Number One Shoes
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Number One Shoes Employee Reviews

New Zealand39 reviews
Great first job
The team is amazing to work with, I've made a lot of friendships. If there is a problem we all solve it together. There is always a set plan for each shift so I always have a clear idea of what is needed to be done/achieved that day. If something happens, or a customer is being difficult - I never feel like I have to deal with it alone, and know I can rely on my fellow colleagues to back me up :)
I love this job
Management is awesome, they genuinely care about us team members.
We create good relationships with our customers and if ever there is a problem my boss is awesome at problem solving whether its dealing with a customer complaint or finding where to put new arrivals (sometimes we get more shoes than our shelves).

Could do with more hours pay rate is good.
Normal day at work
Definitely learnt a lot more about merchandising with finer details love working for the company just not enough hours customers always brings joy to my day especially when its slow
Pros
Desent Discount
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Hardworking, fast pace environment
directly assist customers, process transactions, help merchandise the sales floor, and play a vital role in making our retail experience a positive one. Top notch customer service skills are a must, as is the ability to learn product knowledge quickly and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Great company
Number One Shoes is a great company to work in especially for someone who is climbing up the ladder in retail. There is always opportunities to grow in the company. You also have a great network of people to support you if you need help
Pros
Free shoes and staff discounts
Fun and Easygoing
Cool place to work. Best retail job i’ve had by far. Always felt appreciated and the team was always willing to help each other out when needed. Management was firm but very fair which made going to work more enjoyable. The work load was spread evenly amongst everyone and it was a really positive environment to work in.
Best work experience
It was like a second family and it was my first job which I’d love to go back to anytime! Number One Shoes helped me in so many ways in my confidence and people skills.
Great first job - depending which store you’re at.
This job is perfect as your first entry into the workforce. Head office are always professional, store management on the other hand, not so much - favouritism is definitely a large factor.
Pros
Always busy, great customer service experience, friendly team members.
Cons
No pay rises.
Only good as starting job
Great to meet people and to up skill on your customer service. Over worked and underpaid. Managers are hit and miss, some needing to work on management skills. Others are brilliant. No real prospect of climbing up the ladder into higher positions as they prefer to recruit externally rather than internally within particular stores. If you want to start in retail and learn the ropes then this would be suitable. If you like progression then prehaps this is not the company for you. Lack of appreciation of staff. Unrealistic expectations. No real follow up about staff complaints. Issues are swept under the mat. Gossip is rife within number one shoes. Bullying is also an issue that does not get handled in the appropriate manner.
Pros
Free shoes, meeting great people
Cons
Lack of appreciation of staff. Unrealistic expectations. Bullying.
Good for experience, but issues are never addressed
A typical day would involve prioritising customer service and interacting with the customers to help them find what they are looking for. Second to that, you would be restocking the shoes and maintaining the stores appearance by tidying and size ordering the stock.

It is a good place if you want to learn about retail and have a hands on approach to sales.

Issues or problems in the store are not resolved and ignored.

The hardest part of the job is interpersonal relations between staff.

The most enjoyable part is when you get wonderful customers that you can help.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
No opportunities for advancement, no actual management of issues
A good starter
awesome place for retail experience. Not the best company to work for. Lack of appreciation to staff other than that, you get the best experience working with customers. You can gain awesome customer service skills really quick
Pros
Free shoes, meet awesome people, good retail experience
Cons
No incentive, Sore feet, not the greatest staff discount, too much expectations, rude customers
productive team
Productive team, a fun work place and good team members and sales skill. The manager could have handled some situations better but i really enjoyed my time working there
Pros
good company
Awesome Company
The Blenheim branch is a fun place where everyone has fun. The manager makes sure everyone is physically and emotionally well.
I find that communication is really good and if there is a conflict all staff join to help out.
Pros
Team/Staff
Cons
No Cons
stressful
its a very stressful and controlling place. No trust in employees. The permanent staff are very unsupportive and tend to gossip or backstab. It was great at first until you realise how unorganised the work place is.
very fun experience
working at NOS has been a great experience as i have a great team members to work with. Good management, have learn a lot from NOS
the most enjoyment part of the job is seeing customers satisfied and making customers happy with our services to them. the hardest part would be dealing with difficult customers.

By working at NOS i have learnt to be more confident when talking with customers, my communication skills got must better, learnt how to manage the store in busy time of the year, and how to make customers happy.

what i love about NOS is that it keeps me busy as i enjoy keeping my hands busy with somethings.
Pros
free lunches on busy days
Cons
dealing with difficult customers on busy time
Small tight organisation
Creating new ranges and product development was most enjoyable.
Flat Organisation structure.

Open seating plan.

Celebrate success.

Appreciated for job well done.
Pros
Free Coffee and Tea
Very Physical Job
A typical day would be picking of orders of fruit and vegetable. Labelling and packing of these orders. Manager was very well organised and firm on what needed doing for that shift.
Pros
would be able to take left over fruit and vegetables after working over time
Cons
Great entry level, interpersonal job
Typical day consists of pushing out stock and assisting customers- weekends are more customer service- centric. Great staff and management overall, opportunities to move up for those that want them.
Pros
Relatively easy and straightforward
Cons
Sore feet, rude customers
Got to meet a lot of new people and I've got to learn and know more about retailing
People who i did my experience with we're friendly they've helped me to improve on my communicating skills. They've taught me to not be shy and just be yourself when ever a customer comes into your store.
Pros
You come with your own lunch
Cons
7 hours
can be ok place to work
some team member's are terrible to work with, management is all about them selves and the pay is min wages and not great for the workload you sometimes have to do, great team at the tga stoe
Pros
the team
Cons
some managers
Give you Birthday off with pay
Management were rude to shop staff.
As there were 2 shops Women's and Men's had to walk between them to give customer refunds.

Office was up stairs so to do any office work .