O-I (Owens-Illinois)
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

O-I (Owens-Illinois) Employee Reviews in Lapel, IN

Lapel, IN9 reviews
Manual Labor
Not terribly fun to work in, but paid well. It was manual labor which should say it all. Company provides opportunities for extra hours on top of the already 40 minimum work weeks.
Management is horrible
There i's no communication..the men treat you with disrespect an talk to you in a nasty manner you tell management an they tell you deal with it. The smoke in the hiding places over half including management do drugs an drink on site
work
A lot of hours lot of stress and responsibility a lack of backing from the plant upper management. I would be told to get something done doing what ever it took when I did there was no backing. My supervisor has been terminated from the company.
Pros
Pay
Swing shift is insane
Although the pay and benefits were good, the swing shift is no way to run a company. I was told that the union employees voted to keep the swing shift and that's why it is still in effect. While I worked there, everyone was looking for another job because of the swing shift and poor management.
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Swing shift
people are great to work with
There is never just a normal day its always different either runs good or runs bad that's just how it is in the glass industry. It is extremely hot environment, always something new to learn everyday. management mainly gives you a hard time which makes your job a lot harder shift bosses are cool, the higher bosses are hard to get along with. co-workers its all on how you get along with people.
hardest part of the job is the heat. The most enjoyable part of the job is the friends you make in there, they are what makes the job great. I love making glass
Great benefits and pay but a difficult weekly rotating schedule.
You work a weekly rotating schedule.
7 days in a row with 2 days off in between.

As a supervisor you typically work 11 hours a day.

Benefits and pay are excellent but the work schedule is tough.
Dysfunctional
Management style is flavor of the month. In 12 years watched the company go from a traditional management to engaging people by creating a "wellness culrure", to "people are like rubber bands, you have to keep them under constant tension."

Company has no concept of preventive maintenance or process control. They do run the process faster than the capabilities and blame the operators for production instability. Equipment is not maintained and the atmosphere is a constant crisis management.

There is no understanding of safety. Facility averages 12 to 16 recordable per year. The biggest challenge to safety is constantly fighting process instability and being distracted from the surrounding hazards.

Production, safety, and work culture were all better before Al Stroken scrapped the Wellness Culture concept and desired hr to be a "profit center". Corporate resources were better before they laid off 1/3 of the Tech Center days before Christmas a couple years ago.
Pros
Health insurance for Union is a Cadillac plan
Cons
Dysfunctional management
Good pay and benefits
Horrible work schedules. No consideration for employees and their families.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Miserable work schedule and working conditions in winter and summer.
Intense heat during summer months
Owens might be the perfect swing shift job for the right person just not me.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
EXTREME heat
Ask a question about working or interviewing at O-I (Owens-Illinois). Our community is ready to answer.