NZ Army Employee Reviews

army life
joined the army 2008 straight from high school. I joined as a medic first then a year later trade change to a Administrator for 6 years then joined reserved forces as a supplier logisitics. rejoined regular force 2015 as suptech logistics. here I learnt about warehousing, freight distribution, I gain a International air transport association qualification where I am qualified to send dangerous goods overseas.
As a administrator I gained, communication skills, networking, intermediate standard of computer skills, planning and tasking, management. I gain more experience than real qualifications in this role.
Pros
free medical and dental
Cons
spent alot of time away from family
New Zealand Army Review
SHIFT LEADER / KITCHENHAND (Former Employee) –  Burnham, Canterbury3 April 2019
I loved my time with the Military. I was made redundant in 2017, otherwise I would still be there. In my time there I met a lot of wonderful people, from all walks of life. I learned all the skills I needed for formal and informal catering for large groups. the hardest part of the job was during the Christchurch earthquakes, yet in some ways it was the best, because the army is a family that takes care of its own. Management were wonderful to me when my husband was ill with cancer. They made it possible to see him every day, while allowing me to fit my work hours around this. A typical day at work was catering, while it was hard work, it was fun and very rewarding.
Pros
Free food, Superannuation, Study Leave, Great lifetime friends.
Stress workplace
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Linton, Manawatu-Wanganui25 June 2017
A job for some and a purpose for others

NZ ARMY is the pinnacle of the defence force alongside the Royal New Zealand Navy and the royal New Zealand airforce in both supporting in overseas operations and domestic operations from security of a camp/compound to helping keep the communities morale high
Pros
Free dental, medical
Cons
24 hours a day
A professional and dedicated organisation ready to serve New Zealand and her interests.
Lead Training Planner (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury9 May 2016
Professional
Mission Focussed
People Orientated
A very good set of values
Good leadership
Well equipped and resourced
Good balance between work and family life
Great experince
Gunner, OCP Operation Command Post, RNZA Artilery (Former Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago20 March 2016
Life changing time for a young man. I gained experience and life long friends. I encourage any person to enter military service. Very big part of who I am today.
A very social and hardworking environment
Crewman, Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles, Linton (Former Employee) –  Linton,13 January 2016
A challenging career with a multitude of diverse skills to learn.
From employing soldiers in a tactical environment to maintaining your uniform to a high standard. The NZ Army has taught me a lot about maintaining disciplinary standards, equipment husbandry, how to effectively employ myself and soldiers under my command to best achieve our commanders' intents. There are also a few perks with the NZ army such as various courses, education, licencing, the ability to travel on exchanges and operations. The best part about the career was the social environment. The soldiers and officers are not just your work colleagues but your mates as well.
Pros
Free lunches in the garrison environments. Free meals in the field
Cons
Sentry duties at night
Work
Team Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Linton7 June 2015
Overall a good business to work for. A company that puts its workers first, with a great sense of achievement. The mix of work and life can be a struggle if you have a young family, so flexibility as an individual is very important if you decide to work for this company.
Changes
Senior Electronic Warfare Operator (Current Employee) –  Burnham11 May 2013
The army along with the entire defence force has experienced many changes recently which has eroded a lot of the loyalty that existed.
My typical day involves Meetings with the command team (of which I am part of), conducting planning tasks both present and future focused, account for security items, deal with any issues that may arise from the meetings or from personnel, liaising with outside agencies and produce documentation in support of any Squadron issues.
Pros
Free gym/fitness training, uniform provided.
Cons
Difficult with family life, no longer a carear-just a job (major change and dissapointing)
Excellent team environment at the grass roots level
Learning Designer (Current Employee) –  Burnham, Christchurch14 August 2012
I have learnt the foundations for successful training and design
Pros
work life balance