New Zealand Department of Corrections
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

New Zealand48 reviews
A good job but management needs improvement
I worked in the public safety/justice sectors here and overseas for over 20 years so I know what I'm talking about. Probation in NZ is primarily adminstrative social work and is easy if you are not in a service centre with an large case load. At times.the work is slow.
Probation Officers are expected to do social work and offender compliance which leads to role confusion. Courts will usually sentence offenders who breach community sentences to more community sentences or short terms of imprisonment because prisons are full. Offender behaviour varies little and consists of inablity to think beyond today and high self entitlement, similar to adolescent behaviour. This behaviour is reinforced by MSD, Corrections and the Courts and leads to learned helplessness.

Offenders can be unpleasant to deal with but are manageable as their behaviour is consistent. Some do turn their life around but this is not due to Corrections, it is because they decide to stop offending.

What is not manageable is the management. They can be negative, especially when you point out their lack of competence. Most managers are shoulder tapped and don't know how to lead or manage. The Department encourages management bullying and there will be negative consequences for staff who report this. Central office comes up with plans to manage offenders but they usually fail. An example is "reduce re offending by 25% by 2017." This didn't happen. Staff are usually good to work with although since there is no pre employment requirement or substantial entry standards for Probation Officer (university degree not required,
 - more...
Pros
Work hours, flexiblity of work
Cons
management, role conflict, offenders
Productive and fun work environment
My experience at this position was very rewarding. I dealt with inbound and outbound calls. Face to face or frontdesk work and meeting all different types of cultures. I was able to allocate myself with the different types of people who walked through the doors. I would get aggressive clients on parole and I did not show any fear but made them feel that I was there to help. I dealt with Police reports and reports for the Courts and did observations on the variety of cases that was being processed.
The hardest part of the job was seeing children dragged in and waiting around but as I said I was able to cater for all different backgrounds and styles....I had lollies and books prepared for the toddlers and questionnaires for those older!

I loved my time spent there and I learnt alot from the observations and having to cater to all during my time.
Busy
Everyday was never the same. Everyday brought on new learnings and developments. I enjoyed working in an environment that always kept me on my feet, always having something to do and working along side a great team. Within my first week of working in the Department of Corrections i had quickly learnt the basics of my admin role as well as the programs used for Clients. The hardest part of the job would be having to catch up if you have been set back due to absence or covering colleagues. The most enjoyable part of this job is i worked with a great team that were always willing to help where they they could.
Working within a challenging environment
Working within a prison environment bought experiences which could never be learnt from the outside sector. Communication, observation and managing situations.
A team environment is an essential ingredient when working within any environment

When you enjoy what you are doing then the task is much easier
Pros
meeting many challenges
Cons
shift work
Very interesting and rewarding work
Challenging role - I have a greater appreciation of all prison staff, however i do think that it takes a certain type of person to work with prisoners. My work was very satisfying i enjoyed motivating prisoners to change their thinking and behaviour. It was amazing to be a part of that dynamic. Department of corrections is a good employer.
Pros
pays well.
Cons
work can be dangerous.
Fun working environment.
Couldn't wait to wake up early in the morning to go work.
It was a great opportunity that I learnt alot from as a Receptionist through all the Administration duties.

My co-workers were really love to help and always there for any difficulties.

The most enjoyable part of the job is really enjoying to communicate with all offender from different cultures and background.
Pros
administration boss cook soups for the staff once or twice a week.
Review
The Prison service can be a hard job from time to time mainly the shifts and Prisoners we work with on a daily basis I learned alot about myself in the job and meet some great friends (co-workers). The best part of the job was seeing Prisoners moving forward in a possitive manor and doing well back in the community.
Pros
meeting people, and over time
Cons
10 day straights were hard at times
Active Management, Challenging, Rewarding
Actively Managing Prisoner's, providing necessary needs to each prisoner. Learned policies, procedures, and treaty of waitangi.
Managing time effectively and efficiently.

Professional, pride and team work with co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was the return of prisoner's whom have been actively managed and continually keep coming back to prison.

The most enjoyable is having the comradeship with co-workers and the very few prisoner's maintaining a offense free lifestyle.
Pros
comradeship