O-I (Owens-Illinois)
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

O-I (Owens-Illinois) Employee Reviews in Tracy, CA

Tracy, CA13 reviews
Great pay for summer intern position. Would like a longer job but not currently avail.

My average work day consisted of stacking, sorting and packing bottles.
Terminated for violation of attendance policy due to diagnosed disease ( Valley Fever ) after 8 years of being an exemplary employee. Very unhappy with MGMT and Union persons involved.
Pros
Good Benefits and Salary
Cons
Poor Work Environment
Good Benefits and pay. Long hours on call 24/7. not a clean environment. Union workers, training could be better, good location , no commuting. well established
I am a lift driver in the warehouse. I know my job and what is expected of me. I am left to do my job with no one breathing down my neck (except occassional extra projects). I work a straight 8 hours and no mandatory o.t. It is rotating shifts, which is the toughest part of the job. I receive my schedule for the whole year in advance. I can plan out other activities accordingly. My supervisor is great at approving day off requests on work days. I like it here. It is steady to fast paced. My work day goes by fast. My warehouse co-workers are easy to get along with.
Pros
No mandatory o.t.! Good pay, benefits, etc.
Cons
Rotating shifts are definitely hard to get use to, but there are straight shift positions available every so often (by seniority)
Owens Illinois provides many opportunities for learning new systems and technologies. Management is very safety focused, but I witnessed several injuries and 1 fatality over my career with Owens and sustained chronic poor health during this time.

The time expectations are unreasonable. If you have a personal life, kiss it goodbye. If you miss a phone call at 4 in the morning, prepare to have your job threatened in the morning production meeting.

I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
There are lots of learning oppurtinies
Cons
Unreasonable expectaitons and hazardous working enviornment
Overall O-I was a good place to work. aside from the rotating shifts it was great.That was pretty much my only issue, There's racism, favoritism, and nepotism but I've found that to be present in every workplace whether it's admitted or not.I had to leave based on family issues that were impossible to overcome based on the rotating shift but they were good to me and I have very few unkind words for my O-I experience.
Very bad work life balance. It seems that most everything is negative in tone and nature. There is little teamwork, people work in silo's for self preservation.
Pros
Bonus program for salaried employees
Cons
Forced to work a Saturday and Sunday once month, with no compensating time off.
Hours varied week by week, but the pay is very good with benefits. Some days were more demanding than others based on where you were place, along with the pace other departments were at, which affects you work production.
The work environment is very fast paced and incredibly innovating. Working in this environment has sharpened my critical thinking and decision making skills. Interpersonal communication skills is extremely important in this career.
Pros
Environmentally conscious
Cons
Rotating work schedule
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at O-I (Owens-Illinois)?
work unsupervised , with out breaks at time ,meeting production goal, rotation shifts change to short ,, must work week end s and holidays , working in heat at time above 100 degrees with no air conditioning units working.
Pros
pay, benifits
Cons
rotation shift turn around to short weekly. work in hot, and uncomfotable heat
fun place to work,employees were friendly,i learned how to multi task more efficiently,time went by to quickly
Pros
free lunches when we reached maximum quota, time elasped very quickly
Cons
had to wear hairnets on bald head, bad parking, healthcare was poor, climate was extremely hot
OI is a good place to make good money if you are single and plan on staying that way, or if your kids are grown. But if you have young children or are beginning a marriage, it is the worst. They rotate your schedule weekly, and 90% of the time you work on the weekends. So forget about your social life. their "weekend" is really a gap of only 48 hours, literally, oh and by the way on a new schedule, like from swing to graveyards. this is detrimental to your health and biological clock, not to mention the lack of sleep puts you in a bad mood all the time. Like most other places, supervisors favor kiss ashes, they give the brown nosers the jobs they want, and give the dirtier jobs to people they don't like. There is absolutely no training, and most senior employees don't want to show you anything.
Pros
good pay, paid lunch
Cons
weekly rotating, no pension
i enjoyed the time when i was working at owens. the rotating shifts are tough but the pay is good.
Pros
its good becouse its union
Cons
loud work enviorment