Number One Shoes Employee Reviews

A good starter
Team member (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland3 July 2018
awesome place for retail experience. Not the best company to work for. Lack of appreciation to staff other than that, you get the best experience working with customers. You can gain awesome customer service skills really quick
Pros
Free shoes, meet awesome people, good retail experience
Cons
No incentive, Sore feet, not the greatest staff discount, too much expectations, rude customers
productive team
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, Canterbury7 June 2018
Productive team, a fun work place and good team members and sales skill. The manager could have handled some situations better but i really enjoyed my time working there
Pros
good company
Awesome Company
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blenheim, Marlborough25 April 2018
The Blenheim branch is a fun place where everyone has fun. The manager makes sure everyone is physically and emotionally well.
I find that communication is really good and if there is a conflict all staff join to help out.
Pros
Team/Staff
Cons
No Cons
stressful
Sales Assisstant (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland20 April 2018
its a very stressful and controlling place. No trust in employees. The permanent staff are very unsupportive and tend to gossip or backstab. It was great at first until you realise how unorganised the work place is.
very fun experience
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manukau City, Auckland15 April 2018
working at NOS has been a great experience as i have a great team members to work with. Good management, have learn a lot from NOS
the most enjoyment part of the job is seeing customers satisfied and making customers happy with our services to them. the hardest part would be dealing with difficult customers.

By working at NOS i have learnt to be more confident when talking with customers, my communication skills got must better, learnt how to manage the store in busy time of the year, and how to make customers happy.

what i love about NOS is that it keeps me busy as i enjoy keeping my hands busy with somethings.
Pros
free lunches on busy days
Cons
dealing with difficult customers on busy time
Small tight organisation
Merchandise Manager - Footwear (Former Employee) –  Auckland, New Zealand3 February 2018
Creating new ranges and product development was most enjoyable.
Flat Organisation structure.
Open seating plan.
Celebrate success.
Appreciated for job well done.
Pros
Free Coffee and Tea
Very Physical Job
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland10 December 2017
A typical day would be picking of orders of fruit and vegetable. Labelling and packing of these orders. Manager was very well organised and firm on what needed doing for that shift.
Pros
would be able to take left over fruit and vegetables after working over time
Cons
Great entry level, interpersonal job
Sales Assistant & High Level (Current Employee) –  Auckland25 November 2017
Typical day consists of pushing out stock and assisting customers- weekends are more customer service- centric. Great staff and management overall, opportunities to move up for those that want them.
Pros
Relatively easy and straightforward
Cons
Sore feet, rude customers
Got to meet a lot of new people and I've got to learn and know more about retailing
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Mount Wellington, Auckland2 November 2017
People who i did my experience with we're friendly they've helped me to improve on my communicating skills. They've taught me to not be shy and just be yourself when ever a customer comes into your store.
Pros
You come with your own lunch
Cons
7 hours
can be ok place to work
Support manager (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty2 October 2017
some team member's are terrible to work with, management is all about them selves and the pay is min wages and not great for the workload you sometimes have to do, great team at the tga stoe
Pros
the team
Cons
some managers
Give you Birthday off with pay
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland26 August 2017
Management were rude to shop staff.
As there were 2 shops Women's and Men's had to walk between them to give customer refunds.
Office was up stairs so to do any office work .
great store Queenstown
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, Otago3 August 2017
Storemanager and the team were so friendly and helpful. I loved the way I was treated . Store manager took care of the staff. manager really helped us and developed us to enjoy the customer service and take pride in the job really helps
Pros
great manager, free shoes, great team, fun
Cons
untidy customers, too many promotions at once
ok
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Botany, Auckland17 July 2017
ive learnt many things while at number ones for example, how to do stock, customer service, and working tills. While working at number ones ive met wonderful people who have great work ethic. Its a diverse work place where everyone gets along well. I think its a well manageable work place. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers that are unhappy.
Pros
discounts on shoes
Cons
go home late
Fun workplace, nice starting point for students and part-timers.
Part-Time Team Member (Former Employee) –  Botany Downs, Auckland23 May 2017
Having a greater focus on making sure we have ample stock and have full coverage of the products as advertised in the mailers and more, you and your team will ensure that your departments are up to standard and ready for the customers for the trading day.

