New Zealand Police
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

New Zealand Police Employee Reviews

New Zealand44 reviews
Challenge yourself - find gratification
Everyday is busy with very little down time, always something different working in a multicultural diverse environment .
With regular training and implemented legislative laws, this is part of your responsibility to avoid any potential consequences.

Dealing with a vast range of individuals from petty theft to murderers, mental health ,and drug related issues, can be quite challenging.

You bwitecome very resourceful working with Health, and Social workers , Court staff , Corrections Dept as well as Youth and Child Services . Building those relationships are important to a successful outcome, stay alert, focused to benefit your fellow comrades and public safety.

Learning different aspects of your role from fingerprinting,accessing computer data, to court proceedings comes with wide range of knowledge, that enhances your communication skills.

Good work ethics a team player and equally comfortable working independently, pay attention to detail, good under pressure, multitask and skill set to excel .

Those are some of the qualities of becoming a successful Authorised Officer. Don't be complacent this is a stepping stone to becoming Fully Sworn, you will know by then if a career in the New Zealand Police is for you.
Great people to work with
The ground workers are fantastic. Its a very fun place with a lot of very caring people.
The job is interesting and varied and there are lots of different fields to work in.
Pros
A big family
Cons
Expectations are ridiculous
very strict and well mannered working place
Each day is different you must not expect each day to be the same. I enjoyed working each day knowing that I was safe, but the hardest part about each day is ensuring that I did my part in helping our officers make the public/community feel safe. Each person i worked with everyday had their own uniqueness which made each day a good day and very much enjoyable to be at work everyday.
Pros
Free lunches at times
Cons
Long hours, unexpected shifts
Secure job with exciting opportunities and work variety
Dealing with a variety of incidents from minor matters to serious situations that will always have you on your toes and provide opportunities to develop a variety of skills.
Policing is about dealing with people in a fair and honest manner, being able to walk in their shoes and deal with them with dignity and respect. Treat people as you would expect to be treated and remember you are often judged on first impressions.

The work place culture is excellent with great team bonding and lifelong friendships. You rely on each other to support one another and get the job done effectively.

The hardest part of the job is facing the fact that you bare dealing with people's lives. Every contact you have with them could effect their life. Death and dealing with victims can be very difficult but very rewarding when you are able to make a difference to their lives.

The job is rewarding and exciting with no two days being the same. The variety of work and the camaraderie experienced is enjoyable.
Pros
Good salary and benefits, opportunities for promotion especially in larger centres
Cons
Stressful situations that might not suit everyone, conflict
Interesting and Varied Work Place
New Zealand Police is a fantastic organisation to work for. there is always room for growth, training opportunity's. It provides an encouraging, interesting and varied work environment. No two days are the same. Better work stories.
fun and cultural
Although i wasnt getting paid for working as their receptionist. I thoroughly enjoyed volunteering there. I got the job through a police officer who looked after our school. Everyone was so welcoming and you can imagine working under the same roof as 50 plus police officers, they were really chilled and easy to talk to.
Pros
free food
Cons
short hours
Flexibility
Within the NZ Police you needed the ability to be flexible. This related to the way you approached situations, the process you used to resolve said situations and the likely outcomes.

No two situations you went to no matter how similar were ever resolved in the same way.

I found this to be a challenging and awarding aspect of the job as it keep you thinking on the run so to speak and always improving your mental, emotional, verbal skills.
Variety and continuous self development
Policing is a job full of the unknown and unexpected so trust and respect of co workers is paramount.
Knowing Management is supportive, fair, consistent and there.

The biggest teaching from the job are developing relationships through clear and honest communication, on the job during the job and outside of the job.

Communication, trust, honesty, variety and learning
Pros
Communication, trust, honesty, variety and learning
Cons
Effects on person relationships
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New Zealand Police?
Can be very hazardous environment extremely busy
Dealing with incidents, accidents hazardous material left on the motorways.
Customer care enquiries dealing with the public, emergency services, traffic management operations.

Co workers most were hard working others very lazy not wanting to be accountable.

