O-I (Owens-Illinois)
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

O-I (Owens-Illinois) Employee Reviews in Waco, TX

Waco, TX14 reviews
Good place to work.
Owens is a fast paced job with a lot of walking. Once you get the job down it get's better. There is several different machines that is running and you have to keep them going.
Difficult to balance safety with production goals
Owens-Illinois is a company with many challenges to balance workplace safety with production goals. Management means to prioritize the health and safety of its employees but often finds themselves at odds with production goals.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Safety vs production goal balance
A lot of work hours as a manager , compensation really good. Poor live balance.
The hardest part of the job long daily hours . Good money poor live balance. Company give you lot but cost me a lot too. 24 hour operation none stop.
Typical day at work
My take on a normal day at work was not hard. Knew what I had to do when I came to work. Low key atmosphere to work in. I did not like getting laidoff. Wanted to really stay on there.
I resent this. I like my privacy. I should not be forced in to providing information of any kind that i do not wish to.
Not giving me the option stinks.

therefor i am just putting nothing of nothing down.
Job security is iffy
Really good workplace, pay and benefits are great but you are always going to be worried about job security. The latest layoff was in November of 2019.
Ok
Work environment is awful pay is great though. Some managers dont even know the business and cant/wont help with issues. More of a pass the buck environment
work place culture
Was hard to get on and the possibility of promotion is impossible. To much of a good ole boy environment. Made good money, but management needs to be retrained.
Work
I liked the work there, very easy going work ethic. Running the automated machine wasnt hard to learn. The management wasnt to good due to the fact that they never communicated things going on with the company.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lack of communication from upper management
They want to do right but appear not to know how
Overall they are sincere hardworking people. The challenges they face are not trivial. They live in a hugely competitive world. As usual with most big corporations, the corporate people tend to be thinkers and planners. The operational people (plant level) tend to be those with a bias for doing and acting quickly. The plant level is fast-paced due to end-to-end, connected, continuous processing. There is little tolerance for waiting when anything breaks. Hold on to your hat at the plant level.
workplace
O-I was a good steady secure job. My co-workers were like family. They stood my me through my divorce and decision to put my children first. I have only good things to say about the company
Pros
compensation and union
Cons
long hours in the heat
Great job!
I enjoyed the years I worked with Owen-Illinois. I was very beneficial for me as well as my family. I don't mind shift work so I was good with my schedule.
hot
very hot. not a clean place to work. dirty with glass and chemicals floating in the air. very unsafe areas. loud and very bad for health on people that work there.
Nightmarish
Totally out of control operation that offered little to no support to correct issues. Maintenance was always needed yet usually unavailable leaving the department struggling. Management offered lip service but no support. Union was difficult as well.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long and irregular hours with no real support.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at O-I (Owens-Illinois). Our community is ready to answer.