New Zealand Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

Modern, clean, comfortable offices and lunch areas and staff from all over made me feel welcome.
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington8 November 2019
It was a happy place to work in. My team leader was very nice, strict but fair overall. She kept a good eye on things. Her manager was a bit selective about who he liked and didn't like in our team which was a little unsettling sometimes.

Overall it was a good atmosphere there and I remember my time working there as quite positive although a little stressful at times keeping up with daily targets. I was made to feel welcome by most people that I worked with and also in other departments. Having the many small open plan tea making areas was a good way of meeting others in the office, but the lunch area was equally as nice. My training was adequate when I first started and there was always follow-up/catch-ups on my progress which was helpful. I knew where I stood as far as my performance and expectations were concerned.

I got the impression most people were quite happy there.
Pros
Nice office atmosphere with friendly atmosphere
Cons
Strict timeframe on work productivity
Great people.Poor management
CSO (Current Employee) –  Auckland CBD, Auckland20 July 2019
Fantastic work mates.
Management mostly English.Entrenched in the past and seem to fit into the system well.
Go on work for the government,contribute ,blah blah .
I did and would do it again. But..........?
Pros
serve the nation
Cons
underpaid. government mafia institutionalism.
Hardest part
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Wellington Central, Wellington2 April 2019
Managing expectations of staff vs Managers as first line manager you manage relationships and filter alot of conversations. Managing up is a key requirement
Pros
Job security
Cons
Change is constant, communication could be better
Fun workplace, difficult to grow
Central Processing Officer (Current Employee) –  Wellington, New Zealand8 April 2018
Great middle management. Higher up, not so much.
Fun team environment.
Repetitive tasks at times.

No room for advancement - you can take on more responsibility but don't get rewarded.
Pros
Semi-flexible hours, fun and casual environment
Opportunities for project management.
Technical Adviser (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland23 January 2018
Lots of different challenges, doing important work, working with a variety of people, participating in something that matters to the whole country, variety of work, clever people.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Busy
Interesting work and supportive managers and colleagues
Barrister and Solicitor (Former Employee) –  New Zealand11 September 2017
As a junior lawyer, plenty of opportunity to progress and grow.

The work environment was generally positive and the day to day work was engaging and interesting.
fast paced and continually changing
Grants Officer, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland2 August 2017
fast paced with constant changes in processes and policy - tight time frames you learned to work under constant pressure. High expectation from management with no financial rewards.
Pros
interesting - customer focus
Cons
no back up from management
Interesting and Varied Work
Thames District Court is a varied career with no two days ever being the same. I worked in a small office and my colleagues were like my family.

I enjoyed working with Judges, police, probation officers, lawyers and many other people from all walks of life.

A typical day at work involves scheduling court hearings, processing urgent parenting applications, processing urgent protection orders, preparing files for Judges for Criminal or Family Court hearings, serving all types of people at the front counter - sometimes dealing with difficult customers.
Pros
Great variety of work, excellent colleagues
Cons
Not enough staff / pay for the work required