Number One Shoes
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Number One Shoes Employee Reviews

New Zealand40 reviews
Great company to work for and offer great deals for staff. Higher Management are great and listen to our needs. You feel happy going to work and get recognition when deserved.
Management were rude to shop staff.
As there were 2 shops Women's and Men's had to walk between them to give customer refunds.

Office was up stairs so to do any office work .
Storemanager and the team were so friendly and helpful. I loved the way I was treated . Store manager took care of the staff. manager really helped us and developed us to enjoy the customer service and take pride in the job really helps
Pros
great manager, free shoes, great team, fun
Cons
untidy customers, too many promotions at once
ive learnt many things while at number ones for example, how to do stock, customer service, and working tills. While working at number ones ive met wonderful people who have great work ethic. Its a diverse work place where everyone gets along well. I think its a well manageable work place. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers that are unhappy.
Pros
discounts on shoes
Cons
go home late
Having a greater focus on making sure we have ample stock and have full coverage of the products as advertised in the mailers and more, you and your team will ensure that your departments are up to standard and ready for the customers for the trading day.

Smooth communication between full time team members that are rostered in during the week, and the part time team members that usually take care of the store during the late night and weekend shifts is absolutely key. This enables all team members to be on the same page and help push sales and products in the right direction. Customers are key in this business, but making sure that we have the right products on offer in the first place will allow your team to make the greatest impact.

Customer service is of the greatest importance with Number One Shoes, so you will be provided with the support and training in order for you to develop your skills not only as a sales assistant, but also as an individual. Your more experienced team members will also support you with your development through constant interaction with them.

Management is not one of Number One Shoes' strongest points, as the consistency of values and goals that managers see in the business will vary. So having a flexible mind, and being open to change will be your greatest asset to ensure you aren't overwhelmed by the constant change.

The most enjoyable part of working here is the family support and environment that you will notice not only within your team, but through communications with the support office, and with the customer base. But in saying that,
 - more...
The hardest part of the job was not being able to talk as much as you usually do, but being able to work with people you don't know and getting to make new friends. I learnt a variety of new shoes.
Pros
Free shoes
Cons
Dusty, very dirty
This company and store in particular have been amazing. Helping me grow and develop into the young lady I am today. They have been more than a family to me. I have been able to shine my abilities in retail which i didn't know I had. Management have gone above and beyond for me I am truly thankful for. They have helped me develop into higher roles each year. Co-workers have awesome work ethic and are a great bunch to work with. Hardest part about the job is being able to convert customers into buying as there isn't much of a size range for many people here in New Zealand. I enjoyed developing my knowledge within the company and picking up responsibilities within the store.
Pros
Family orientated team
Cons
Communication
It is a very good industry to start work experience especially if you have not experienced working. They always put customers first and they are always willing to help. I have learned what replent is and how to deal with customers. Being a person that had never worked before I got into work experience with Number One Shoes I learnt that customers is an important key in a working industry as they will help the company succeed. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was sorting the different shoes.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough hours
This job is very intense, but if you want to make a career out of retail I think this is a very good place to start in retail. It's very fast pace in the bigger Number One Stores. You learn quite alot from stock merchandising, fitting other stores to customer service. You need to be alert and very proactive. You also need to be physically fit as there is alot of moving around you need to be doing.

The hours are very up and down. Some weeks you can under 10 hours, the next you could have over 40 hours depending if you're a part timer or not.

My favourite part of the job was the people I worked with. They were like family. You work with people of all ages and walks of life. I really appreciated it very much and miss the team I worked with that it's probably one of the best teams I've worked with.
Pros
Appreciated for work done, Staff Room, Good Company Culture, Caring Management
Cons
Too long or Too short hours, Workload can be overwhelming at times.
While working at number one shoes I meet alot of good people and learnt alot about customer service, which will help me further my skills in any future employment I receive.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Number One Shoes?
Really loved my job working in the office at cabernet foods limited. great company to work for and the salary was more than reasonable. I was very sad the day I left cabernet as I learnt so much there and would have loved to have stayed
Family team bond is missing ,bullying in the work place gossip etc. leaders do not understand how team works and whats good for the team.
Cons
Team bonding
At Number One Shoes I would help serve customers and help find them what they need and want. I would also do recovery when the shop was quiet and let in stock, also putting stock out into the shop.

My co-workers were very professional but fun at the same time, they always made long days go quicker.

I learned a great deal of patience while at Number One Shoes. And how to deal with unhappy customers.
Loved each and everyday at work.

Learned to Manage my time and work

The most enjoyable part of the job was the team meetings
Pros
Treats by the company
Cons
short breaks
A really great place to start your retail experience with plenty of opportunities for advancement, fast paced, every day is different, always had good team members
My day to day job here was to run the shop. Sole charge. I really loved my job with number one shoes.
Great friendly work environment
Awesome work team

Always fun
Start the shift with signing into work and locking personal belongings.
Complete daily tasks by 2 pm. Cleaning duties to be completed before the end of each shift. Recover and replenish from the stock room. and general customer service throughout the day.

Weekly trading summary reported to the manager each week.
Pros
Training on a staff website available at the workplace.
Cons
weekend work
I loved working at number one shoes was a fun place to be but needed more ours.

I loved working there very relaxing and new every roll. I learned about retail and how to handle customers. my co workers were friendly.
Pros
got bonuses
Cons
not enough ours
- Full on day with Customer Service. Stock placement & replenishment.
- Confidence, Sales skills, Product knowledge, Cash handling, Checkout operations, Merchandising & Customer Service.

- Lead by example, Motivated the team, Confident, Directed, Planned, Assigned tasked & followed up.

- Team player, Worked for the same goal, Helpful, Motivated & Customer focused.

- When we have to say no to the customer (Out of stock)

- When we achieve sales target, Task completed on time.
Pros
2 free pairs of seasonal shoes
Cons
shoplifters