NZ Bus
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NZ Bus Employee Reviews in Auckland City, Auckland

Auckland City, Auckland12 reviews
It was good in the beginning but becomes very stressful because there is a new routes drivers need to learn and moving to the base long way from home.
Extremely stressful place to work. I say this because it is shift work with very little work life balance. There is too little time given between runs and too few toilets around. You are also expected to know too many runs. Bus stops and passengers are VERY difficult to see in the dark.
When I started driving for NZ Bus, I loved it. But time constraints on runs lead to stress levels increasing.

My collegues were fabulous however management were never proactive in alleviating stress and fatigue.

If you are young and don't mind working lots of hours that's fine. However it isn't right to need to work over 40 hours per week just to survive in Auckland.
I learned so much about my capabilities here. They offer variety, training and most importantly, they give you confidence. I miss working here. I’ve not found a job which allows me to a great deal of challenge as NZ Bus did for me.
For the drivers it can be very challenging work driving around Auckland in peak hours. Getting leave approved is very hard due to staff shortage. No benefit or bonus for high performers. Union also not helping the company to be more efficient and positive. New route training wasn't enough and drivers were forced to carry lives to streets and areas that they weren't trained for at night. If you are not a white person don't bother apply for any management role. I have seen many coloured workers who are capable but weren't even shortlisted for interview chances. Run by australasian capital/fund management company enough said for staff welfare.
Pros
Pays salary/wage on time every week
Cons
Bad management and low staff morale
i have thoroughly enjoyed my tenure with NZ Bus. This is the only Organization i have worked with since i been in New Zealand since 2008. I have really feel valued being with them. There are so many growth opportunities for individuals to grab.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Council's competitive tendering model can become a potential risk for Business going forward
As other people have mentioned.... it has changed hands to many times... Pay rates at present for an 'old hand' is just over NZ $21.00 yet some trucking companies start their driving staff on $25.00 plus allowances. No matter what is said, NZ Bus will not listen. Stupid shifts with long hours, we work all shifts all hours yet are not allowed to claim the extra weeks holiday or other allowances paid to shift workers... Absolutely no support from upper management
When I first started we had a great social club, good hours, subsidised cafeteria and had a real good management team.

Now it seems AT have their hand,feet and mouth in the pie telling the company do do it THEIR way only.
Pros
Non left
Cons
nearly everything one can think of
MY typical day starts at 5pm and finishes at 1.30am. It is a physical job and i walk about a average of 10kms a night it is a big depot. My supervisor is a great guy i work very hard and do a good job so he leaves me to it. We are a little team at nights most of them are good and we get along great but there is always one bad one. It is a very hard job but very rewarding for me when i see the great joib i have done turning a filthy bus into a very clean one.
Pros
my work hours
Cons
lots of walking
It was great to be part of New Zealands biggest bus industry company . Fun work place with supportive management.Every day was new challenge and you really enjoy meeting new peoples,greeting them,helping them .The most enjoyable part of this job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.There was a lot of variety in what I did each day,ranging from training new trainees and operating buses and handling correct fares.Doing these duties was challenging and exciting.
Pros
Free Meal Allowance
Cons
Long Hours
The overall culture of this company needs to be improved and the human assets have to be recognised and appreciated.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Long hours with split shifts
A typical day at work would be to drive the bus for 4-5 hours, have a break of 30 minutes or more, then resume driving to complete an 8-9 hour day. I learned a lot about people, of patience and how to manage stress and timekeeping. I thought the management of the company was more concerned about revenue than the well-being of its passengers and drivers. My co-workers were mainly helpful and always ready with a funny story or quip to help ease the stress. The hardest part of the job would have to be remaining alert and focussed AT ALL TIMES! A moment of day-dreaming could result in you missing someone's stop or more seriously, a road accident. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting out and about, meeting new people and being a part of an awesome team.
Pros
A bus card for ourselves and one nominee allowing free rides on our buses
Cons
Long hours. For 4 years I worked broken shifts where you worked for 4 hours, had a 3-4 hour break, then back to work another 4-5 hours.
A typical day at work can be extremely stressful, especially when at times you recieve no back up support from management. Then again you do have some really great fun drivers who are supportive.
What I learned is time management skills & customer services.

Co-workers, some were really great too work with, others I wouldn't spend the time of day with them.

The hardest part of the job was Lack of Senior Management Support & as well as Lack of Middle Management Support & Communication.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting my passengers.
Cons
long hours, variable shift patterns
A good company to work for. There are plenty of opportunities for growth. Has good values and is well structured.
Pros
balance in work and personal life
Cons
management has changed hands once too often, is unsetteling for employees