Hardest part was working and dealing with drunk drivers who cause accidents and deaths on the roads.
Pros
company car
Cons
long hours not always recognised by management
Good environment
I enjoyed my time working at The New Zealand Police, the people were nice. The atmosphere was good. The pay was good. I learnt a lot about computer skills. A typical day at work was just sitting behind a computer desk all day
Exciting
I loved my time in the NZ Police. Helping people in there desperate hour and safely removing them to a stable enviroment.
Pros
Mateship
Cons
Long Hours
hardworking worthwhile organisation
I have always been very proud to be a member of the NZ Police, I don't always agree with their management systems regarding personnel, but I believe that each and every person working with the Police give their very best every day. They put themselves in situations for which the public are unaware. Often putting themselves at risk to better the public. Totally under resourced and overworked.

I would not hesitate to work for them again.
Pros
good work stories
Cons
often unsocial hours and not always appreciated for the extra effort
Good workplace with support and great oppertunities
A typical day was started with a debrief. This included tasks that needed attention, activities occurring in the area. Persons of interest.
Then as jobs were called in, attending to the matters. This included vast variables. Victims and offenders interviewed and statements documented. Offenders prosecuted. Court files lodged. Offenders processed, and victims informed. Patrolling high crime areas. Checking Bars, Sting operations.

Great Co workers working as a team.

Hardest part of the job. Having to do mortuary procedures..

Enjoyable part of the job. Getting an outcome to a situation.
Pros
Job Package, super, gym facilities.
Cons
shifts.
Good
Was a good experience helping the community and getting out there. Was something different I felt I had to try. The staff their were very friendly and understanding and explained to me everything I had to do in order to make sure everything is going well. I feel the main satisfaction from the job was the part when they actually didn't sell me the alcohol.
Pros
Helping out
Most days were busy but enjoyable
I learned many new skills to further myself.

Management did not care about the people, just the stats.

My co-workers were a great group of people.

Night shifts were difficult as we did 7 in a row.

Most enjoyable part of the job was solving issues for the guys and the friendships I made.
Pros
The people i worked with
Cons
A responsible job where you can make a valuable contribution to your community
Every day presents a new challenge: no two situations are identical, so each 111 call you answer requires your full attention. It is vital that you listen carefully and respond appropriately and quickly so that police officers can be dispatched to incidents with all the relevant information they require: people's lives may depend on you. It is a challenging environment, and I gained high degree of personal satisfaction from helping people to the best of my abilities.
The hardest part is working 24/7 and fitting that in with your family responsibilities and personal circumstances.
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
Night shift!
New Zealand Police
Fantastic place to work - great learning opportunity

Provided Police employees at all levels with advice on Human Resource practice and policy with regards to parental leave, leave without pay, flexible employment opportunities, contractual entitlements, allowances, sickness management and career advancement.

Performed data entry activities with focus on performance appraisals, timesheet entry, leave applications, position transfers and job applications

Managed district personnel and medical files whilst maintaining confidentiality requirements

Prepared employment documents such as provisional offer letters, vetting checks and collective and individual contracts

Provided prompt, friendly and professional support for all HR inquiries and complaints

Established and maintain effective and professional working relationships with team members and other Police employees

Assisted with vacancy advertisements, recruitment processes and external and internal appointments
Pros
Great learning environment and fantastic HR team
My Co - Workers
We are very diverse bunch and so there is a wide range of knowledge that people bring when they come to the job.
We are given a good knowledge base when we first start the job and learn many other skills along the way.
Pros
Amazing people that I work with
Cons
The shift work
I enjoyed my time here, however I felt it was time to move on and learn more skills.
Room to improve working standards.
After 12 years with the UK Police I served 2 years with the NZ Police service.
Productive, Team Work, Stimulating Work Environment
- Administration based computer tasks
- Team work, lives of criminals, communication skills, working in a government sector

- Management team extremely supportive and capable

- Great team environment with hardworking co-workers

- Quite long hours with shift work.

- Team environment, unique day to day content
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Long shifts