Smooth communication between full time team members that are rostered in during the week, and the part time team members that usually take care of the store during the late night and weekend shifts is absolutely key. This enables all team members to be on the same page and help push sales and products in the right direction. Customers are key in this business, but making sure that we have the right products on offer in the first place will allow your team to make the greatest impact.

Customer service is of the greatest importance with Number One Shoes, so you will be provided with the support and training in order for you to develop your skills not only as a sales assistant, but also as an individual. Your more experienced team members will also support you with your development through constant interaction with them.

Management is not one of Number One Shoes' strongest points, as the consistency of values and goals that managers see in the business will vary. So having a flexible mind, and being open to change will be your greatest asset to ensure you aren't overwhelmed by the constant change.

The most enjoyable part of working here is the family support and environment that you will notice not only within your team, but through communications with the support office, and with the customer base. But in saying that,
  more... it is not easy to maintain such a high standard of customer service, however the rewards are definitely reflective of the hard work.  less
Enjoyable at times, slightly boring
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Whakatu, Hawke's Bay20 February 2017
The hardest part of the job was not being able to talk as much as you usually do, but being able to work with people you don't know and getting to make new friends. I learnt a variety of new shoes.
Pros
Free shoes
Cons
Dusty, very dirty
Team Member (High Level) (Current Employee) –  Hastings, Hawke's Bay1 January 2017
This company and store in particular have been amazing. Helping me grow and develop into the young lady I am today. They have been more than a family to me. I have been able to shine my abilities in retail which i didn't know I had. Management have gone above and beyond for me I am truly thankful for. They have helped me develop into higher roles each year. Co-workers have awesome work ethic and are a great bunch to work with. Hardest part about the job is being able to convert customers into buying as there isn't much of a size range for many people here in New Zealand. I enjoyed developing my knowledge within the company and picking up responsibilities within the store.
Pros
Family orientated team
Cons
Communication
Productive and fun workplace
Junior Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pukekohe, Auckland17 November 2016
It is a very good industry to start work experience especially if you have not experienced working. They always put customers first and they are always willing to help. I have learned what replent is and how to deal with customers. Being a person that had never worked before I got into work experience with Number One Shoes I learnt that customers is an important key in a working industry as they will help the company succeed. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was sorting the different shoes.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough hours
A good place to start.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Botany Downs, Auckland12 April 2016
This job is very intense, but if you want to make a career out of retail I think this is a very good place to start in retail. It's very fast pace in the bigger Number One Stores. You learn quite alot from stock merchandising, fitting other stores to customer service. You need to be alert and very proactive. You also need to be physically fit as there is alot of moving around you need to be doing.

The hours are very up and down. Some weeks you can under 10 hours, the next you could have over 40 hours depending if you're a part timer or not.

My favourite part of the job was the people I worked with. They were like family. You work with people of all ages and walks of life. I really appreciated it very much and miss the team I worked with that it's probably one of the best teams I've worked with.
Pros
Appreciated for work done, Staff Room, Good Company Culture, Caring Management
Cons
Too long or Too short hours, Workload can be overwhelming at times.
Shoes
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  whakatane nz7 April 2016
While working at number one shoes I meet alot of good people and learnt alot about customer service, which will help me further my skills in any future employment I receive.
Loved working for this company
Number 1 shoes master ton - Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  queen street masterton15 February 2016
Really loved my job working in the office at cabernet foods limited. great company to work for and the salary was more than reasonable. I was very sad the day I left cabernet as I learnt so much there and would have loved to have stayed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Number One Shoes. Our community is ready to answer.