O-I (Owens-Illinois)

O-I (Owens-Illinois) Employee Reviews in Toano, VA

Management portrays a guise of health & safety...
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Toano, VA19 January 2020
The rotating swing shifts on a weekly basis take a negative toll on human health, happiness and relationships. The working environment engendered by management, takes a very serious toll on human health (i.e. high levels of microwave frequencies emitted from numerous commercial WiFi transmitters located throughout the facility). Many employees have discernible problems (i.e. joint pain, premature ageing issues, psychological/behavioral issues, etc...) Despite bringing such issues to managements attention, nothing discernible was done to change said circumstances. Be warned, the amount of electrical radiation inside this facility is extremely high and causes oxidative stress on biological entities. In addition, the company makes you aware that asbestos is present within the facility, so enter at your own risk!
Hated management. Crooked!!!
WAREHOUSE AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Toano31 October 2019
The workers are messy, management is crooked. Ive never worked in a place where management does drugs and sells the warehouse equipment but still have jobs. The benefits are great and pay is great. The swing shift is hatd on the body.
Production and safety
O-I forming L.P.A (Current Employee) –  Toano, VA26 October 2019
O-I has been a great work place for me going on 21 years. My job as L.P.A allows me to take charge of line production and less stress off supervision. I would be very interested in joining other plants to troubleshoot defects and help production.
Overall loved Owens Illinois, management unfair
Selector/Picker (Former Employee) –  Toano, VA10 September 2019
Owens Illinois is a very dangerous job. Making sure you are hydrated and constantly drinking water is the key to surviving in such hot conditions. All of my co workers were very nice and supportive. Swing shifts are not as bad as people make them out to be. Once you get the hang of them your body can adjust. The only negative thing about Owens Illinois is their HR representative.
Swing shifts
Lehr Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Toano, VA3 August 2019
Swing shifts are aweful... feel like you have no life.... no sick time... not enough vacation time.. easy job tho.. lack of communication.. barely get to see your fam because of swing shift... always tired...
Great job
Operator (Former Employee) –  Toano, VA2 August 2019
Great place yo work and make good money. You could go in on your off days and make overtime whenever you want.Every week you get paid. Opportunities to move around in the company also.
Dedicated team members
Assistant Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Toano, VA22 June 2018
The company is very employee safety oriented. Recognition of personnel who excel in their job are rewarded frequently. Production goals that were met monthly were celebrated.
Great salary
Machine Operator, forklift driver process checker (Former Employee) –  Toano, VA29 January 2018
I would not recommend this place for employment. The salary is great benefits good. Employees with 10 plus years and management makes the work environment hostile & harassing
Pros
salary
Cons
employees with 10 years & management
A Very Good Company To Work For!
Maintenance Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Toano, VA4 December 2017
Good planning is an everyday occurrence. The management is on top of their game. Good training allows this company to be very proficient. Co-workers work together very well to meet their goals.
Pros
Very organized and proficient!
Cons
Swing Shifts /Rotating Shifts
Love oi !
Production Selector (Former Employee) –  Toano, VA3 October 2017
OI pays very well, I will highly recommend this place !
I was a summer help there for three summers and my coworkers and upper management valued me a as full time employee.
Pros
Free Lunch break and pays really good
Cons
Swing shifts
Cool at times
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Toano, VA29 August 2017
Great pay. Hours suck at times but my biggest issue is I don't see an opportunity for blacks to move into salary positions which is extremely sad. Everything is based on the buddy system. Most people given salary jobs are guys who are friends with other salary guys whether they are capable of doing the job or not. This must change. Yet I doubt it will. I'm also positive corporate doesn't thoroughly evaluate their salary people because if they did they would learn that 60% of them should be allowed to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
Pros
Pay
Worse job ever
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Toano10 August 2014
Loud, dirty, management is terrible, union is a joke; NOT drug free, and management doesn't care about harassment either! No family life! Stay far far away!!! Will ruin any life you might want to hold stable.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Worse job ever/union is a joke
Selector (Current Employee) –  Toano, VA9 April 2014
Honestly don't know how this plant is still open. Dump glass every day on every shift, reject ware constantly, management has no control over staff, favoritism throughout the plant; promoting unqualified workers instead of hiring outside qualified and educated workers. Safety is a joke. If random drug tests were done, no one would have a job. If you have small children or want to keep your family intact, stay far away from this place! Rotate shifts every 5 days and no downtime.
Pros
Pay/insurance
Cons
Management & union is a joke
Owens-Illinois
Production Worker in Selecting Department (Former Employee) –  Toano, VA10 May 2012
OI was a summer time job for me. It opened my eyes and realized how glass bottles were made. The pay is great for being un skilled. However is was swing shift and night shift. It was also really hot at OI. OI makes glass bottles so they have a ovens making the bottles. During the summer time it was really hot.