New Zealand Police
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Police Employee Reviews

New Zealand47 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Fast paced environment

Really need to be on your toes and quick to think in your role. The workplace is good as it prompts you to use your head a bit more than you’re used to

Pros

Work environment, support, discounts

Cons

Workload

Terrible culture and haemorrhaging staff because of it

The organisation still operates with a command and control culture. They don’t respect their staff and their talk of caring about the well-being of staff is a complete contradiction to the reality. When staff leave they aren’t replaced. Their workload is just shared amongst those that remain with no increase in pay. If you plan to apply for a job with this organisation be prepared to lose your work life balance and the expectation you will do more than you are paid for. Even their performance plan documentation states staff should be thankful they have been employed by the organisation with zero recognition that the organisation is fortunate to have their people as employees. That sums up their attitude perfectly. While some areas of the business may be different the People Operations group are not allowed to work from home, a lot of management are driven like puppets rather than empowered to make decisions for themselves and staff are doing more than their job. I was excited to get a job at Police but my reality was a a terrible experience and I see this as my worst job in my whole working life. Many people have been promised professional development and career progression but the organisation fails to act with integrity to honour those promises and with the number of vacant positions people are too busy to be taking any time out to be developed. An awful experience. One that I will be working to erase from my memory as quickly as I can.

Pros

Discount at Noel Leemings and amazing colleagues generally

Cons

Command and control, bullying culture, jobs that don’t match the job description, under staffed, no work life balance, disorganised, stuck in their ways, don’t respect their staff, don’t care about staff well-being

Productiv and collaborative

Learned to read and be aware of the current situation in the country and the world. Happy to respond and help people. NZ Police I would say is fair with their employees.

Challenge yourself - find gratification

Everyday is busy with very little down time, always something different working in a multicultural diverse environment . With regular training and implemented legislative laws, this is part of your responsibility to avoid any potential consequences. Dealing with a vast range of individuals from petty theft to murderers, mental health ,and drug related issues, can be quite challenging. You bwitecome very resourceful working with Health, and Social workers , Court staff , Corrections Dept as well as Youth and Child Services . Building those relationships are important to a successful outcome, stay alert, focused to benefit your fellow comrades and public safety. Learning different aspects of your role from fingerprinting,accessing computer data, to court proceedings comes with wide range of knowledge, that enhances your communication skills. Good work ethics a team player and equally comfortable working independently, pay attention to detail, good under pressure, multitask and skill set to excel . Those are some of the qualities of becoming a successful Authorised Officer. Don't be complacent this is a stepping stone to becoming Fully Sworn, you will know by then if a career in the New Zealand Police is for you.

Level of pay for frontline staff needed to be higher

The pay was disproportionate to the level of risk undertaken by those on the frontline. However in saying that, where there were levels of disparity in pay for the amount of risk taken, when injured or needing special leave etc, the Police welfare looked after you exceptionally well which I don't think you would get in any other job. For example, sick leave leave, family leave, mental wellbeing etc. The Police looked after you very well in this area.

Work

I found that the Police Officers were great but Senior management - corrupt, unhelpful and dishonest. The deceit and dishonesty in senior management is appalling.

Amazing

Good people, good communication. The jobs and sthing you will put through and hear are something that you would never guess. The people at the Communications centre are just wonderful.

Challenging but rewarding

It's a challenging but rewarding job. You get to meet people from all walks of life and learn so many different cultures. It's a job where you could really make a difference in people's lives so that they can be safe and feel safe in their communities. Management team are so helpful and they look after the teams well. I have learned so much about legislation and work as an acting supervisor a couple of times. The workplace culture is great in my personal experience as a police officer. I guess the hardest part of the job for me is balancing work time and family time. The most enjoyable part of my job is when you go home after your day and knowing that you have helped someone whatever situation they're in. It creates better work stories

Awesome place to work

Such a good environment - if you've found a good team. Currently I am really enjoying working here very family orientated and family focused. Very good place to learn in and get educated on what's out there for family violence.

Very busy work environment with fantastic & focussed professionals

A typical day as an emergency call communicator would involve receiving emergency & traffic complaint calls from the public. You learned to be patient while trying to help the caller & you also learned to ensure that you communicate effectively not only over the phone to the callers but also to & with your work colleagues. A strong & successful workplace requires a fully supportive management team which was what we had at Police Northcomms (based in Auckland.) The workplace culture was vibrant & diverse with many people of different ethnic backgrounds working at Northcomms. You were constantly encouraged to treat everyone with respect regardless of their race, gender, sexuality etc which The hardest part of the job was learning to deal with different scenarios which weren't covered in training. The best part of the job was knowing that you contributed to trying to help a member of the public with their predicament, successfully or not & the thanks you receive for the work the organisation does as a whole.

Pros

Helping members of the community

Cons

Having to work different rosters

Assisting the Public

Great job satisfaction in assisting the general public and making the community a safer place to live in. Learned all facets of criminal law, and maintaining the law and order under some difficult circumstances.

Pros

Job Satisfaction and learning avenues

Cons

Shift work

Good team spirit for a worthy cause

NZ Police helped me mature as a professional and learn how to overcome difficulties. They were a benevolent employee and a fine organisation to work for.

Great place to work where everyone is greatly appreciated.

I thoroughly enjoy working for N. Z Police, everyday brings new challenges. The most enjoyable part of the job is being appreciated for hard days work

Productive work place

Not too bad a place to work. Stress levels are high, culture is good. Looking to make New Zealand the safest country in 2021. Building relationships with everyone in the country and wanting to build trust and confidence

Pros

Good culture

Cons

Stress levels high

awesome place to help people and integrate them into the community

visiting service users in their residential addresses, helping with day to day needs, planning with them towards recovery and ensuring they are self medicated .

Pros

great to help people

Cons

lack of funds to do more to help

Document Manager Center New Zealand Police

I enjoyed working for the New Zealand Police because the staff and team leader was friendly helpful and kind to me. I would of love to been the permanently.

Fast paced

Was a very fast paced and exciting role to be a part of, something different happened each day which made it a good team to be a part of. The best part of the job was starting and finishing early

It was alright.

Management team could have done more to take care of their workers. CEO changed a lot over the years that I worked there and they all often had different idea's about where they wanted to take the company which resulted in the workers suffering.

Pros

close to home

Cons

not enough work

Stressful job on occasion

Most days were stressful and difficult. When the right people were on shift they made the job alot easier because you had the listening ear to discuss things with

Pros

Bonding with collegues

Cons

Shiftwork

My role was to destroy all the old paper files and make them all electronic using a program on the computer. I really enjoyed my time while on the temp contract, i kept to myself and if the opportunity came up again i would 100% take it.

Enjoyable

Police stations great place to clean However the police was not my employer Spotless Services was Pleasant staff Very busy did not have time to chat Had short time to clean all areas Nothing further

Pros

lovely people

Cons

sometimes very dirty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Zealand Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• New Zealand Police