.
Pros
Learning something new everyday
Cons
N/a
High Standard
We Officer's operated in a very high standard and professional manner as both company expected his worker's to be
I have good day's and not so good but I enjoyed most day because meeting new people and challenge is all part of the Corrections Officer duties.

I enjoyed interact with prisoner's and help them with whatever their needs.

I played a lots of table tennis with them and its good way to built a relationship with them

I have very a good working relationship with my work mate's. They are very important to me, someone that I can talk to when thing's are not running so well at home or work.
Pros
money
Cons
not much
structured work, supported well, supervised and trained to be effective
As a government agency the structures are in place and training is thorough and challenging.
Pros
company structure
Cons
large organisation
It was a secured job as the job is always there. I have been working shift work for 8 years however I managed to balance work and life.
I would like to be part of team who have the same passion and objectives. I have learned about the team effort is more successful than the individual effort. I have always treat my team with respect and integrity. The hardest part of the job when the team have no passion about the job. Clear and concise communication within the team is the most enjoyable part of the job because everyone have the same knowledge about the job.
Pros
job security
Cons
inconsistency
Cleaning the community & making the day good
I take on a group of 10 Offenders and i supervise them throughout the community. My job is to give them tasks to complete.. I have Learnt that Dealing with offenders you show them who's in charge, but also to treat them as proper Human beings. My co-workers and i have a good understanding about this Job that it can be dangerous. The hardest part of the Job is you have to get to know some of the offenders as you could be at risk with some of them. But the end of the day Everyone has a good day and so do the offenders.
Pros
Providing Lunch for the Offenders
Cons
9 hours from a Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
Amazing team
An extremely challenging, wonderful job where the interaction with people who are trying to get their lives back on track is a very empowering experience.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Zealand Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.