NZ Bus
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NZ Bus Employee Reviews for Bus Driver

Bus Driver11 reviews
New Zealand11 reviews
enjoyed my time with NZ BUS had alot of friends there the shifts were very easy and I knew where I was going all the time the management team was alright and very fair but that was my first job so of course I would of enjoyed it
Extremely stressful place to work. I say this because it is shift work with very little work life balance. There is too little time given between runs and too few toilets around. You are also expected to know too many runs. Bus stops and passengers are VERY difficult to see in the dark.
When I started driving for NZ Bus, I loved it. But time constraints on runs lead to stress levels increasing.

My collegues were fabulous however management were never proactive in alleviating stress and fatigue.

If you are young and don't mind working lots of hours that's fine. However it isn't right to need to work over 40 hours per week just to survive in Auckland.
They were good to me, but I had been there since 1995. Times and management have changed.
You can get various NZ qualifications from driving a Bus, including Health and Safety, risk reduction techniques and strategies, learn how to avoid hazards, first aid,and time management.

I enjoyed driving a bus and meeting new people everyday.

The hardest part of the job was watching someone else drive the bus after you, and seeing them drive carelessly.

My most enjoyable part of the job was starting out each day. It wasn't just a job to me, it was a hobby.
Pros
Meeting new people everyday.
Cons
I was only doing 40 hours a week, but I see the shifts have changed now.
Toxic work environment at NZ BUS Kilbirnie!!! Give this company a definite miss. Much better opportunities for bus operators out there. The operators are trained without taking any personal needs or circumstances into account. Drivers are not ready to face the unreasonable demands set by management. Very dangerous working conditions. Management sweet talks trainees, with NO support after you pass your exit exam.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention here.
It was good in the beginning but becomes very stressful because there is a new routes drivers need to learn and moving to the base long way from home.
It was great to be part of New Zealands biggest bus industry company . Fun work place with supportive management.Every day was new challenge and you really enjoy meeting new peoples,greeting them,helping them .The most enjoyable part of this job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.There was a lot of variety in what I did each day,ranging from training new trainees and operating buses and handling correct fares.Doing these duties was challenging and exciting.
Pros
Free Meal Allowance
Cons
Long Hours
NZ Bus start out trainee's ( en masse ) with seemingly very upbeat hype when you start out, the training for your " P" endorsement is very well done, however due to the high staff turnover they have introduced fixed 2 year contracts for people starting out, if you leave before your signed contract is up, then you will be required to pay several thousand dollors back to the company.

There are some real dunderheads for fellow drivers, you could start anywhere from 5.30 in the morning till finish of Midnight on a rolling 7 day roster.

The best part of the job is the csutomers, most were pretty good, you had to watch the late night boozers on fridays or Saturday nights.

There is a serious old boys network in the company, the drivers there longest get the most cushy jobs and the pick of the shifts that work in with home life, newbies will be newbies for years before they get decent shifts.
Pros
new buses to drive, regular pay, good training, you make some good friends among the drivers
Cons
long hours, broken shifts ( only long term employes get fixed shifts ) no on board active cameras
The overall culture of this company needs to be improved and the human assets have to be recognised and appreciated.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Long hours with split shifts
A typical day at work would be to drive the bus for 4-5 hours, have a break of 30 minutes or more, then resume driving to complete an 8-9 hour day. I learned a lot about people, of patience and how to manage stress and timekeeping. I thought the management of the company was more concerned about revenue than the well-being of its passengers and drivers. My co-workers were mainly helpful and always ready with a funny story or quip to help ease the stress. The hardest part of the job would have to be remaining alert and focussed AT ALL TIMES! A moment of day-dreaming could result in you missing someone's stop or more seriously, a road accident. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting out and about, meeting new people and being a part of an awesome team.
Pros
A bus card for ourselves and one nominee allowing free rides on our buses
Cons
Long hours. For 4 years I worked broken shifts where you worked for 4 hours, had a 3-4 hour break, then back to work another 4-5 hours.
I find NZBUS a great place to work and help the community by helping people get to where they need to be and work along side like minded people!
Pros
free lunches sometimes!
Cons
long hours, no social life!
A typical day at work can be extremely stressful, especially when at times you recieve no back up support from management. Then again you do have some really great fun drivers who are supportive.
What I learned is time management skills & customer services.

Co-workers, some were really great too work with, others I wouldn't spend the time of day with them.

The hardest part of the job was Lack of Senior Management Support & as well as Lack of Middle Management Support & Communication.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting my passengers.
Cons
long hours, variable shift patterns