NZ Post

NZ Post Employee Reviews for Team Leader

3.9Pay & Benefits
3.6Job Security & Advancement
Busy working environment
Trainee Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Te Puni Mail centre, Petone, Wellington23 September 2013
A typical day at work would involve setting up the team for the day ahead with a team brief which will inform staff of forecast mail volumes and any other relevant information followed by a quick set of pre work stretches. My job was to match resource to volume of mail in the required areas and keeping my operations leader informed of progress through out the shift. I would collect data every hour as well as making sure the mail was flowing through the area's to meet daily target times. With the data collected I would then determine the productivity of each work area and provide feedback to the staff. At the end of the shift I would then compose a report of volumes and productivity with any important notes and send it to all relevant members of my team.
In my time in this position, I learned how to build and maintain relationships with a vast spectrum of people and keep them engaged in the workplace. People management, reporting, problem solving, and computer skills were all gained in my time in this position.
Sometimes, under pressure and nearing our cut off times would be challenging if the volume of mail was perceived as being greater than the resources required to meet target and some hard decisions always had to be made.
The most enjoyable part would have to be the all of the lovely people i worked with as well as walking out of the building with the satisfaction of a job well done.
Pros
night rate
Cons
working across 3 shifts with short notice of change
Job with many challenges
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand18 June 2013
No two days were ever the same at NZ Post. The job itself is very challenging. You need to prioritise as you only get a short time with your staff so communication is vital in your role as Team Leader. I have highlighted a lot of duties in my CV. You learn that you need to let staff know that you are Team Leader. With so many staff to control they try their best to try and control you but you have to be very stern otherwise they could run right over you. At the same time to let them know they can approach you on a personal level.

My co-workers and I supported one another. If one needed assistance because of staff shortages we would assist in any way we could. Weekly meetings were held so we were all on the same wave length and knowing how we were doing within our own teams

The hardest part of the job was informing my team I was leaving

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my team turn up to work with smiles on their faces and knowing they enjoyed turning up to work
Pros
Job finish, working outside in lovely weather
Cons
Wet/Windy/Cold days
Challenges in the Delivery Team Leader Role.
Mail Processing Team Leader - Current. (Current Employee) –  Broadway, Newmarket Auckland14 April 2013
Have enjoyed the duties as a Delivery Team Leader. Have developed many skills in this role. i.e Leadership, Consistency and Good communication.
Pros
rewards: bonuses
Cons
keeping complaints down.
Productive and fun working enviroment
Trainee Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Highbrook South Auckland22 November 2012
a typical day includes leading and motivating a team of 10-80 process workers, to meet the daily flow of mail by very strict deadlines.
I learnt alot from working for New Zealand Post, as a relatively inexperienced manager, simple office place pollitics, managing workflows, examining and improving processes.
My co workers were all friendly NZPost is a very kiwi company with very kiwi employee's.
The hardest part of my job was accurately predicting the management of workflows to meet deadlines.
The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that my staff appreciated the hard work that I put into developing their skills and pushing them to give more than the bare minimum.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
its very easy to settle into this job and become stagnant
Not a very nice place to work.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dunedin Ports mouth Drive4 August 2012
As a Team leader with New Zealand Post you never got the support of management they were for ever moving the goal posts every time you achieved the target they made it harder.
At one stage I had 15 posties to deliver Twenty rounds of mail and was told to cope.
I did for awhile but it just got to hard on the Posties and myself doing the Team Leaders job and delivering mail wears you out.
So I left post my replacement was on stress leave with in six months go figure and resigned after 12 months did anyone wonder why???I very much dought it.
The company has SOME very good staff the workers Im talking about.
Management need to have a very hard look at them selfs especially our human resourse team who are telling you what to do and how to run your Team when they themselfs have had no exsperience in manageing people in the work place.
Reading out of a book does not take the needs of real people into account.
Pros
nothing springs to mind.
Cons
long hours. to many kilometers a week to walk. dunedins terrain is very hard on their posties.