New Zealand Police
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Police Management reviews

New Zealand45 reviews
It's a challenging but rewarding job. You get to meet people from all walks of life and learn so many different cultures. It's a job where you could really make a difference in people's lives so that they can be safe and feel safe in their communities.

Management team are so helpful and they look after the teams well. I have learned so much about legislation and work as an acting supervisor a couple of times.

The workplace culture is great in my personal experience as a police officer. I guess the hardest part of the job for me is balancing work time and family time. The most enjoyable part of my job is when you go home after your day and knowing that you have helped someone whatever situation they're in. It creates better work stories
I found that the Police Officers were great but Senior management - corrupt, unhelpful and dishonest. The deceit and dishonesty in senior management is appalling.
A typical day as an emergency call communicator would involve receiving emergency & traffic complaint calls from the public.
You learned to be patient while trying to help the caller & you also learned to ensure that you communicate effectively not only over the phone to the callers but also to & with your work colleagues.

A strong & successful workplace requires a fully supportive management team which was what we had at Police Northcomms (based in Auckland.)
The workplace culture was vibrant & diverse with many people of different ethnic backgrounds working at Northcomms. You were constantly encouraged to treat everyone with respect regardless of their race, gender, sexuality etc which

The hardest part of the job was learning to deal with different scenarios which weren't covered in training.

The best part of the job was knowing that you contributed to trying to help a member of the public with their predicament, successfully or not & the thanks you receive for the work the organisation does as a whole.
Pros
Helping members of the community
Cons
Having to work different rosters
Management team could have done more to take care of their workers.
CEO changed a lot over the years that I worked there and they all often had different idea's about where they wanted to take the company which resulted in the workers suffering.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough work
Senior officers and systems were a joke. practicle policeman got burnt out while the people promoted were useless and are still in the job doing as little as they did then.
Pros
time off
Cons
fellow staff
Happy work place with open spaces, friendly people and the work was very interesting and easy to pick up. Management had an open door policy which made it feel welcoming.
Pros
Good equipment, Staff were great.
Cons
Policing is a job full of the unknown and unexpected so trust and respect of co workers is paramount.
Knowing Management is supportive, fair, consistent and there.
The biggest teaching from the job are developing relationships through clear and honest communication, on the job during the job and outside of the job.

Communication, trust, honesty, variety and learning
Pros
Communication, trust, honesty, variety and learning
Cons
Effects on person relationships
Dealing with incidents, accidents hazardous material left on the motorways.
Customer care enquiries dealing with the public, emergency services, traffic management operations.
Co workers most were hard working others very lazy not wanting to be accountable.

Hardest part was working and dealing with drunk drivers who cause accidents and deaths on the roads.
Pros
company car
Cons
long hours not always recognised by management
I have always been very proud to be a member of the NZ Police, I don't always agree with their management systems regarding personnel, but I believe that each and every person working with the Police give their very best every day. They put themselves in situations for which the public are unaware. Often putting themselves at risk to better the public. Totally under resourced and overworked.

I would not hesitate to work for them again.
Pros
good work stories
Cons
often unsocial hours and not always appreciated for the extra effort
Most days were busy but enjoyable
I learned many new skills to further myself.

Management did not care about the people, just the stats.
My co-workers were a great group of people.

Night shifts were difficult as we did 7 in a row.

Most enjoyable part of the job was solving issues for the guys and the friendships I made.
Pros
The people i worked with
Cons
Fantastic place to work - great learning opportunity

Provided Police employees at all levels with advice on Human Resource practice and policy with regards to parental leave, leave without pay, flexible employment opportunities, contractual entitlements, allowances, sickness management and career advancement.
Performed data entry activities with focus on performance appraisals, timesheet entry, leave applications, position transfers and job applications

Managed district personnel and medical files whilst maintaining confidentiality requirements

Prepared employment documents such as provisional offer letters, vetting checks and collective and individual contracts

Provided prompt, friendly and professional support for all HR inquiries and complaints

Established and maintain effective and professional working relationships with team members and other Police employees

Assisted with vacancy advertisements, recruitment processes and external and internal appointments
Pros
Great learning environment and fantastic HR team
- Administration based computer tasks
- Team work, lives of criminals, communication skills, working in a government sector

- Management team extremely supportive and capable
- Great team environment with hardworking co-workers
- Quite long hours with shift work.

- Team environment, unique day to day content
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Long shifts
My day at work is involved as a Systems Test Analyst covering HRIS Systems, but have also had involvement within other aspects of systems of which i volunteered at a Police station on Saturdays for a whole year in which i learnt new systems.

Police like a lot of Govt Departments is going through a restructure, which has led to a change in management thinking on approach to business drivers and altermately how staff are reviewed in terms of employment. Management in the main have been very supportive but without teeth to get things done.

My workmates are fantastic and i will miss them so much.

The hardest part of the job over the last couple of years has been the politics between IT and the Business, which is relentless.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was knowing that you had put a 110% effort in to produced a good product which made life easier for the Front Line.
Pros
flexible working hours, location
Cons
ongoing restructure no end in sight.