NZ Bus
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NZ Bus Employee Reviews

pool table
enjoyed my time with NZ BUS had alot of friends there the shifts were very easy and I knew where I was going all the time the management team was alright and very fair but that was my first job so of course I would of enjoyed it
My favourite place
I learned so much about my capabilities here. They offer variety, training and most importantly, they give you confidence. I miss working here. I’ve not found a job which allows me to a great deal of challenge as NZ Bus did for me.
Most toxic work environment in Wellington!
Toxic work environment at NZ BUS Kilbirnie!!! Give this company a definite miss. Much better opportunities for bus operators out there. The operators are trained without taking any personal needs or circumstances into account. Drivers are not ready to face the unreasonable demands set by management. Very dangerous working conditions. Management sweet talks trainees, with NO support after you pass your exit exam.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention here.
Shut up and do as you are told
For the drivers it can be very challenging work driving around Auckland in peak hours. Getting leave approved is very hard due to staff shortage. No benefit or bonus for high performers. Union also not helping the company to be more efficient and positive. New route training wasn't enough and drivers were forced to carry lives to streets and areas that they weren't trained for at night. If you are not a white person don't bother apply for any management role. I have seen many coloured workers who are capable but weren't even shortlisted for interview chances. Run by australasian capital/fund management company enough said for staff welfare.
Pros
Pays salary/wage on time every week
Cons
Bad management and low staff morale
Company losing the way, top heavy with out of touch management
Started well, enjoyed my times as driver and advancements, but latterly the day's have become chores as any suggestions at improvements we cold make were thwarted and restricted, and so many promises were broken. Glad to be out.
Good workplace
It was good in the beginning but becomes very stressful because there is a new routes drivers need to learn and moving to the base long way from home.
nice place to work
nice place to work, unfortunately due to resizing i was made redundant and there were no suitable roles to move into.

my role is specialised so no advancement
Pros
great place to work
Cons
poor culture in some areas
Organization with excellent work culture and values
i have thoroughly enjoyed my tenure with NZ Bus. This is the only Organization i have worked with since i been in New Zealand since 2008. I have really feel valued being with them. There are so many growth opportunities for individuals to grab.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Council's competitive tendering model can become a potential risk for Business going forward
Present employee...
As other people have mentioned.... it has changed hands to many times... Pay rates at present for an 'old hand' is just over NZ $21.00 yet some trucking companies start their driving staff on $25.00 plus allowances. No matter what is said, NZ Bus will not listen. Stupid shifts with long hours, we work all shifts all hours yet are not allowed to claim the extra weeks holiday or other allowances paid to shift workers... Absolutely no support from upper management
When I first started we had a great social club, good hours, subsidised cafeteria and had a real good management team.

Now it seems AT have their hand,feet and mouth in the pie telling the company do do it THEIR way only.
Pros
Non left
Cons
nearly everything one can think of
Can be a good workplace
MY typical day starts at 5pm and finishes at 1.30am. It is a physical job and i walk about a average of 10kms a night it is a big depot. My supervisor is a great guy i work very hard and do a good job so he leaves me to it. We are a little team at nights most of them are good and we get along great but there is always one bad one. It is a very hard job but very rewarding for me when i see the great joib i have done turning a filthy bus into a very clean one.
Pros
my work hours
Cons
lots of walking
Productive and fun work place with pool table.
It was great to be part of New Zealands biggest bus industry company . Fun work place with supportive management.Every day was new challenge and you really enjoy meeting new peoples,greeting them,helping them .The most enjoyable part of this job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.There was a lot of variety in what I did each day,ranging from training new trainees and operating buses and handling correct fares.Doing these duties was challenging and exciting.
Pros
Free Meal Allowance
Cons
Long Hours
High staff turnover
NZ Bus start out trainee's ( en masse ) with seemingly very upbeat hype when you start out, the training for your " P" endorsement is very well done, however due to the high staff turnover they have introduced fixed 2 year contracts for people starting out, if you leave before your signed contract is up, then you will be required to pay several thousand dollors back to the company.

There are some real dunderheads for fellow drivers, you could start anywhere from 5.30 in the morning till finish of Midnight on a rolling 7 day roster.

The best part of the job is the csutomers, most were pretty good, you had to watch the late night boozers on fridays or Saturday nights.

There is a serious old boys network in the company, the drivers there longest get the most cushy jobs and the pick of the shifts that work in with home life, newbies will be newbies for years before they get decent shifts.
Pros
new buses to drive, regular pay, good training, you make some good friends among the drivers
Cons
long hours, broken shifts ( only long term employes get fixed shifts ) no on board active cameras
No advancement opportunities
The overall culture of this company needs to be improved and the human assets have to be recognised and appreciated.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Long hours with split shifts
A job till you find a better one
The job as a whole is OK but if any complaints come in about you there is absolutely no backup from HR, the driver always seems to be in the wrong, you learn that its better not to talk to anyone while driving, management have no idea on how to run a bus company or talk with the drivers, the majority of the drivers are nice people,the hardest part of the job is dealing with managements incompetence, the best part was going home time
Pros
Split shifts if you lived close to work
Cons
Dealing with the general public was hard
fun workplace
A typical day at work can be extremely stressful, especially when at times you recieve no back up support from management. Then again you do have some really great fun drivers who are supportive.
What I learned is time management skills & customer services.

Co-workers, some were really great too work with, others I wouldn't spend the time of day with them.

The hardest part of the job was Lack of Senior Management Support & as well as Lack of Middle Management Support & Communication.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting my passengers.
Cons
long hours, variable shift patterns
The company is very good - nature of business
A good company to work for. There are plenty of opportunities for growth. Has good values and is well structured.
Pros
balance in work and personal life
Cons
management has changed hands once too often, is unsetteling for employees
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NZ Bus. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8