New Zealand Police
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Police Employee Reviews for Police Officer

Police Officer13 reviews
The pay was disproportionate to the level of risk undertaken by those on the frontline. However in saying that, where there were levels of disparity in pay for the amount of risk taken, when injured or needing special leave etc, the Police welfare looked after you exceptionally well which I don't think you would get in any other job. For example, sick leave leave, family leave, mental wellbeing etc. The Police looked after you very well in this area.
I learned from working there as a Record Officer that this was the job for me. I would work long hours and be trained in every aspect of the job including new roles when they became available and I was always putting my hand up for extra work. The workplace culture was amazing and everybody was always willing to assist in every aspect of the job. The hardest part of the job was working while my heatlh was failing and finding it difficult to get to work due to lingering migraines and sick family members. The most enjoyable moments of the job was meeting new friends who are still my dearest friends to this day.
Pros
Meeting new people, learning new skills
Cons
Having to leave due to illness
Great job satisfaction in assisting the general public and making the community a safer place to live in. Learned all facets of criminal law, and maintaining the law and order under some difficult circumstances.
Pros
Job Satisfaction and learning avenues
Cons
Shift work
NZ Police helped me mature as a professional and learn how to overcome difficulties. They were a benevolent employee and a fine organisation to work for.
Senior officers and systems were a joke. practicle policeman got burnt out while the people promoted were useless and are still in the job doing as little as they did then.
Pros
time off
Cons
fellow staff
Excellent organisation to work for. They are fully backed and funded by the New Zealand Government and they regularly support their staff. Good working environment.
Pros
Good work life balance
Within the NZ Police you needed the ability to be flexible. This related to the way you approached situations, the process you used to resolve said situations and the likely outcomes.

No two situations you went to no matter how similar were ever resolved in the same way.

I found this to be a challenging and awarding aspect of the job as it keep you thinking on the run so to speak and always improving your mental, emotional, verbal skills.
Policing is a job full of the unknown and unexpected so trust and respect of co workers is paramount.
Knowing Management is supportive, fair, consistent and there.

The biggest teaching from the job are developing relationships through clear and honest communication, on the job during the job and outside of the job.

Communication, trust, honesty, variety and learning
Pros
Communication, trust, honesty, variety and learning
Cons
Effects on person relationships
I loved my time in the NZ Police. Helping people in there desperate hour and safely removing them to a stable enviroment.
Pros
Mateship
Cons
Long Hours
A typical day was started with a debrief. This included tasks that needed attention, activities occurring in the area. Persons of interest.
Then as jobs were called in, attending to the matters. This included vast variables. Victims and offenders interviewed and statements documented. Offenders prosecuted. Court files lodged. Offenders processed, and victims informed. Patrolling high crime areas. Checking Bars, Sting operations.

Great Co workers working as a team.

Hardest part of the job. Having to do mortuary procedures..

Enjoyable part of the job. Getting an outcome to a situation.
Pros
Job Package, super, gym facilities.
Cons
shifts.
There is no same day at work. It is always different. At the start of shift you check to see where crime such as burglaries and theft is occurring. You then patrol that area in order to keep crime down and to reassure the public that you are around. If an arrest occurs processing takes about an hour, plus getting the prosecution file completed can take time. Making sure you get this right may prevent a day in court. Management are approachable but you must keep on top of your work load in order to reduce the amount of stress. You meet some fantastic people even the people that you have arrested can be decent people, some your work colleagues are fantastic. The hardest part of the job is dealing with families who have just lost a loved one and telling them that person has died is very difficult.
Pros
Meeting great people
Cons
Shiftwork.
I enjoyed my time here, however I felt it was time to move on and learn more skills.
After 12 years with the UK Police I served 2 years with the NZ Police service.