New Zealand Police
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Police Employee Reviews

New Zealand45 reviews
Learned to read and be aware of the current situation in the country and the world. Happy to respond and help people. NZ Police I would say is fair with their employees.
Everyday is busy with very little down time, always something different working in a multicultural diverse environment .
With regular training and implemented legislative laws, this is part of your responsibility to avoid any potential consequences.

Dealing with a vast range of individuals from petty theft to murderers, mental health ,and drug related issues, can be quite challenging.

You bwitecome very resourceful working with Health, and Social workers , Court staff , Corrections Dept as well as Youth and Child Services . Building those relationships are important to a successful outcome, stay alert, focused to benefit your fellow comrades and public safety.

Learning different aspects of your role from fingerprinting,accessing computer data, to court proceedings comes with wide range of knowledge, that enhances your communication skills.

Good work ethics a team player and equally comfortable working independently, pay attention to detail, good under pressure, multitask and skill set to excel .

Those are some of the qualities of becoming a successful Authorised Officer. Don't be complacent this is a stepping stone to becoming Fully Sworn, you will know by then if a career in the New Zealand Police is for you.
The pay was disproportionate to the level of risk undertaken by those on the frontline. However in saying that, where there were levels of disparity in pay for the amount of risk taken, when injured or needing special leave etc, the Police welfare looked after you exceptionally well which I don't think you would get in any other job. For example, sick leave leave, family leave, mental wellbeing etc. The Police looked after you very well in this area.
I found that the Police Officers were great but Senior management - corrupt, unhelpful and dishonest. The deceit and dishonesty in senior management is appalling.
Good people, good communication.
The jobs and sthing you will put through and hear are something that you would never guess.

The people at the Communications centre are just wonderful.
It's a challenging but rewarding job. You get to meet people from all walks of life and learn so many different cultures. It's a job where you could really make a difference in people's lives so that they can be safe and feel safe in their communities.

Management team are so helpful and they look after the teams well. I have learned so much about legislation and work as an acting supervisor a couple of times.

The workplace culture is great in my personal experience as a police officer. I guess the hardest part of the job for me is balancing work time and family time. The most enjoyable part of my job is when you go home after your day and knowing that you have helped someone whatever situation they're in. It creates better work stories
Such a good environment - if you've found a good team.
Currently I am really enjoying working here very family orientated and family focused. Very good place to learn in and get educated on what's out there for family violence.
A typical day as an emergency call communicator would involve receiving emergency & traffic complaint calls from the public.
You learned to be patient while trying to help the caller & you also learned to ensure that you communicate effectively not only over the phone to the callers but also to & with your work colleagues.

A strong & successful workplace requires a fully supportive management team which was what we had at Police Northcomms (based in Auckland.)

The workplace culture was vibrant & diverse with many people of different ethnic backgrounds working at Northcomms. You were constantly encouraged to treat everyone with respect regardless of their race, gender, sexuality etc which

The hardest part of the job was learning to deal with different scenarios which weren't covered in training.

The best part of the job was knowing that you contributed to trying to help a member of the public with their predicament, successfully or not & the thanks you receive for the work the organisation does as a whole.
Pros
Helping members of the community
Cons
Having to work different rosters
Great job satisfaction in assisting the general public and making the community a safer place to live in. Learned all facets of criminal law, and maintaining the law and order under some difficult circumstances.
Pros
Job Satisfaction and learning avenues
Cons
Shift work
NZ Police helped me mature as a professional and learn how to overcome difficulties. They were a benevolent employee and a fine organisation to work for.
I thoroughly enjoy working for N. Z Police, everyday brings new challenges. The most enjoyable part of the job is being appreciated for hard days work
Not too bad a place to work. Stress levels are high, culture is good. Looking to make New Zealand the safest country in 2021. Building relationships with everyone in the country and wanting to build trust and confidence
Pros
Good culture
Cons
Stress levels high
visiting service users in their residential addresses, helping with day to day needs, planning with them towards recovery and ensuring they are self medicated .
Pros
great to help people
Cons
lack of funds to do more to help
I enjoyed working for the New Zealand Police because the staff and team leader was friendly helpful and kind to me. I would of love to been the permanently.
Was a very fast paced and exciting role to be a part of, something different happened each day which made it a good team to be a part of. The best part of the job was starting and finishing early
Management team could have done more to take care of their workers.
CEO changed a lot over the years that I worked there and they all often had different idea's about where they wanted to take the company which resulted in the workers suffering.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough work
Most days were stressful and difficult. When the right people were on shift they made the job alot easier because you had the listening ear to discuss things with
Pros
Bonding with collegues
Cons
Shiftwork
My role was to destroy all the old paper files and make them all electronic using a program on the computer. I really enjoyed my time while on the temp contract, i kept to myself and if the opportunity came up again i would 100% take it.
Police stations great place to clean
However the police was not my employer Spotless Services was

Pleasant staff

Very busy did not have time to chat

Had short time to clean all areas

Nothing further
Pros
lovely people
Cons
sometimes very dirty
Senior officers and systems were a joke. practicle policeman got burnt out while the people promoted were useless and are still in the job doing as little as they did then.
Pros
time off
Cons
fellow staff
Quality place to work, I only left due to having Childcare issues at that particular time.
When I was ready to return to full time employment, police Comms weren't advertising.

I thought ambulance Comms would be similar enough to work and enjoy.
Pros
Very professional, supportive environment
Cons
Hours not as attractive as ambulance or fire