O-I (Owens-Illinois)
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

O-I (Owens-Illinois) Employee Reviews for Machine Operator

Owens is a fast paced job with a lot of walking. Once you get the job down it get's better. There is several different machines that is running and you have to keep them going.
This is the worst place i have ever worked. There are no advancement opportunities here unless you are extremely liked by management. If you are disliked for any possible reason you will be harassed and constantly written up. Schedule is horrible only on a different shift every week only 36 hours off between 3rd shift and 1st and only 2 weekends off per year. Definitely do not come here if your goal is to advance it does not matter how qualified you are to advance if management does not like you someone else unqualified for the job will be promoted out of spite.
Pros
good insurance, decent pay
Cons
bad management, no advancement opportunities, to many clicks and politics.
Not as much job security as I had thought. Pays well with good benefits. Hard to find another job when the layoff comes. Management thinks it’s just temporary but I am looking for a new job.
I had to leave sich an terrible workplace..people were miserable, but people put up with it bc they needed a paycheck. Felt racial tension ..in a black city, all upper management was white... No good
Descent pay and benefits. Swing shift schedule not the greatest.Good place to work though. I have worked at a lot worse places for less money. So if you can handle rotating 1st thru 3rd shifts you can handle working there.
Constant witch hunt from bully boy micro managers who have no clue about man management and just threaten you with daily warnings or even the sack. Whole workforce totally demoralised to point of resigning(some already have). New company changes mean more working days per year and one 3 week holiday per YEAR. Your punished for being off sick by not paying you and removing your bonus for that month. During your shift your on your own with no support regardless of whether you can cope or not, then treated like dirt for your efforts
Owens-Illinois, Inc. (NYSE: OI) is the world's largest glass container manufacturer and preferred partner for many of the world's leading food and beverage brands. The Company had revenues of $6.9 billion in 2017 and employs more than 26,500 people at 78 plants in 23 countries. With global headquarters in Perrysburg, Ohio, O-I delivers safe, sustainable, pure, iconic, brand-building glass packaging to a growing global marketplace.
Pros
Wages, benefits, close to home
Cons
Scheduling... away from family
Rotating shifts are the worst, job is easy, but there’s no room for advancement. Everything is by seniority and they lay the lowest off almost every year now. Management is all over the place and the slackers seem to be rewarded, while the hard workers get walked all over. All and all if they would just get rid of the rotating shift it really wouldn’t be a bad place to work for. Which I don’t see why they wouldn’t change this it seems like all the reviews say this but no one in this company cares to make their employees happy. Go down the seniority list like they do with everything else it’s really not that hard. They changed it to straight shifts for the mechanics and we are all in the same Union?! What’s the deal???
Pros
Decent pay/benefits, paid breaks
Cons
Rotating shifts
good company good benefits. breaktime paid. good salary. sick leave pay. holiday pay.Fast pace. An employee is sharing their knowledge to make our products better. We make sure the not only quantity but the quality is good for all bottle we made. And it environmental friendly, recyclable
Pros
beak time paid
Cons
healthcare, break time paid
O-I is a great place to work. The environment is calm and rewarding. We have great supervisors who care about the employees. the work is steady work, and there is Job security.
They pay very well and have amazing benefits. It is a union job so there is alot of perks. The hours are horible though, rotating shifts and 7 day work weeks.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours
You work a swing shift, so 5 days on day shift, then 5 on midnights, and 5 on afternoons so your sleeping schedule is never good. There is almost always unlimited overtime.
A lot of hours lot of stress and responsibility a lack of backing from the plant upper management. I would be told to get something done doing what ever it took when I did there was no backing. My supervisor has been terminated from the company.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Great pay. Hours suck at times but my biggest issue is I don't see an opportunity for blacks to move into salary positions which is extremely sad. Everything is based on the buddy system. Most people given salary jobs are guys who are friends with other salary guys whether they are capable of doing the job or not. This must change. Yet I doubt it will. I'm also positive corporate doesn't thoroughly evaluate their salary people because if they did they would learn that 60% of them should be allowed to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
Pros
Pay
Cons
Started off as a packer and worked my way to the QA lab, back up crew leader and machine operator. Advancement was available and awarded to people that earned it.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Plant closed
Rotating shifts all around. mornings 1 week swing the next and then graveyard after that. then start all over again. however once you get past that part it is a great place to work. Great pay. Fantastic benefits. No boss breathing down your neck. you do your job and your left alone to do it.
There is never just a normal day its always different either runs good or runs bad that's just how it is in the glass industry. It is extremely hot environment, always something new to learn everyday. management mainly gives you a hard time which makes your job a lot harder shift bosses are cool, the higher bosses are hard to get along with. co-workers its all on how you get along with people. hardest part of the job is the heat. The most enjoyable part of the job is the friends you make in there, they are what makes the job great. I love making glass
fun place to work,employees were friendly,i learned how to multi task more efficiently,time went by to quickly
Pros
free lunches when we reached maximum quota, time elasped very quickly
Cons
had to wear hairnets on bald head, bad parking, healthcare was poor, climate was extremely hot
Rotating shift was a pain for the system to adapt to, caused problems at home. Great opportunities to become involved in R&D projects with corporate engineers in process development of proprietary processes in the plastics industry.
Pros
Opportunitys to learn, travel
Cons
Rotating Shifts were a pain
This is not a company for someone like myselfBenefits and compensation are greatUnionized job
Pros
good money
Cons
no life with rotating shifts
I enjoyed working there until the company took over. The supervisor i had were good and I got to do all the overtime i wanted to do.